Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 01:31:42 AM
Strauss II rto Rossini: Figaro-Polka op. 320
Rossini to Verdi: Otello
Verdi to Elgar: Falstaff
Elgar to Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings
Tchaikovskly to Herbert: Serenade for Strings
Really close, but the last one is something else (works don't repeat) and I used something else for the first one (something more well known).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 30, 2019, 01:33:54 AM
Really close, but the last one is something else (works don't repeat) and I used something else for the first one (something more well known).

You didn't specifiy either that works don't repeat or that works have to be famous. On the contrary, you said there's no restriction in what the works might be. ;D

Anyway, the first one is Cinderella. The last one I can't figure out.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 01:44:53 AM
You didn't specifiy either that works don't repeat or that works have to be famous. On the contrary, you said there's no restriction in what the works might be. ;D
Pot...kettle. ..black. .. : ;). Your question about two "poet / philosopher - composers "  had, what was it, 6 valid answers ?  :D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 01:44:53 AM

Anyway, the first one is Cinderella. The last one I can't figure out.
Well, I'll give it to you, since I did say that. The last one was the Enchantress. I'll be sure to take your 'advice' on board next time! :)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on January 30, 2019, 01:50:56 AM
Pot...kettle. ..black. .. : ;). Your question about two "poet / philosopher - composers "  had, what was it, 6 valid answers ?  :D
Yeah! Let him have it! :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on January 30, 2019, 01:50:56 AM

First, my questioin was not about "poet / philosopher / composer" but simply about "composer", the rest was up to you; second, I acknowledged them all as valid.  :)

But there's no problem, really. Come up with the connection between Tchaikosvksy and Herbert and you win.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 30, 2019, 01:57:23 AM
Well, I'll give it to you, since I did say that. The last one was the Enchantress.

How does it connect to Tchaikovsky? I ask because I really don't know.

Florestan

This composer manifested a very early musical talent. Beside music, he had a keen interest in another art form. His musical work is mostly written for piano, with some symphonic and chamber works thrown in for good measure. he died in a psychiatric asylum. He was a synaesthete with a strong penchant for cosmic mysticism. Who is he?

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 02:36:05 AM
This composer manifested a very early musical talent. Beside music, he had a keen interest in another art form. His musical work is mostly written for piano, with some symphonic and chamber works thrown in for good measure. he died in a psychiatric asylum. He was a synaesthete with a strong penchant for cosmic mysticism. Who is he?
Ciurlionis.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

North Star

This composer was taught an instrument by a pupil of another composer. Both composers were born in (essentially) the same country, and died in the same city, in another country. Who are the two composers?

My photographs on Flickr

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 02:10:09 AM
How does it connect to Tchaikovsky? I ask because I really don't know.

The Enchantress was a work by both Herbert (operetta) and Tchaikovsky (opera).

ritter

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 30, 2019, 03:11:07 AM
And that was me looking for an obscure connection between Naughty Marietta and Francesca da Rimini... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 30, 2019, 03:11:07 AM

Thanks.

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 03:08:54 AM
(essentially) the same country

Either the Austrian or the Russian Empire, right?

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 03:24:18 AM
Either the Austrian or the Russian Empire, right?
No. The form of government was restored after an armed conflict had ended, for some time after the younger composer's birth, but abolished a few years later.

My photographs on Flickr

Biffo

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 04:02:56 AM
No. The form of government was restored after an armed conflict had ended, for some time after the younger composer's birth, but abolished a few years later.

This suggests to me the Third French Republic, established after the Franco-Prussian War caused the collapse of the Second Empire (ca 1871); the Third Republic perished with the Fall of France (1940).

North Star

Quote from: Biffo on January 30, 2019, 04:36:41 AM
This suggests to me the Third French Republic, established after the Franco-Prussian War caused the collapse of the Second Empire (ca 1871); the Third Republic perished with the Fall of France (1940).
No, but that is where the two died, though not during the Third Republic.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

I can think of some combos that at various points in history could have been considered "essentially" the same country, such as Portugal/Brazil, Denmark/Norway or Spain/Cuba but none of them fits the historical hint.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on January 30, 2019, 04:36:41 AM

From 1871 to 1940 there were not "a few years", though, but seven full decades.  :)