Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2019, 10:42:59 PM
That would be Josquin des Prés
Am I right, mc ukrneal? Very gracious of you to abstain... :)
Yes. And I await your question (which I probably won't know) with great anticipation! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ritter

Thank you, mc ukrneal.

With JBS's permission (I suppose he'll be in bed at this time), here goes a easy one:

This composer (who is mainly remembered for one still frequently performed work) inserted a couple of bars into an interlude of an opera by another very famous composer (as in rehearsals for the world premiere of that opera they could not get a scenery change to adapt to the music as it had been composed). In the subsequent run of performances of the opera, those inserted bars were dropped (as they were no longer necessary).

So who was the composer of those inserted bars, and what opera are we talking about?

EDIT: That Villa-Lobos was a good one, Karlo! Have you seen the film? It's really bizarre!  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 27, 2019, 11:52:51 PM
This composer (who is mainly remembered for one still frequently performed work) inserted a couple of bars into an interlude of an opera by another very famous composer (as in rehearsals for the world premiere of that opera they could not get a scenery change to adapt to the music as it had been composed). In the subsequent run of performances of the opera, those inserted bars were dropped (as they were no longer necessary).

So who was the composer of those inserted bars, and what opera are we talking about?

Ernesto Halffter, de Falla, Atlantida?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2019, 08:59:39 AM
Ernesto Halffter, de Falla, Atlantida?
Ernesto Halffter did not compose "a couple of bars" of Atlántida, but about 50% of the total.  ;)

Frío, frío....

EDIT:

Perhaps not that frío after all: one of Falla's least known works (there's only one recording of it AFAIK) includes a theme that features prominently in the opera we're looking for (but is not originally by its composer).  ;)

JBS

The opera was Parsifal, and the interloping composer was Humperdinck.

Although I have no idea what theme you are referring to (I suppose it might help if I had ever heard Atlantida, of course).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2019, 09:02:53 AM
Ernesto Halffter did not compose "a couple of bars" of Atlántida, but about 50% of the total.  ;)

Frío, frío....

EDIT:

Perhaps not that frío after all: one of Falla's least known works (there's only one recording of it AFAIK) includes a theme that features prominently in the opera we're looking for (but is not originally by its composer).  ;)

NPI. MHN.

Oh, I see JBS scores high again.  :)

ritter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2019, 09:50:38 AM
The opera was Parsifal, and the interloping composer was Humperdinck.
Correct!

And the theme used by Falla (in his incidental music for Calderón's El gran teatro del mundo) and in Parsifal (and by Mendelssohn before that)  is the Dresden Amen.

Your turn, JBS:)

JBS

This one should be fairly easy.
A collateral relative of this composer was one of the lovers of Catherine the Great. His parents were members of the gentry/nobility, but both were actually illegitimate  at birch, although his father was adopted by his biological father (that is, the grandfather of the composer).  At one point his father was vice governor of  Novograd.    As a composer, he is almost as well known for his adaptations and orchestrations of the works of other composers as for his own works.  And, as a final clue, he is referenced in Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2019, 10:08:48 AM
A collateral relative of this composer was one of the lovers of Catherine the Great. His parents were members of the gentry/nobility, but both were actually illegitimate  at birch, although his father was adopted by his biological father (that is, the grandfather of the composer).  At one point his father was vice governor of  Novograd.    As a composer, he is almost as well known for his adaptations and orchestrations of the works of other composers as for his own works.  And, as a final clue, he is referenced in Solzhenitsyn's The First Circle.
I don't know the personal life stuff ,but the other stuff kinda sounds like Rimsky-Korsakov.

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2019, 10:08:48 AM

Glinka?

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on January 28, 2019, 10:13:56 AM
Glinka?

Right country, at least.
Extra clue is....the insect genus Bombus. 

ritter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2019, 10:34:02 AM
Right country, at least.
Extra clue is....the insect genus Bombus.
Hasn't mc ukrneal got it right?

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 28, 2019, 10:12:33 AM
I don't know the personal life stuff ,but the other stuff kinda sounds like Rimsky-Korsakov.

JBS

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2019, 10:40:04 AM
Hasn't mc ukrneal got it right?

Sorry,  I missed Neal's reply....so he has the ball now, so to speak...

Bombus is the bumblebee, btw.  Looking it up, I stumbled on the fact that the word itself did not appear until late medieval/Tudor time, and before that one term used to refer to these insects was "dumbledor".  So you can use that for your next Harry Potter trivia game.

mc ukrneal

There is something that inks all these composers together: Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Liszt, Joachim, MacDowell, and Gade. What is it that links them?
(If guesses are wrong, I will add more composers to that list).

ritter

Quote from: JBS on January 28, 2019, 10:47:47 AM
...I stumbled on the fact that the word itself did not appear until late medieval/Tudor time, and before that one term used to refer to these insects was "dumbledor".  So you can use that for your next Harry Potter trivia game.
Yep, in the Good Magic Guide Forum.... ;D

ritter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 28, 2019, 10:51:36 AM
There is something that inks all these composers together: Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Liszt, Joachim, MacDowell, and Gade. What is it that links them?
(If guesses are wrong, I will add more composers to that list).
The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2019, 10:57:05 AM

You beat me to a second.  :laugh:

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2019, 10:57:05 AM
That was quick! The others were German, Thomas, Walton, Blacher, Kabelac, Woyrsh, Rihm, and Casablancas. If I missed anyone let me know. 

You're up!

ritter

Another really easy one:

This composer was born on a boat (the crossing is so short, I'm surprised the delivery could be completed before they docked). Who is he?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 28, 2019, 11:08:56 AM
Another really easy one:

This composer was born on a boat (the crossing is so short, I'm surprised the delivery could be completed before they docked). Who is he?

Andre Caplet.