Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 07:31:58 AM
I wrote:

This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia,

Which makes Russia their home country alright.

but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America.

Then you surely meant "their respective adoption countries".

And now that I think of it, what purpose has "though" above? It's an adverastive conjunction but I fail to see why you employed it.

It's all quite confusing, honestly.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 07:45:45 AM
Which makes Russia their home country alright.
Something happened with the Russian empire, remember? With 'home country' I'm referring to their ancestral lands, nations & also home countries.
Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 07:45:45 AM
Then you surely meant "their respective adoption countries".
No, I didn't, I meant what I wrote.
Quote from: ritter on February 16, 2019, 07:45:30 AM
But are the brothers or not?  ???
Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2019, 07:53:21 AM
Another hint: who told you they're brothers?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 07:56:01 AM
Something happened with the Russian empire, remember? With 'home country' I'm referring to their ancestral lands, nations & also home countries.

Okay, so this is what I infer from the above:

1. they were born in Russia but were not ethnic Russians
2. they were brothers yet they had different ancestral lands/nations

I have no problem with (1), but (2) is even more confusing than before.  ;D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:00:11 AM
Okay, so this is what I infer from the above:

1. they were born in Russia but were not ethnic Russians
2. they were brothers yet they had different ancestral lands/nations

I have no problem with (1), but (2) is even more confusing than before.  ;D
Ad 1: correct
Ad 2: no, they weren't & no, they hadn't.  8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:03:20 AM
Ad 2: no, they weren't

They were not brothers? Then you either are drunk now or were back then when you wrote this:

Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2019, 10:30:05 PM
It's my honour!  :D

This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia

No, really: now you say that this composer's brother was actually not his brother. Boggles the mind!

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:06:36 AMNo, really: now you say that this composer's brother was actually not his brother. Boggles the mind!
Think again.   >:D

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:08:52 AM

Were they brothers? Yes or No. If Yes, then your original hint stands as true. If No, it is false --- and how are we supposed to find the right answer based on a false hint?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:12:46 AMWere they brothers? Yes or No. If Yes, then your original hint stands as true. If No, it is false --- and how are we supposed to find the right answer based on a false hint?
Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2019, 07:53:21 AMwho told you they're brothers?  ::)
Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:03:20 AM
no, they weren't
Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:08:52 AM
Yes, please do so.  >:D

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 15, 2019, 07:53:21 AM
who told you they're brothers?  ::)

You did. If you can't remember your own posts, let me refresh your memory.

Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2019, 10:30:05 PM
This composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia

I dare anyone to interpret this statement of yours in any other way than they were indeed brothers.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:24:11 AM
You did. If you can't remember your own posts, let me refresh your memory.

I dare anyone to interpret this statement of yours in any other way than they were indeed brothers.
Me. You better read & think again.  >:D

Papy Oli

step brothers ?  ;D
brothers from another mother ?   :blank:

Olivier

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 16, 2019, 08:27:33 AM
step brothers ?  ;D
brothers from another mother ?   :blank:
Nope, bis.  ;) The composer's brother was just a brother & also a composer.

ritter

Ah, of course...the famous Schroedingers, who are simultaneously brothers snd not brothers... >:D

Papy Oli

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:29:00 AM
Nope, bis.  ;) The composer's brother was just a brother & also a composer.

We're in a spot of b(r)other...  :P
Olivier

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 16, 2019, 08:33:22 AM
Ah, of course...the famous Schroedingers, who are simultaneously brothers snd not brothers... >:D

I give up. This seems to be some kind of wordplay which no sane person with even a basic knowledge of English seems to be able to decipher.

And you dared call me cryptic... 

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:37:07 AM
I give up. This seems to be some kind of wordplay which no sane person with even a basic knowledge of English seems to be able to decipher.

Deep, deep sigh. And another hint: her daughter is a - rather famous, they say - painter.  :P

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 08:38:40 AM
Deep, deep sigh. And another hint: her daughter is a - rather famous, they say - painter.  :P

Her, that is, whose?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:43:08 AM
Her, that is, whose?
The composer's (only) daughter is a painter, the composer's brother was also a composer.  :blank:

Papy Oli

well, the composer is female....

the brother can't be...

can he ?

;D
Olivier

Christo

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 16, 2019, 08:45:58 AM
well, the composer is female....

the brother can't be...

can he ?

;D
No, he can't. He's his sister's brother and she is more famous.  :laugh: (Yet I own recordings of both of them).