Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 09:33:53 AM
Teodorico Pedrini (1671–1746), working in Beijing in the services of the Kangxi Emperor (1662–1722), the Yongzheng Emperor (1722–1735), and the Qianlong Emperor (1735–1796).

Proficiaat! Jouw beurt!

Please, please, please let me know how you say the above in Low Saxon.  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 09:44:32 AMPlease, please, please let me know how you say the above in Low Saxon.  8)
There's no, or rather: there are several orthographies. In my variant: Pette of, oen beu'te!  ;D (https://nds-nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedersaksies_woordenboek)

OK. This Latin American composer with a Dutch name is regarded the first national composer of his country, making use of traditional music and also heavenly influencing its musical development. He served as a kapellmeister, wrote for Notas y Letras, composed over 180 compositions and brought forth a number of other composers bearing his name.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 10:00:09 AM
There's no, or rather: there are several orthographies. In my variant: Pette of, oen beu'te!  ;D (https://nds-nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedersaksies_woordenboek)

Thanks a lot! Only one word similar to Dutch.  :laugh:

OK. This Latin American composer with a Dutch name is regarded the first national composer of his country, making use of traditional music and also heavenly influencing its musical development. He served as a kapellmeister, wrote for Notas y Letras, composed over 180 compositions and brought forth a number of other composers bearing his name.

Hubert de Blanck, born in Utrecht, died in Havana.  8)

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 10:23:46 AM
Thanks a lot! Only one word similar to Dutch.  :laugh:

Hubert de Blanck, born in Utrecht, died in Havana.  8)
As 't knep zit ie dr oarig noast. In other (Saxon) words: wrong.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 11:04:37 AM
As 't knep zit ie dr oarig noast.

Is dit een menselijke taal? 't lijkt echt op Karel V's spreken tegen zijn paard.  :laugh:

En cuanto a tu compositor, no tengo ni puta idea.  ;D

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 09:55:29 AM
The composer that comes to mind with amplified piano is Crumb.  Did he set it?

Got it.
QuoteComposer George Crumb (born 1929) set the Death Carol in his 1979 work Apparition (1979), an eight-part song cycle for soprano and amplified piano.

So that leaves only the well known composer from the British Isles.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 12:25:42 PM
Aha!

The New Grove includes this work in their list for Charles Villiers Stanford:

Elegiac Ode (W. Whitman), solo vv, chorus, orch, Norwich, 1884

IMSLP describes it as "Based on Whitman's ode to the memory of President Abraham Lincoln (as are Hindemith and Sessions' later When Lilacs Last ... Requiems.)"

8)

Indeed! Wikipedia says at one point more people knew the poem through Stanford's setting than knew the poem itself.

I will leave it up to you to decide if you want to pose a question and keep this alternative thread going.

JBS

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 12:47:44 PM
Low Saxon served and developed as the lingua franca of the Hanseatic League - and survived as the typical self-esteem of the bourgeoisie and petit-bourgeoisie in Hanseatic towns (the pater familias in Lübeck in Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks, as you may recall, speaks only, and mostly intermittingly, Low Saxon and French, never German). It all changed with the mass media of the last century, as everywhere in Europe (yet I myself grew up with nothing but Low Saxon and my mother could hardly speak Dutch at all).

As to the composer's language: su idioma efektivamente looks gusta esaki - perhaps that helps?  8)

Jan Gerard Palm.

[I recognized that sentence as being in Papiamento, and googled for composers from the Netherlands Antilles.  But honestly I never heard of him before.]

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 11:56:34 AM
Is dit een menselijke taal? 't lijkt echt op Karel V's spreken tegen zijn paard.  :laugh:

En cuanto a tu compositor, no tengo ni puta idea.  ;D
Low Saxon served and developed as the lingua franca of the Hanseatic League (that's why Peter the Great learnt it as a youth in the merchants' district of Moscow) and survived in modern times as a typical of the cultural self-esteem of the bourgeoisie in Hanseatic towns (the pater familias in Lübeck in Thomas Mann's Buddenbrooks, as you may recall, speaks only, and mostly intermittingly, Low Saxon and French, never German). It all changed with the mass media of the last century, as everywhere in Europe (yet I myself grew up with nothing but Low Saxon and my mother could hardly speak Dutch at all).

As to the composer's language: su idioma efektivamente looks gusta esaki - perhaps that helps?  8)

Christo

Quote from: JBS on March 04, 2019, 12:54:54 PM
Jan Gerard Palm.

[I recognized that sentence as being in Papiamento, and googled for composers from the Netherlands Antilles.  But honestly I never heard of him before.]
A truly national composer, namely Curaçao's; your turn.  ;D

ritter

The only Papiamento I remember is Kesi Yena...  ;D

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 04, 2019, 01:04:08 PM
The only Papiamento I remember is Kesi Yena...  ;D
:-X ::) :laugh:

JBS

My question
This biracial composer was a priest, kappelmeister* to a European royal family, wrote approximately 400 works, most of them religious in nature, and conducted the first performances of Mozart's Requiem and Haydn's Creation in his country.

* word used as a general term. Do not take it as a reference to any specific area or language

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 01:18:11 PM
José Mauricio Nunes Garcia, Brazil?

I thought that would be harder!
You are correct. Your turn.

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 01:28:20 PM
Well, I knew about him because there is a nexus for me with composers who wrote Requiems and those from Brazil.  I'll have to think a bit for a good question.

I knew of him because the Requiem is included in that Black Composers set
For the rest
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/José_Maurício_Nunes_Garcia

ritter

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 01:39:59 PM
French composer. He was one of the leading chanson and motet composers of his day.  His place in musical history has undergone a decisive change since relatively recently we have learned that many stylistic and technical features he innovated, were for a long time credited to a younger (and much more famous) contemporary. 

Name the composer and the younger contemporary.
Ockeghem and des Prés?

Draško

Busnois and Josquin?

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 02:04:30 PM
Nope.  The younger contemporary is correct, but not the composer.
Binchois and Josquin

Ken B

Incidentally, our knowledge of Josquin took a serious hit a few years ago. Scholars had assumed he was the Josquin referred to in certain documents, and it now seems he wasn't. Ie his life story as we thought we knew it was the result of conflating him with another Josquin. So we know a lot less than we imagined.
I rather like this outcome.

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 03:32:20 PM
Wrong.

You're on to something - follow up.
Josquin and Josquin??