Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 22, 2019, 10:58:17 AM
To avoid this turning into a ping pong match between Florestan and me, I invite any willing Fellow GMGer to submit the next question... :)

By all means! The more, the merrier.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

mc ukrneal

Ok. Since we can give additional clues, I thought this style of question might be fun:

Who am I? Before the age of 10, I had already composed my first work and perfromed on at least one instrument. I later became a court conductor. I also taught, and some of my students went on to be the best and brightest composers both in America and Europe. Incidentally, I married a former student. I wrote numerous works, including masses, operas, and symphonies. Who am I?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 22, 2019, 11:44:39 AM
Who am I? Before the age of 10, I had already composed my first work and perfromed on at least one instrument. I later became a court conductor. I also taught, and some of my students went on to be the best and brightest composers both in America and Europe. Incidentally, I married a former student. Who am I?

The bolded part would suggest Robert Fuchs, but the other hints do not match.  :)

ritter

I thought it might be Liszt, but the last clue (marriage) doesn't fit, alas,  :(

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 22, 2019, 11:52:59 AM
The bolded part would suggest Robert Fuchs, but the other hints do not match.  :)
Not him or Liszt (good guesses though!). Another clue is: I was appointed Royal Professor of organ and composition. I was born in Liechtenstein.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 22, 2019, 11:56:20 AM
Not him or Liszt (good guesses though!). Another clue is: I was appointed Royal Professor of organ and composition. I was born in Liechtenstein.

Josef Rheinberger then.

I have a box with his complete chamber music, which is sheer delight.

Irons

Rheinberger?

Edit: ;D
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

mc ukrneal

Yup. His students included R Strauss, Humperdinck, and Furtwangler. Students from the US included Berwald and Chadwick. 

Florestan

I'll gladly let Irons have the next turn.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on January 22, 2019, 12:11:48 PM
I'll gladly let Irons have the next turn.

That is most gentlemanly of you, Florestan. I must say ritter and yourself are red hot at this quiz lark!

Which work by a famous composer consists of seven named individual pieces in which two have identical titles and subtitles?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

That's a tough one. Could we have some hints, please?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2019, 12:09:04 AM
That's a tough one. Could we have some hints, please?

Yes, ungoogleable.

Florestan

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 23, 2019, 12:40:36 AM
Yes, ungoogleable.

Off the top of my head I thought of some partitas by Bach, for instance the first keyboard one which has seven movements two of which are Menuets, but there's no tempo indication (subtitles) for them.

I suspect, given Irons' preferences, that it must be something more modern.

Jo498

There is Dowland's Lachrymae or seven Tears, but they are all different "lachrimae" (that's basically the point). There is Haydn's 7 last words, but here are actually 9 movements, all with different titles.

It could be a song cycle? although most are longer than 7 and recurring titles would be rare (although Schumanns op.39 does have two songs titled "In der Fremde").

Probably something British I am not aware of...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 23, 2019, 03:32:27 AM
Probably something British I am not aware of...

That's my hunch too.

EDIT: There is Koechlin's The Seven Stars Symphony in which two subtitles are the same but not the titles.

ritter

A clue would be most welcome....nationality of composer, or instrumentation of the piece, or century of composition. Anything!  ;D

Irons

Not British. Trees of southern climes.

ritter

Greece? Checking for work's by Skalkottas that would match the requirements, but no luck so far....

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: ritter on January 23, 2019, 09:18:29 AM
Greece? Checking for work's by Skalkottas that would match the requirements, but no luck so far....

That looks like a what I would call a Roman Cypress, I associate it with Italy. Probably found all over the mediterranean, though.

Irons

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on January 23, 2019, 09:38:59 AM
That looks like a what I would call a Roman Cypress, I associate it with Italy. Probably found all over the mediterranean, though.

You are very close to cracking it. Cypress and Italy is the key.

If you all recall I did say a "famous" composer.