Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 03:59:25 AM
After a quite successful dress rehearsal, all further performances of this opera were unexpectedly banned by the head of that state. Name it.

Is it Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, banned by the King of Naples because it allegedly upset his wife?

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on February 26, 2019, 04:14:21 AM
Is it Donizetti's Maria Stuarda, banned by the King of Naples because it allegedly upset his wife?

Exactly.  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 05:57:08 AM
Exactly.  :)
I was gonna say Bomarzo... ;D

Although it's not my turn, here goes an easy one—kind of complementary to the previous question: what opera was so much to the liking of a head of state, that he demanded it be performed complete again on the evening of the world premiere ?

Jo498

Was this the Mozart - Salieri contest when Salieri's Prima la musica prevailed against Der Schauspieldirektor? As both are so short (30-40 minutes or so), the whole piece could easily be given again as an encore. Emperor Joseph II. would have been the monarch.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

Quote from: Jo498 on February 26, 2019, 08:03:59 AM
Was this the Mozart - Salieri contest when Salieri's Prima la musica prevailed against Der Schauspieldirektor? As both are so short (30-40 minutes or so), the whole piece could easily be given again as an encore. Emperor Joseph II. would have been the monarch.
It was an emperor,  but not Joseph II. The composer was neither Mozart nor Salieri,  but hailed from the same country as one of them. .It was a full length opera. . 

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 26, 2019, 08:35:22 AM
It was an emperor,  but not Joseph II. The composer was neither Mozart nor Salieri,  but hailed from the same country as one of them. .It was a full length opera. .

Proserpine by Paisiello, encored at the request of Napoleon?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 08:46:34 AM
Proserpine by Paisiello, encored at the request of Napoleon?
Hélas, non! Jo498 was closer.

.... J, K, L.... ;)

mc ukrneal

Think Cimarosa and Leopold. The name is on the tip of the tongue but escapes me: Il something or other...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ritter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 26, 2019, 09:23:16 AM
Think Cimarosa and Leopold. The name is on the tip of the tongue but escapes me: Il something or other...
:)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on February 26, 2019, 09:25:24 AM
:)
I didn't want to look it up. Felt I should know it. When I stop thinking about it, it'll come to me. Or someone here will put me out of my misery.

ritter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 26, 2019, 09:27:11 AM
I didn't want to look it up. Felt I should know it. When I stop thinking about it, it'll come to me. Or someone here will put me out of my misery.
Someone will sure do that...

It's considered the longest bis in the history of music... ;D

Florestan

Il matrimonio segreto.

mc ukrneal

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 09:33:19 AM
Il matrimonio segreto.
Yes. First performed at the Burgtheater in Vienna on February 2, 1792, in the presence of Emperor Leopold II. He liked it so much that he ordered dinner to be served to the entire troupe, and that they should then perform the opera all over again.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 26, 2019, 09:34:51 AM
Yes, That one! Thank you!

Don't mention it, just give us your quiz.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 09:40:50 AM
Don't mention it, just give us your quiz.
Since the Oscars just finished, who had the most nominations for an Oscar before winning one? Though he finally won one, he wasn't alive to enjoy it. Max Steiner, his friend, completed his last score.

ritter

That would be Victor Young (who finally—and posthumously—won an Oscar for Around The Workd in 80 Days in 1957).

If my answer is correct, it's now actually Biffo's turn (I very inelegantly cut into the game this sfternoon, when he had correctly answered Florestan's question about Donizetti's Maria Stuarda). 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on February 26, 2019, 10:04:18 AM
That would be Victor Young (who finally—and posthumously—won an Oscar for Around The Workd in 80 Days in 1957).

If my answer is correct, it's now actually Biffo's turn (I very inelegantly cut into the game this sfternoon, when he had correctly answered Florestan's question about Donizetti's Maria Stuarda). 
Yes indeedee! :) Next...

Biffo

Hope this isn't too easy.

This child prodigy became well known as a violin virtuoso. He is, however, much better known as a very successful composer in a different branch of music. He lived to a ripe old age but died in poverty in his native Vienna.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on February 27, 2019, 04:16:05 AM
Hope this isn't too easy.

This child prodigy became well known as a violin virtuoso. He is, however, much better known as a very successful composer in a different branch of music. He lived to a ripe old age but died in poverty in his native Vienna.

I suppose that by "a different branch of music" you mean "not classical", because if his music does indeed belong to "classical" he must be the best kept secret of Austrian / Viennese music.  ;D

EDIT: Finally got him! Ludwig Minkus! I had no effing idea he was a Viennese.