Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Until San Antone comes back with his quiz, here is mine.

As a child, I was praised by a famous composer. Due to a circumstance related to my birth, I had no official musical education but I studied privately with, among others, a composer who is now almost forgotten but back then was quite popular. I composed in many genres, including opera, symphonic and chamber music; my most enduring legacy is in a genre for which the famous composer above is not famous, although he produced some fine works. My music is not frequently recorded or performed but I know for a fact that several people on this forum seem to have derived much pleasure from it and praised it accordingly. I had a musical name (in more than one sense). The problem is, I can't remember it, so please help me.

:)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

zamyrabyrd

Quote from: Florestan on January 23, 2019, 11:39:12 AM
As a child, I was praised by a famous composer. Due to a circumstance related to my birth, I had no official musical education but I studied privately with, among others, a composer who is now almost forgotten but back then was quite popular. I composed in many genres, including opera, symphonic and chamber music; my most enduring legacy is in a genre for which the famous composer above is not famous, although he produced some fine works. My music is not frequently recorded or performed but I know for a fact that several people on this forum seem to have derived much pleasure from it and praised it accordingly. I had a musical name (in more than one sense). The problem is, I can't remember it, so please help me.   :)

Would the composer/teacher be Salieri?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

Florestan

Quote from: zamyrabyrd on January 25, 2019, 08:26:57 AM
Would the composer/teacher be Salieri?

No, but he composed operas too.

mc ukrneal

Was Raff the teacher maybe?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 25, 2019, 08:53:21 AM
Was Raff the teacher maybe?

No, not Raff. Someone younger than him.

Florestan

vandermolen

Camargo 'Mozart' Guarnieri?

Just a guess.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: vandermolen on January 25, 2019, 10:36:01 PM
Camargo 'Mozart' Guarnieri?

Just a guess.

Not him either.

The title of one of the most famous works of this composer is in a language which is very relevant to the most famous work of the famous composer who praised the mystery composer as a child --- not their native language, though.

ritter

Quiz à la Florestan: "I had a mother, I had a teacher (almost completely forgotten  today), I composed some music (rarely performed today). Who am I?"  ::) ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 26, 2019, 06:58:23 AM
Quiz à la Florestan: "I had a mother, I had a teacher (almost completely forgotten  today), I composed some music (rarely performed today). Who am I?"  ::) ;D

Hey, at least it's not Montemezzi;D

Here's the hint that should give the composer away.

JBS

Cecile Chaminade?

She's the only composer I know of who is named after the patron saint of music.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

ritter

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on January 26, 2019, 07:10:28 AM
Cecile Chaminade?

She's the only composer I know of who is named after the patron saint of music.

A-ha!

Praised by Georges Bizet when she was 8; due to her being born a girl she couldn't study at the Conservatory, but took private lessons with Benjamin Godard; althouhg she composed operas, symphonic and chamber music, she is best remembered for her piano music, a genre in which Bizet wrote some fine works, like Jeux d'enfants and Chants du Rhin; one of her best known pieces is La lisonjera, a title which the main character in Carmen would have had no problem understanding. Last but not least, ukrneal, kyjo and yours truly have praised her music here at GMG.

Bravo! Back to you, sir!

Florestan

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on January 26, 2019, 07:22:20 AM
A-ha!

Praised by Georges Bizet when she was 8; due to her being born a girl she couldn't study at the Conservatory, but took private lessons with Benjamin Godard; althouhg she composed operas, symphonic and chamber music, she is best remembered for her piano music, a genre in which Bizet wrote some fine works, like Jeux d'enfants and Chants du Rhin; one of her best known pieces is La lisonjera, a title which the main character in Carmen would have had no problem understanding. Last but not least, ukrneal, kyjo and yours truly have praised her music here at GMG.

Bravo! Back to you, sir!

That was a pure random guess!

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on January 26, 2019, 07:29:35 AM
That was a pure random guess!

Not random; were it not for that Raphael, woudl you have guessed her? I was sure it'd give the composer away. ;D

JBS

Okay. This composer fronted a dance band as a teenager, and attended New York University for two years studying for a business degree before attending a concert of the New York Philharmonic made him decide to become a composer.

Irons

Quote from: JBS on January 26, 2019, 07:36:02 AM
Okay. This composer fronted a dance band as a teenager, and attended New York University for two years studying for a business degree before attending a concert of the New York Philharmonic made him decide to become a composer.

William Schuman ?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

JBS

Quote from: Irons on January 26, 2019, 08:49:01 AM
William Schuman ?

We have a winner!
The name of the band was "Billy Schuman and his Alamo Society Orchestra", btw.

Irons

Which eponymous hero murdered his first son and watched under disguise his second son's execution?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.