Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

After thumbs up from aligreto and vandermolen I thought it may be fun to have a quiz. The only rules are that the "prize" for correctly answering a teaser is that the winner in turn sets one, and every incorrect guess earns a clue. Fair game to use guesswork, google, books or whatever.

To set the ball rolling: Which British composer is this?

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

George Lloyd.

My question.
What not very famous composer worked at the Pieta before, and then with, Vivaldi?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 19, 2019, 12:01:44 PM
George Lloyd.

My question.
What not very famous composer worked at the Pieta before, and then with, Vivaldi?

Well done recognizing that composer JBS; I certainly wouldn't have known it was him!  And good photo Irons!  And thank you so much for starting up this thread.  :-)

And regarding your poser...hmmm...not very famous?  No idea alas!

PD

JBS

I took Irons's statement that using Google meant it was okay to use Google Image Search.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: JBS on January 19, 2019, 03:15:17 PM
I took Irons's statement that using Google meant it was okay to use Google Image Search.

Ah, I haven't ever tried using it before now...no idea how that works!

PD

JBS

This particular one composed the first opera based on the story of Hamlet (the original story, not the play by Shakespeare)  in 1705.

JBS

Jo498

Alexander von Zemlinsky (with Alma Schindler-Mahler-Gropius-Kokoschka... being the femme fatale, of course)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

Right, I forgot the poor Franz Werfel (probably the one of her husbands and lovers who was the most clearly "overwhelmed" by her personality) and while she was not married to all the ones I mentioned, she certainly was involved with them.

Everybody knows the Music for the Royal Fireworks and Handel composed several other pieces to celebrate successful campaigns or peace treaties of his host nation (like the Utrecht and Dettingen Te Deum).

There is another composer with several works associated with the wars and victories of a nation not his own (and it is not a borderline case like Handel's who by the time of Royal Fireworks had become naturalized) but joined in a struggle against a common enemy.
I am not looking for the famous one (but the famous one would help one along to the solution) but a fairly obscure one that has a direct connection to both a decisive event and a war hero.

Name the composer, the piece and explain the personal connection.

(hint: there is a somewhat cheesy poem from a later time also referring to that event)

I'd also hope that people who immediately know the answer keep back for a while not to spoil the fun.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

aligreto

Great start to the thread!

vandermolen

Just seen this - Great!

Anyway I got the young George Lloyd without looking at any other responses!  0:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: JBS on January 19, 2019, 03:15:17 PM

Yes, no problem with that at all.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: Jo498 on January 20, 2019, 12:16:31 AM

Everybody knows the Music for the Royal Fireworks and Handel composed several other pieces to celebrate successful campaigns or peace treaties of his host nation (like the Utrecht and Dettingen Te Deum).

There is another composer with several works associated with the wars and victories of a nation not his own (and it is not a borderline case like Handel's who by the time of Royal Fireworks had become naturalized) but joined in a struggle against a common enemy.
I am not looking for the famous one (but the famous one would help one along to the solution) but a fairly obscure one that has a direct connection to both a decisive event and a war hero.

Name the composer, the piece and explain the personal connection.

(hint: there is a somewhat cheesy poem from a later time also referring to that event)

I'd also hope that people who immediately know the answer keep back for a while not to spoil the fun.

I can't even think of a famous one never mind an obscure! For the sake of a clue, Jan Urban?

JBS

Quote from: Irons on January 20, 2019, 09:16:24 AM
I can't even think of a famous one never mind an obscure! For the sake of a clue, Jan Urban?

The famous one is probably LvB (Wellington's Victory).  But I can't think of any obscure ones at the moment....

Jo498

first clue: The extremely famous war hero and thus one of the main parties in that conflict was from the nation Handel was naturalized into.
second clue: The composer in question has more than one connection to that nation as well, not only the one asked for or the related one not asked for.
third clue: There is exactly one person on this forum where I would guess that s/he would know the solution very quickly because of a special interest.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

Quote from: JBS on January 20, 2019, 09:19:14 AM
The famous one is probably LvB (Wellington's Victory).  But I can't think of any obscure ones at the moment....

Neither work nor composer is correct but the very general direction is good.
The famous piece I was referring to is probably as well known as Wellington's Victory but the one I am asking for (from the same composer) is really obscure (but has been recorded, not sure if more than once, though).
Edit: According to wikipedia that piece was recorded twice. And it does have a wikipedia entry, but not in English.
- Blaise Pascal

Pohjolas Daughter

Is the famous war hero Lord Nelson?

PD

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on January 20, 2019, 09:57:23 AM
Is the famous war hero Lord Nelson?

PD

That is what I thought. In that case the famous composer could be Haydn and the obscure one Jan Vanhal.

Edit: Battle of the Nile

Florestan

Joseph Haydn

Sailor's Song Hob. XXVIa: 31

The famous work being, of course, the Nelson Mass.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

aligreto