BIS is switching to "ecopak" recyclable packaging

Started by Brian, January 16, 2019, 07:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 24, 2019, 11:00:08 AM
My new Yevgeny Subdin late Beethoven sonatas came in a ecopak...no complaints!
Shrink wrap? How is it pulling out the CD?

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Brian on January 24, 2019, 06:23:58 PM
Shrink wrap? How is it pulling out the CD?
No shrink wrap--the "ecopak" sticker joined the two halves so nothing fell out. The disc is in one end of the pack--it comes out easily enough.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Tangentially, my biggest gripe with Jewel cases are the 2CD versions. The first ones they came out with were as wide as 3 or 4 individual jewel cases. What a waste of space. Then came the ones that fit in the space of a single jewel case, except for some reason they come in two different varieties. There is one type where secondary hinge corresponds to the primary hinge, and it opens like a book, and a second type where the secondary hinge is at the edge and it opens like a fanfold. Of course when you get one you have to guess which type it is and if you guess wrong you end up ripping the thing apart when you try to get the second disc out. Just irritating.

I doubt they could conceive of an ecopak that would be worse than the jewel case.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 26, 2019, 08:50:45 PM
Tangentially, my biggest gripe with Jewel cases are the 2CD versions. The first ones they came out with were as wide as 3 or 4 individual jewel cases. What a waste of space. Then came the ones that fit in the space of a single jewel case, except for some reason they come in two different varieties. There is one type where secondary hinge corresponds to the primary hinge, and it opens like a book, and a second type where the secondary hinge is at the edge and it opens like a fanfold. Of course when you get one you have to guess which type it is and if you guess wrong you end up ripping the thing apart when you try to get the second disc out. Just irritating.

I doubt they could conceive of an ecopak that would be worse than the jewel case.

It's actually very easy to see which type of 2-CD holder you'll be getting. Just open it up and look at it. Again, I think you're being a bit melodramatic about the whole jewel case thing.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Toccata&Fugue on January 25, 2019, 04:31:11 PM
No shrink wrap--the "ecopak" sticker joined the two halves so nothing fell out. The disc is in one end of the pack--it comes out easily enough.

Does the sticker have some sort of velcro that's reusable/resealable? Or is it just a sticker with glue/adhesive on the back that you have to cut apart once to access the CD, etc.?

Best,

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 26, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
It's actually very easy to see which type of 2-CD holder you'll be getting. Just open it up and look at it. Again, I think you're being a bit melodramatic about the whole jewel case thing.

I have to admit that I've had moments of momentary puzzlement with 2-CD jewel cases, expecting the hinge on one side or the other... but ultimately I'm glad to say that it never overtaxed my deductive abilities.  8)

Jo498

I don't love them but I must have bought around a hundred or more of the slim 2-disc cases over the last 10 years to save space compared to the fat 2disc cases.
Most of the time, I don't care so much about the packaging. The main thing I truly dislike is any packaging that is more than about 5 milimetres different in the vertical dimension because this will be a problem for some of my shelving. Unfortunately this is true for quite a few of the otherwise space-saving cardboard boxes.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jo498 on January 28, 2019, 12:52:18 AM
I don't love them but I must have bought around a hundred or more of the slim 2-disc cases over the last 10 years to save space compared to the fat 2disc cases.
Most of the time, I don't care so much about the packaging. The main thing I truly dislike is any packaging that is more than about 5 milimetres different in the vertical dimension because this will be a problem for some of my shelving. Unfortunately this is true for quite a few of the otherwise space-saving cardboard boxes.

Damn you, Melodiya!  ;D

Jo498

Yeh, from where I sit on my desk I can see the yellow box of the DSCH quartets lying horizontally on the base of a stack of discs, messing up this whole section of the shelf. Then there is a bunch grouped with DVDs but this is not a problem as long as one has a few shelves for DVD format. But there are also some being higher than DVD cases.
I hate all of them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

71 dB

Quote from: Jo498 on January 28, 2019, 01:52:48 AM
Yeh, from where I sit on my desk I can see the yellow box of the DSCH quartets lying horizontally on the base of a stack of discs, messing up this whole section of the shelf. Then there is a bunch grouped with DVDs but this is not a problem as long as one has a few shelves for DVD format. But there are also some being higher than DVD cases.
I hate all of them.

Talk about  first world problems...  ::)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Jo498 on January 28, 2019, 01:52:48 AM
I hate all of them.

When I designed my CD shelving, I took the yellow box of DSCH quartets as the standard for height to make sure I didn't run into such problems.  Seriously. ;D :)

...and then came along the obnoxiously formatted Berlin Philharmonic Releases! Argh!  >:D (By the way, if anyone wants to trade an SACD set of any of those issues for the CD/Blu-ray set, I'm happy to do that.)

Jo498

It's a first world problem but so are ALL things concerning listening to classical music and storing CDs.
I am poor enough that I have to stick to by now 4 different kinds of shelves I acquired over almost two decades and cannot spend any money on new custom shelving. Furthermore, I am actually quite happy with most of my shelves partly because they do not have lots of space between discs and boards (less dust acculumation etc.)

Actually, I am surprised that BIS even bothers with new packaging. I am told everywhere that material carriers are a thing of the past and we will only stream etc. in a few years.
- Blaise Pascal

Omicron9

My point was that in a ecopak without shrink wrap, the disc could fall out.  And sitting on warehouse shelves would allow dust to get inside and on the disc.  Handling for individual disc orders again run the risk of the CD falling out; same for inside a mailing package.  Just a thought.

"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Mirror Image

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 28, 2019, 12:34:14 AM
I have to admit that I've had moments of momentary puzzlement with 2-CD jewel cases, expecting the hinge on one side or the other... but ultimately I'm glad to say that it never overtaxed my deductive abilities.  8)

;D

Kontrapunctus

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 27, 2019, 06:21:42 AM
Does the sticker have some sort of velcro that's reusable/resealable? Or is it just a sticker with glue/adhesive on the back that you have to cut apart once to access the CD, etc.?

Best,

PD
It's adhesive, but it removes cleanly with no residue left behind.

Brian

Now BIS's problem is I'm tempted to not buy any of their back catalogue CDs until there's a way of knowing that the CD in question will be arriving in one of these ecopaks.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: SurprisedByBeauty on January 28, 2019, 12:34:14 AM

I guess I am lazy, but I find it is faster to empirically determine how it opens, which results in some fidgeting, rather than stare at it. Some fraction of the time the little tray pops out entirely. It is no big deal, because 99% of the time when I open a jewel case it is to rip the disk, which means it will never be opened again.

Wanderer

Quote from: Jo498 on January 21, 2019, 06:39:56 AM
Yes, there are "ecopak" style packages that made it almost impossible to get the disc out without scratching it.

That's my biggest gripe with this type of packaging. In 95% of cases the disc is in too tight and small scratches accumulate with time. Unacceptable, as far as I'm concerned. And then there are those few in which one has to bend the case at an uncomfortable angle in order to extract the CD... towards the inside of the case! Fun times.

bissie

Hello, all.

Someone pointed me to this Forum, and so I thought I'd chip in.

Here some answers from the goat's mouth:

- No, they won't be shrink-wrapped.  Would be totally illogical.  I have carried some dummies in my pockets for months now.  No sign of wear or tear, but even if there were, it is a small price to pay for the ecological gains.
- The SACD is stuck into a paper envelope before inserting into the BIS ecopak.  It does not, repeat NOT, fall out, but is easily removable.  It doesn't scratch.
- The sticker is removable.
- As of June New Releases, everything will be in the BIS ecopak.  Some even before that.

Can someone tell the moderator that it is extremely difficult for a colourblind person to see the letters needed to verify, and that a Swede doesn't necessarily know the continuation of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy ..."  My English is better than most's, but I didn't grow up with English nursery rhymes!  Sure Mrs. Google did provide the answer, but, really....

Nice to see the interest.  Now I am hoping for our colleagues to follow suit.

Best - Robert (von Bahr, aka bissie)

bhodges

Quote from: bissie on February 01, 2019, 04:03:43 AM
Can someone tell the moderator that it is extremely difficult for a colourblind person to see the letters needed to verify, and that a Swede doesn't necessarily know the continuation of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy ..."  My English is better than most's, but I didn't grow up with English nursery rhymes!  Sure Mrs. Google did provide the answer, but, really....

Nice to see the interest.  Now I am hoping for our colleagues to follow suit.

Best - Robert (von Bahr, aka bissie)

Hello, Robert, and welcome to GMG. Sorry about the difficulty registering. We had a flood of bots here last year, so the site's owner added a more complicated process to verify new users. So far it's working, but of course, we don't want to make it hard for real people to join.

Also, when a new user make a first post, it has to be approved by a moderator. I just approved yours, so now you're all set.

Welcome again, and enjoy your time here.

--Bruce