Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 12, 2019, 02:57:29 AM
Florestan 's last (and, true to his style, rather cryptic) question remains unanswered, and he seems reticent to provide any clues... :(

Yiou must have misssed this:

Quote from: Florestan on February 09, 2019, 04:54:46 AM
Kolahtaa!  :D

Here's another one: the famous composer was a heavy drinker and in one respect ressembles Rossini.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on February 12, 2019, 03:39:41 AM
Yiou must have misssed this:

Here's another one: the famous composer was a heavy drinker and in one respect ressembles Rossini.

Sibelius springs to mind. Like Rossini he lived for many years after retiring from composing though Rossini continued to compose for his own amusement.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on February 12, 2019, 03:53:03 AM
Sibelius springs to mind. Like Rossini he lived for many years after retiring from composing though Rossini continued to compose for his own amusement.

Hot! Very hot!

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on January 30, 2019, 07:49:27 AM
Sad but true.  :(

This composer was born in one country (say, A) and died in another one (say, B). While in A he studied with someone who would become B's most famous composer. He was deeply passionate about, and heavily influenced by, B's culture and folklore. He died as a result of an incident in which he took part inadvertently. Oddly enough, one of his teacher's compositions inadvertently celebrate a feature of the person who caused his death.

Name the two composers, the two countries and the composition.
Sibelius, born in the Russian Empire, Grand Duchy of Finland, and died in Finland, as did Toivo Kuula, who, in a drunken fight with jägers about whether the jägers, trained in Germany, or the peasant army had a bigger role in getting Finland independent, and if Toivo Kuula's March of the White Guard was better than Sibelius' Jäger March, and also the Swedish/Finnish language question, got in a fist fight with the jägers, pulled a knife, cut (not very seriously) an officer of the White Guard, and escaped to the yard, where after falling down in the stairs, he was shot in the head by the jägers.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Florestan

Quote from: North Star on February 12, 2019, 06:24:11 AM
Sibelius, born in the Russian Empire, Grand Duchy of Finland, and died in Finland, as did Toivo Kuula, who, in a drunken fight with jägers about whether the jägers, trained in Germany, or the peasant army had a bigger role in getting Finland independent, and if Toivo Kuula's March of the White Guard was better than Sibelius' Jäger March, and also the Swedish/Finnish language question, got in a fist fight with the jägers, pulled a knife, cut (not very seriously) an officer of the White Guard, and escaped to the yard, where after falling down in the stairs, he was shot in the head by the jägers.

If you wouldn't know the correct answers, who would?  :D

North Star

Quote from: Florestan on February 12, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
If you wouldn't know the correct answers, who would?  :D
Quite.  :laugh: I had an inkling it might be Sibelius and someone else right away but didn't remember anything about his possible students, but that hint made me check if Kuula studied with him...

Rafael can take the next turn.

My photographs on Flickr

ritter

Quote from: North Star on February 12, 2019, 11:02:18 AM
Quite.  :laugh: I had an inkling it might be Sibelius and someone else right away but didn't remember anything about his possible students, but that hint made me check if Kuula studied with him...

Rafael can take the next turn.
Thanks, Karlo, but I won't be able to follow this for the coming days. The honour is yours, in any case.  ;)

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on February 14, 2019, 04:06:19 AM
While we wait for North Star to test us, I offer this simple question:

What do a fin de siecle French composer and the Father of Bluegrass have in common?  Name the men and the work.
Both - Maurice Ravel and Bill Monroe - had a car accident. (Knew it about Ravel, didn't know Monroe).  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on February 14, 2019, 04:37:31 AM
Not what I was thinking of, and it involves a specific musical composition of each. Wrong Frenchman, right grasser.
Des pas sur la neige (Préludes, first book, 1909/10) & Footprints in the snow (1945), by one Claude Debussy and Bill Monroe, respectively.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

North Star

Quote from: San Antone on February 14, 2019, 10:55:32 AM
Correct!  Your turn if North Star remains AWOL.

8)
I'll gladly hand the baton over to Christo:laugh:

My photographs on Flickr

Christo

Quote from: North Star on February 14, 2019, 11:02:46 AM
I'll gladly hand the baton over to Christo:laugh:
It's my honour!  :D

This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia, but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America. Together they wrote ten symphonies and about twice as many concertos.  ::)

Christo

Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2019, 10:30:05 PM
This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia, but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America. Together they wrote ten symphonies and about twice as many concertos.  ::)

Hint: both studied in Paris.

ritter

I can only come up with the Rubinstein brothers, but they don't see to meet any of the other criteria set out by Christo.  :(

Irons

Quote from: ritter on February 15, 2019, 07:29:01 AM
I can only come up with the Rubinstein brothers, but they don't see to meet any of the other criteria set out by Christo.  :(

I'm the other way round! Tcherepnin fits the criteria but I can't find a brother!
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Christo

Quote from: ritter on February 15, 2019, 07:29:01 AM
Quote from: Irons on February 15, 2019, 07:45:23 AM
I'm the other way round! Tcherepnin fits the criteria but I can't find a brother!

Nope, neither can I.  :-X Another hint: who told you they're brothers?  ::)

JBS

Did Vladimir Dukelsky aka Vernon Duke have a brother?
(He does fit most of the other clues.)

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

Quote from: JBS on February 15, 2019, 04:07:52 PM
Did Vladimir Dukelsky aka Vernon Duke have a brother?
(He does fit most of the other clues.)
Good try; but no.  :-\  Some more hints then. Between the wars, both composers studied in Paris, the first with Nadia Boulanger, the second with Tcherepnin - but unlike the latter both were free to return to their respective home countries and continue to build a career there. Like Dukelsky and for similar reasons, the second later moved to New York City.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 06:56:12 AM
Between the wars, both composers studied in Paris, the first with Nadia Boulanger, the second with Tcherepnin - but unlike the latter both were free to return to their respective home countries and continue to build a career there.

I really don't get this. You said they were brothers born in Russia. What do you mean by "their respective home countries"?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 07:28:39 AMI really don't get this. You said they were brothers born in Russia. What do you mean by "their respective home countries"?
I wrote:

This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia, but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America. Together they wrote ten symphonies and about twice as many concertos.

ritter

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 07:31:58 AM
I wrote:

This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia, but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America. Together they wrote ten symphonies and about twice as many concertos.
But are the brothers or not?  ???

Another hint: who told you they're brothers?  ::)

I'm rather confused... :-[