Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2019, 02:44:04 AM
Which eponymous hero murdered his first son and watched under disguise his second son's execution?

Titus Andronicus? 
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on January 27, 2019, 09:38:04 AM
Titus Andronicus?
In a version in which Titus's daughter Lavinia is actually a transgender son, perhaps.  ;D

And one would be hard-pressed to find a work based on this gory play which isn't really obscure.  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2019, 10:53:48 AM
In a version in which Titus's daughter Lavinia is actually a transgender son, perhaps.  ;D

I wouldn't be surprised if it has been done.

And one would be hard-pressed to find a work based on this gory play which isn't really obscure.  ::)

The goriness made me think about it (I confess to not having read it, but I do know it's all bloodshed). And who said these quizes are about really obscure composers? I mean, Chaminade vs Montemezzi is a no brainer, really.  >:D

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 27, 2019, 12:59:33 PM
If he wanted a musical work based on the story: Janacek's Rhapsody or the opera by Lysenko.

My guess is Janacek. Be it as it may, afaIc it's your turn. Don't wait, hit us!

Irons

Quote from: San Antone on January 27, 2019, 12:53:40 PM
Taras Bulba

Yes, well done. I could have also added the "hero" met his maker burnt to death strapped to a wheel. Great piece from Janacek.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2019, 01:07:01 PM
I could have also added the "hero" met his maker burnt to death strapped to a wheel.

Is this how Gogol died? My sources beg to differ.  :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 27, 2019, 01:13:10 PM
Here's an easy one:

This composer (whose music is thought to embody the national spirit of his native land) was actually very much influenced by an American writer and two painters, one American and another British. 

Name the composer, the author and the painters.

Joseph Holbrooke and Edgar Allan Poe? (painters be damned)

Irons

Only a guess, but I thought Delius?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on January 27, 2019, 01:23:20 PM
Only a guess, but I thought Delius?

You might be spot on. Let's see.

North Star

Debussy, Poe, Turner & Whistler.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 27, 2019, 01:27:11 PM
Debussy, Poe, Turner & Whistler.

Possibly, but then again "very much influenced"? An overstatement, methinks. Mallarme and the French Impressionist painters were much more influent, methinks as well.

If you really want Poe, then get Holbrooke. Even Rachmaninoff would do.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 27, 2019, 01:33:10 PM
I just finished this book which makes the case very convincingly about their particular influence.

Debussy almost completed two operas based on the works of Poe, and found a kinship in the paintings with his stylistic goals.

Haven't read that book so I can't comment, but from what I read Debussy was quite conscious and deliberate about his Frenchness. Honestly, I doubt he would have justified his musical aesthetics by citing Poe and pointing at Whistler and Turner.

North Star

This composer was hired to write music for a film adaptation of a novel. He then wrote a full-length score based on the novel, apparently thinking the film would be made to fit the score, rather than the other way round. In the end, another person was hired to write the final film score, that, while adapting material from the first score, only left one song from the original untouched. Unhappy about this, the composer then recast his music as a cantata. He also made a recording of the work, though it was cut to fit on an LP. It has been subsequently recorded in full. Name the composer, the film, and the cantata.

My photographs on Flickr

JBS

Quote from: North Star on January 27, 2019, 01:53:04 PM
This composer was hired to write music for a film adaptation of a novel. He then wrote a full-length score based on the novel, apparently thinking the film would be made to fit the score, rather than the other way round. In the end, another person was hired to write the final film score, that, while adapting material from the first score, only left one song from the original untouched. Unhappy about this, the composer then recast his music as a cantata. He also made a recording of the work, though it was cut to fit on an LP. It has been subsequently recorded in full. Name the composer, the film, and the cantata.

[asin]B003LR4QQI[/asin]

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

New question.

The only surviving autograph of this well known composer is a graffito on the wall of the Sistine Chapel (if the autograph is actually his).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

North Star

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2019, 05:07:53 PM
New question.

The only surviving autograph of this well known composer is a graffito on the wall of the Sistine Chapel (if the autograph is actually his).
I got this very question at a game night once. It's exactly who you'd expect it to be I think (once you know). Alas, I didn't know for the game night!! SO I feel I need to disqualify myself from this one. Great question!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ritter

Quote from: JBS on January 27, 2019, 05:07:53 PM
New question.

That would be Josquin des Prés

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 27, 2019, 10:41:55 PM
I got this very question at a game night once. It's exactly who you'd expect it to be I think (once you know). Alas, I didn't know for the game night!! SO I feel I need to disqualify myself from this one. Great question!
Am I right, mc ukrneal? Very gracious of you to abstain... :)

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on January 27, 2019, 01:41:39 PM
Think what you want.  :P   And then read the book.

I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for the rec.