Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Salieri? I know he had his requiem performed at his funeral. But Not sure about the rest.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 02, 2019, 03:51:32 AM
Salieri? I know he had his requiem performed at his funeral. But Not sure about the rest.

No, not Salieri either.

Florestan

He's somewhere here. Good luck in finding him.  :laugh:

http://www.requiemsurvey.org/composers.php
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

Jean Gilles? (played at Rameaus funeral and was overall rather famous in the 18th century)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on April 02, 2019, 07:42:13 AM
Jean Gilles? (played at Rameaus funeral and was overall rather famous in the 18th century)

Correct! Your turn.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jo498 on April 02, 2019, 07:42:13 AM
What is the second work he's remembered for? I think that part of the riddle was a bit of a stretch...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 02, 2019, 09:03:51 AM
What is the second work he's remembered for? I think that part of the riddle was a bit of a stretch...

I will give a fuller explanation tomorrow,  I am not at home right now.

Biffo

Jean Gilles (1668 - 1705). His fame, such as it is, was largely posthumous and rested with two works - the Requiem and the motet Diligam te, Domine, both being played quite frequently in the decades after his death. The Requiem was used at numerous high-profile funerals including that of Louis XV.

In 1764 a version of the Requiem was prepared for a Memorial Service for Rameau, probably by Francois Rebel and Francois Francoeur. The work was revised and several new movements inserted, mainly using music recycled from Rameau's opera Castor et Pollux.

The unadulterated version is available from Herreweghe and La Chapelle Royale (harmonia mundi) (and probably others). Rameau's Funeral is available from Skip Sempe and Collegium Vocale Gent (Paradizo)