Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Papy Oli on February 16, 2019, 08:45:58 AM
well, the composer is female....

the brother can't be...

can he ?

;D

Now I see what Christo did. Well, blame it on the damn English language which distinguishes not between genres when it comes to articles or nouns. "This composer" means either she or he. There's no such ambiguity in Romanian (a Romance language), where the article and the noun tells one rioght away if it's a he or a she. Therefore my confusion, and probably also ritter's.

I must admit, Johan, you tricked us alright! Clever, clever --- or should I say, naughty, naughty?  :D

Yet I still have no effing idea about them!
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

It's not the English language, it's your naughty lack of imagination - that forbids you to think that a composer can be a woman.  >:D The question remains: who's she, and who's her brother?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 09:07:40 AM
It's not the English language, it's your naughty lack of imagination - that forbids you to think that a composer can be a woman.  >:D

Oh yeah, sure, I was such an unimaginative guy as to offer Cecile Chaminade as riddle some pages ago.

The question remains: who's she, and who's her brother?  ::)

She is her brother's sister and her brother is his sister's brother.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 09:24:42 AM
She is her brother's sister and her brother is his sister's brother.
They were a musical family: another brother was a well-known pianist and also composer, who shared her nationaltiy (unlike the more famous brother we're looking for).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 09:34:15 AM
They were a musical family: another brother was a well-known pianist and also composer, who shared her nationaltiy (unlike the more famous brother we're looking for).

More confusing than ever! I give up.

JBS

In other words we are looking for a family of three composers, one of them a female who emigrated to the US while the two other siblings stayed in Europe.

IHN*I....

Was her name change related to marriage or something else?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 09:53:09 AM
More confusing than ever! I give up.
OK. She's Polish composer, Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969) and her brother is the Lithuanian avant-garde composer Vytautas Bacevičius (1905-1970): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gra%C5%BCyna_Bacewicz & http://www.mic.lt/en/database/classical/composers/bacevicius & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vytautas_Bacevi%C4%8Dius
Both she and her brother Kiejstut (the pianist) identified as Polish, but her father and older brother identified as Lithuanian; adaptiing the Polish and Lithuanian variants of their family name respectively (a fact that always intrigued me, hence my riddle). All were born in born in Łódź, in the Russian empire, and all were forced to chose their nationality as a consequence of the First World War (as were many, in Central Europe). Vytautas became an exile after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and settled in New York.

Your turn again.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 10:09:39 AM
OK. She's Polish composer, Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969) and her brother is the Lithuanian avant-garde composer Vytautas Bacevičius (1905-1970): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gra%C5%BCyna_Bacewicz & http://www.mic.lt/en/database/classical/composers/bacevicius & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vytautas_Bacevi%C4%8Dius
Both she and her brother Kiejstut (the pianist) identified as Polish, but her father and older brother identified as Lithuanian; adaptiing the Polish and Lithuanian variants of their family name respectively (a fact that always intrigued me, hence my riddle). All were born in born in Łódź, in the Russian empire, and all were forced to chose their nationality as a consequence of the First World War (as were many, in Central Europe). Vytautas became an exile after the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact and settled in New York.

Well played, sir! Really well played! My hat off to you! I withdraw my previous comments about your drunkenness and apologize.  0:)

Your turn again.  ;D

Do I deserve it?  ???

Amyway...

This composer (NB, a he not a she...  >:D ) was born in an illustrious family. In his circle of acquaintances there were three illustrious men of letter. Three illustrious composers' works are closely related to him. His complete works are available on Spotify (where it is available, that is).

Hint: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 10:28:32 AM
This composer (NB, a he not a she...  >:D ) was born in an illustrious family. In his circle of acquaintances there were three illustrious men of letter. Three illustrious composers' works are closely related to him. His complete works are available on Spotify (where it is available, that is).

Hint: Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori.

Hmm, François Couperin?  :blank:

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 11:01:38 AM
Hmm, François Couperin?  :blank:

Nee:D

How does he fit in the hint?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 11:03:54 AM
Nee:D

How does he fit in the hint?
I remember we learned to translated these lines in our first class; why couldn't it refer to Couperin's death ('Tombeau de Couperin', after all)?  ::)

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 11:34:23 AM
I remember we learned to translated these lines in our first class; why couldn't it refer to Couperin's death ('Tombeau de Couperin', after all)?  ::)

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  ;D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 11:39:24 AM
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  ;D
Composers never die for their fatherland, they only write music for the occasion.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 11:57:10 AM
Composers never die for their fatherland, they only write music for the occasion.

You're wrong --- and not only in this case.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 12:00:41 PM
You're wrong --- and not only in this case.
Hah! #diedinwar #scribblesdown  8)

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 12:03:36 PM
#diedinwar

#diedinaction

#themanwhokilledhimisknownbynamesurnameandrank

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 12:06:40 PM
#diedinaction

#themanwhokilledhimisknownbynamesurnameandrank

PFC Raymond Norwood Bell?

Although PPMDE and KIA don't seem to really apply to Webern.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on February 16, 2019, 12:28:35 PM
PFC Raymond Norwood Bell?

Although PPMDE and KIA don't seem to really apply to Webern.

Nope and nope.

KIA it is, though.

SymphonicAddict

If Andrei and Christo ever meet face to face, I feel the strong hunch that they will get along very well  :D

Christo

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on February 16, 2019, 06:59:37 PMIf Andrei and Christo ever meet face to face, I feel the strong hunch that they will get along very well  :D

We're a smooth running tandem, solving riddles together in the closest of all possible cooperations.  8) My entry:
Quote from: Christo on February 14, 2019, 10:30:05 PMThis composer's brother was also a composer. Both were born in Russia, but adopted different nationalities and different versions of their last name (the same family name), though later the brother moved to North America. Together they wrote ten symphonies and about twice as many concertos.  ::)
met with some constructive scepticism:
Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:12:46 AMWere they brothers? Yes or No. If Yes, then your original hint stands as true. If No, it is false --- and how are we supposed to find the right answer based on a false hint?
especially:
Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:06:36 AMThey were not brothers? Then you either are drunk now or were back then when you wrote
and of course some moments of thorough self-reflection:
Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 08:37:07 AMI give up. This seems to be some kind of wordplay which no sane person with even a basic knowledge of English seems to be able to decipher.  And you dared call me cryptic...
but, as always, it all served to reach a higher form of mutual respect and understanding:
Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 10:28:32 AM
Well played, sir! Really well played! My hat off to you! I withdraw my previous comments about your drunkenness and apologize.  0:)
because the answer really wasn't that difficult at all & and we all happily continued playing our collections of their music:
Quote from: Christo on February 16, 2019, 10:09:39 AM
OK. She's Polish composer, Grażyna Bacewicz (1909-1969) and her brother is the Lithuanian avant-garde composer Vytautas Bacevičius (1905-1970)

You see, a little fun & games bring us all closer together.  ;D