Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

I did check Respighi's works (pines ? of Rome ? and others..) but could not find anything matching...
Olivier

Florestan

Dvorak's Cypresses doesn't fit in the bill...
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Jo498

Yeah, I had thought of Respighi as well. But he never seems to have seven movements, usually four. Dvorak "Cypresses" doesn't fit either.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

A winner of the Prix de Rome, maybe?  ???
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

ritter

I've looked at the catalogues of Respighi, Malipiero, Casella...niente!

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jo498

I found a piece by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco called "Cipressi" op.17 (piano solo) but it does not seem to have 7 marked subdivisions. (And admittedly I googled "cipressi musica" which could be counted as cheating...)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Another thought: the most famous cypresses in Italy are those at the Villa d'Este. The most famous composer associated with it is Liszt. Now, good luck perusing his entire catalogue of solo piano works...

ritter

Quote from: Jo498 on January 23, 2019, 10:26:48 AM
...And admittedly I googled "cipressi musica" which could be counted as cheating...
At this point, anything goes... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on January 23, 2019, 10:26:48 AM
I found a piece by Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco called "Cipressi" op.17 (piano solo) but it does not seem to have 7 marked subdivisions. (And admittedly I googled "cipressi musica" which could be counted as cheating...)

Not according to the rules. See the OP.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 23, 2019, 10:43:35 AM
Liszt's Annees de pelerinage, II (Italy) I think fits the bill:

Deuxième année: Italie
"Deuxième année: Italie" ("Second Year: Italy"), S.161,

Sposalizio (Marriage of the Virgin, a painting by Raphael) in E major
Il penseroso (The Thinker, a statue by Michelangelo) in C♯ minor
Canzonetta del Salvator Rosa (Canzonetta of Salvator Rosa; this song "Vado ben spesso cangiando loco" was in fact written by Giovanni Bononcini[9]) in A major
Sonetto 47 del Petrarca (Petrarch's Sonnet 47) in D♭ major
Sonetto 104 del Petrarca (Petrarch's Sonnet 104) in E major
Sonetto 123 del Petrarca (Petrarch's Sonnet 123) in A♭ major
Après une lecture de Dante: Fantasia Quasi Sonata (After Reading Dante: Fantasia Quasi Sonata) in D minor

How does it fits the bill, I wonder? There are no two identical titles and there are no subtitles.  :laugh:

mc ukrneal

QuoteWhich work by a famous composer consists of seven named individual pieces in which two have identical titles and subtitles?

Verdi's Requiem has seven sections of which two have identical titles and sub-titles. The Dies irae section has a dies irae subsection and the libra me section has a libra me subsection as well. Have I understood the question correctly? Verdi's Italian, but then I have no idea what the Cyprus thing refers to.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 23, 2019, 10:50:44 AM
Well, there are seven sections, and there are subtitles, three Petrach's Sonnets.  But he did say only two with the same sub-title,so maybe it does not fit the bill after all.

He said titles and subtitles. What is the subtitle of the title Il pensieroso?

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 23, 2019, 10:48:24 AM
Verdi's Requiem has seven sections of which two have identical titles and sub-titles. The Dies irae section has a dies irae subsection and the libra me section has a libra me subsection as well. Have I understood the question correctly? Verdi's Italian, but then I have no idea what the Cyprus thing refers to.

I was also looking at the Verdi Requiem just now. I was interpreting the question as asking for two sections that have the same title, with subtitles that match also. (For instance, Bach's mass in b minor has two sections titled Kyrie, but there are no subtitles.) But you are right, it is worded in such a way that it could be interpreted as requiring a subsection to have the same title as the section containing it for two sections. It that case, the Requiem fits.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 23, 2019, 10:48:24 AM
Verdi's Requiem has seven sections of which two have identical titles and sub-titles. The Dies irae section has a dies irae subsection and the libra me section has a libra me subsection as well. Have I understood the question correctly?

You might be on to something, although I don't see the cypresses connection either. Anyway, I understood it as something quite different, like, for instance:

Florestan: Suite Grotesque FWV I:12bis

Mvt. 1 Prelude
Mvt 2. Moonlight on the lake (nocturne-barcarolle)
Mvt. 3. Siberian Polka
Mvt. 4. Serenade of the Hangman
Mvt 5. Moonlight on the lake (nocturne-barcarolle)
Mvt 6. Fireworks on the Moon
Mvt 7. Good Night, My Love

Mvt 2 and Mvt 3 have identical titles and subtitles.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2019, 11:02:20 AM
You might be on to something, although I don't see the cypresses connection either. Anyway, I understood it as something quite different, like, for instance:

Florestan: Suite Grotesque FWV I:12bis

Mvt. 1 Prelude
Mvt 2. Moonlight on the lake (nocturne-barcarolle)
Mvt. 3. Siberian Polka
Mvt. 4. Serenade of the Hangman
Mvt 5. Moonlight on the lake (nocturne-barcarolle)
Mvt 6. Fireworks on the Moon
Mvt 7. Good Night, My Love

Mvt 2 and Mvt 3 have identical titles and subtitles.

That's how I interpreted it, and Mozart's posthorn serenade almost foots the bill, it has seven movements, and two have title Menuetto and contain a subsection "Trio." (Not quite, since the second Menuetto has two trios, so strictly the subsections are Trio I and Trio II.)

I guess we wait to see what Irons says he meant.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2019, 10:29:06 AM
Another thought: the most famous cypresses in Italy are those at the Villa d'Este. The most famous composer associated with it is Liszt. Now, good luck perusing his entire catalogue of solo piano works...

You are there. Liszt: Years of Pilgrimage, Third Year (Italy). Movements 2&3 are both titled Aux cyprés de la Villa d'Este - thrénodie.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on January 23, 2019, 11:17:36 AM
You are there. Liszt: Years of Pilgrimage, Third Year (Italy). Movements 2&3 are both titled Aux cyprés de la Villa d'Este - thrénodie.

Gosh, am I dumb, no, really, the dumbest of dumbs. How on earth could I have thoguht of some obscure work and completely forget about the obvious?

Anyway, San Antone nominated it, albeit tentatively, so the next turn should be his.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on January 23, 2019, 11:17:36 AM

Yes, except one could argue that the titles are Aux cyprés de la Villa d'Este I and Aux cyprés de la Villa d'Este II, not strictly identical. Obviously a supercilious objection. But Mozart's Posthorn also fits the original spec, but not the hint.

ritter

But can one really call Liszt famous?  ::) Just joking: well played, Irons! And well "approximated", San Antone and Florestan;)