Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 05:00:43 AM
I can think of some combos that at various point in history could have been considered "essentially" the same country, such as Portugal/Brazil, Denmark/Norway or Spain/Cuba but none of them fits the historical hint.
It's just one country, but the war changed temporarily who was in charge, until a coup before the end of the war.  0:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 05:13:43 AM
It's just one country, but the war changed temporarily who was in charge, until a coup before the end of the war.  0:)

If you mean Italy, then it's incorrect that the form of government was restored because under Mussolini Italy did not formally cease to be a monarchy.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 05:15:59 AM
If you mean Italy, then it's incorrect that the form of government was restored because under Mussolini Italy did not formally cease to be a monarchy.
No, I don't mean Italy, but another monarchy was briefly turned into a national legionary state.  >:D

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 05:25:17 AM
No, I don't mean Italy, but another monarchy was briefly turned into a national legionary state.  >:D

You are still incorrect. From 1866 to 1947 Romania has never formally ceased to be a monarchy. During the so called "national legionary state" (1940-41) the formal and never disputed head of state was king Michael.

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 05:29:27 AM
You are still incorrect. From 1866 to 1947 Romania has never formally ceased to be a monarchy. During the so called "national legionary state" the formal and never disputed head of state was king Michael.
I stand corrected.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 05:33:46 AM
I stand corrected.

No problem.

Now, one of the two composers is obviously Enescu, but who is the other?  ???

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 05:45:20 AM
No problem.

Now, one of the two composers is obviously Enescu, but who is the other? Ligeti, Xennakis and Kurtag fit in "essentially the same country" but where they taught by one of Enescu's pupils? I couldn't find anything in this respect. Conversely, which one of Enescu's teachers was the pupil of a composer born in present-day Romania? I couldn't find anything in this respect, either.

Beats me, honestly.  :)
Enescu's pupil was the other composer's teacher.

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 05:46:03 AM
Enescu's pupil was the other composer's teacher.

Still no idea. Xenakis?  :D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 05:49:44 AM
Still no idea. Xennakis?  :D
I don't think he played the violin. ;)

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 05:55:27 AM
I don't think he played the violin. ;)

I don't think either, it was just a random guess.

Florestan

Horațiu Rădulescu.

Why "(essentially) the same country"? It's u]the[/u] same country all the way. You put me on the wrong track from the beginning.  ;D

mc ukrneal

Ok, I thought I knew who it was and then stumbled across someone else quite by accident - a name I've never even heard before: Horațiu Rădulescu. Is that it?

Shoot you beat me by just a bit!!!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 06:21:29 AM
Horațiu Rădulescu.

Why "(essentially) the same country"? It's u]the[/u] same country all the way. You put me on the wrong track from the beginning.  ;D
Yes, and you're right. I made mistake when making the question, thinking Rădulescu was born during the communist era.. But still, the same country ;D

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 30, 2019, 06:21:54 AM
Shoot you beat me by just a bit!!!

By writing "(essentially) the same country" Karlo made me think about non-Romanian composers born on the territory of present-day Romania, particuarly in Transylvania. It took me a long time until I looked for a list of purely Romanian composers.

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on January 30, 2019, 06:27:17 AM
Yes, and you're right. I made mistake when making the question, thinking Rădulescu was born during the communist era.. But still, the same country ;D

Yes, same country. See my reply above.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 06:30:05 AM
Yes, same country. See my reply above.
Except that much irreparable harm was done to the city he was born in.  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on January 30, 2019, 07:03:18 AM
Except that much irreparable harm was done to the city he was born in.  ???

Sad but true.  :(

This composer was born in one country (say, A) and died in another one (say, B). While in A he studied with someone who would become B's most famous composer. He was deeply passionate about, and heavily influenced by, B's culture and folklore. He died as a result of an incident in which he took part inadvertently. Oddly enough, one of his teacher's compositions inadvertently celebrate a feature of the person who caused his death.

Name the two composers, the two countries and the composition.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 07:49:27 AM
Sad but true.  :(

This composer was born in one country (say, A) and died in another one (say, B). While in A he studied with someone who would become B's most famous composer. He was deeply passionate about, and heavily influenced by, B's culture and folklore. He died as a result of an incident in which he took part inadvertently. Oddly enough, one of his teacher's compositions inadvertently celebrate a feature of the person who caused his death.

Name the two composers, the two countries and the composition.
NPI.... :(

Florestan

ritter

Quote from: San Antone on February 12, 2019, 02:31:12 AM
I am not sure where we are in this thread - but I thought I'd post a question for your consideration (probably very easy):

He was the most literary of composers. In his early years he was torn between literature and music and tried his hand at both. Fortunately for us, his early sketches for novels in the style of his favorite Romantic writers came to nothing. Instead we have the enduring magic of solo piano works, the great song cycles, a wealth of chamber music, and many other orchestral and choral works.  His extraordinary artistic achievements must be set against recurrent illness, self-inflicted obstacles, and misjudgments.

Who is he?
I imagine that would be Robert Schumann (and yes, I did use your subsequent post in the WAYLTN thread as a clue... :)).

Florestan 's last (and, true to his style, rather cryptic) question remains unanswered, and he seems reticent to provide any clues... :(