Author Topic: Quiz.  (Read 64269 times)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
Re: Quiz
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2019, 12:12:35 PM »
To avoid this turning into a ping pong match between Florestan and me, I invite any willing Fellow GMGer to submit the next question... :)

By all means! The more, the merrier.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Quiz.
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2019, 12:44:39 PM »
Ok. Since we can give additional clues, I thought this style of question might be fun:

Who am I? Before the age of 10, I had already composed my first work and perfromed on at least one instrument. I later became a court conductor. I also taught, and some of my students went on to be the best and brightest composers both in America and Europe. Incidentally, I married a former student. I wrote numerous works, including masses, operas, and symphonies. Who am I?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 12:48:16 PM by mc ukrneal »
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2019, 12:52:59 PM »
Who am I? Before the age of 10, I had already composed my first work and perfromed on at least one instrument. I later became a court conductor. I also taught, and some of my students went on to be the best and brightest composers both in America and Europe. Incidentally, I married a former student. Who am I?

The bolded part would suggest Robert Fuchs, but the other hints do not match.  :)
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”  --- Victor Hugo

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy, "Tragédie, Comédie"
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2019, 12:54:17 PM »
I thought it might be Liszt, but the last clue (marriage) doesn’t fit, alas,  :(
ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2019, 12:56:20 PM »
The bolded part would suggest Robert Fuchs, but the other hints do not match.  :)
Not him or Liszt (good guesses though!). Another clue is: I was appointed Royal Professor of organ and composition. I was born in Liechtenstein.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »
Not him or Liszt (good guesses though!). Another clue is: I was appointed Royal Professor of organ and composition. I was born in Liechtenstein.

Josef Rheinberger then.

I have a box with his complete chamber music, which is sheer delight.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »
Rheinberger?

Edit: ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 01:09:20 PM by Irons »
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2019, 01:09:41 PM »
Yup. His students included R Strauss, Humperdinck, and Furtwangler. Students from the US included Berwald and Chadwick. 

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2019, 01:11:48 PM »
I'll gladly let Irons have the next turn.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
I'll gladly let Irons have the next turn.

That is most gentlemanly of you, Florestan. I must say ritter and yourself are red hot at this quiz lark!

Which work by a famous composer consists of seven named individual pieces in which two have identical titles and subtitles?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2019, 01:09:04 AM »
That's a tough one. Could we have some hints, please?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2019, 01:40:36 AM »
That's a tough one. Could we have some hints, please?

Yes, ungoogleable.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2019, 02:03:01 AM »
Yes, ungoogleable.

Off the top of my head I thought of some partitas by Bach, for instance the first keyboard one which has seven movements two of which are Menuets, but there's no tempo indication (subtitles) for them.

I suspect, given Irons' preferences, that it must be something more modern.

Online Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2019, 04:32:27 AM »
There is Dowland's Lachrymae or seven Tears, but they are all different "lachrimae" (that's basically the point). There is Haydn's 7 last words, but here are actually 9 movements, all with different titles.

It could be a song cycle? although most are longer than 7 and recurring titles would be rare (although Schumanns op.39 does have two songs titled "In der Fremde").

Probably something British I am not aware of...
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2019, 04:49:42 AM »
Probably something British I am not aware of...

That's my hunch too.

EDIT: There is Koechlin's The Seven Stars Symphony in which two subtitles are the same but not the titles.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:55:30 AM by Florestan »

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:48 AM »
A clue would be most welcome....nationality of composer, or instrumentation of the piece, or century of composition. Anything!  ;D
ritter
« Et tandis que nous roulerons, à pleins poumons nous chanterons: 'Muguet! Muguet! Joli muguet, par toi l'on reprend confiance' »

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Not British. Trees of southern climes.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2019, 10:18:29 AM »
Greece? Checking for work’s by Skalkottas that would match the requirements, but no luck so far....
ritter

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »
Greece? Checking for work’s by Skalkottas that would match the requirements, but no luck so far....

That looks like a what I would call a Roman Cypress, I associate it with Italy. Probably found all over the mediterranean, though.

Offline Irons

• Veteran member
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
That looks like a what I would call a Roman Cypress, I associate it with Italy. Probably found all over the mediterranean, though.

You are very close to cracking it. Cypress and Italy is the key.

If you all recall I did say a "famous" composer.