Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on February 16, 2019, 06:59:37 PM
If Andrei and Christo ever meet face to face, I feel the strong hunch that they will get along very well  :D

As far as I'm concerned there's no reason why we wouldn't.  :)

Supplementary hint for the KIA composer: his uncle was also a composer (and instrumentist) and is far more famous than him.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 16, 2019, 12:32:20 PM
KIA it is, though.
The usual suspects, all KIA, are Toivo Kuula, Jehan Alain, Albéric Magnard, René Vierne, Maurice Jaubert, Rudi Stephan, Edmund von Borck, Clement Harris, George Butterworth, Frederick Kelly, Ernest Farrar, Walter Leigh. But I don't see anyone fitting the other criteria, do you?  ;)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 18, 2019, 01:36:26 AM
The usual suspects, all KIA, are Toivo Kuula,

He was not KIA, see above North Star's post about him.

QuoteJehan Alain, Albéric Magnard, René Vierne, Maurice Jaubert, Rudi Stephan, Edmund von Borck, Clement Harris, George Butterworth, Frederick Kelly, Ernest Farrar, Walter Leigh. But I don't see anyone fitting the other criteria, do you?  ;)

No, I don't.

Think deep. Think outside the box.   ;D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 18, 2019, 03:25:27 AM
Think deep. Think outside the box.   ;D
You mean: 'killed in action' like Lully was, who struck his foot with his long conducting staff and died from gangrene?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 18, 2019, 09:40:37 AM
You mean: 'killed in action' like Lully was, who struck his foot with his long conducting staff and died from gangrene?

No. I mean "killed in action" like in killed in action, ie during a battle.

You know, it's not only during WWI that people were KIA. And remember what yuo said about me not being able to imagine that a composer can be a woman? I proved you wrong --- now can you prove me wrong if I think you're not able to imagine that a composer can be a(n)______.? (hint: just recently a GMGer stated in another thread that he had a few things in common with a very famous composer --- which is incidentally quite relevant to our current discussion ---, one of which had something to do with hate).

That's it, I gave him away.  ;D

Jo498

Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on February 18, 2019, 01:06:09 PM
Prince Louis Ferdinand of Prussia?

Yessss!

Nephew of Frederick the Great of Prussia, king, composer and flutist.

Quote from: Wikipedia
He was killed in combat by Jean-Baptiste Guindey, quartermaster of the French 10th Hussars, after Louis Ferdinand refused an offer to surrender and wounded the French NCO

Dedicatee of Beethoven's Third Piano Concerto and Antonin Reicha's L'art de varier. Liszt wrote an Élégie sur des motifs du Prince Louis Ferdinand de Prusse.

Bravo, mein Herr! Your turn!

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 18, 2019, 09:58:35 AMnow can you prove me wrong if I think you're not able to imagine that a composer can be a Prussian
#fixed 8)

Jo498

I had in fact thought of Prince Louis Ferdinand already a few weeks ago both as a possible solution (but he did not fit the particular question) and as a possible quiz question to put. Tbh I hadn't really followed the current question but #326 really gave it away because it referred to the ridiculous statement someone made that Beethoven "hated" the aristocracy. He might have hated the concept but he was friends with many aristocrats and supposedly said about Louis Ferdinand something like that he was a good pianist (or composer), "not at all princely"
I even owned that Thorofon box for a while but eventually culled it. The music is roughly like a lesser Hummel or Ries, nice enough but certainly not essential.

I am too lazy to think of a good question, so here an easy one with aristocracy: Which famous popular song was composed by a Princess and later Queen who was deposed by a foreign aggressor (or more precisely in a coup staged by the foreign power) although she was allowed to live and died more than 20 years later?
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on February 18, 2019, 11:16:27 PM
I am too lazy to think of a good question, so here an easy one with aristocracy: Which famous popular song was composed by a Princess and later Queen who was deposed by a foreign aggressor (or more precisely in a coup staged by the foreign power) although she was allowed to live and died more than 20 years later?

Aloha oe, composed by Queen Liliʻuokalani of Hawaii.

I didn't know the answer beforehand but the historical hint made me immediately think of her.  :)

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 18, 2019, 11:32:52 PM
Nope. I meant aristocrat.   ;D
I live less than a mile from the castle of the count ('Imperial Count') who wrote these six Concerti Armonici (and heard them performed there):
https://www.youtube.com/v/PPHBcqLUEwI

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 18, 2019, 11:53:00 PM
I live less than a mile from the castle of the count ('Imperial Count') who wrote these six Concerti Armonici (and heard them performed there):
https://www.youtube.com/v/PPHBcqLUEwI

I never knew you're into Baroque.  :)

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 18, 2019, 11:59:43 PM
I never knew you're into Baroque.  :)
I sing loads of Bach (did the St. Matthew P twice, last Spring) but prefer less backward instruments in an orchestra.  ;D

Florestan

Here's an easy one: which composer had a deep interest in the study of cider, vinegar and constipation?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2019, 12:10:06 AM
Here's an easy one: which composer had a deep interest in the study of cider, vinegar and constipation?
Sounds like Cyril Scott?

Florestan

Christo

OK. This composer wrote mostly vocal music, but also poetry, was personally adored by an emperor, took a monastic vow and was dedicated a special feast day (celebrated September 7).   ::)

ritter

Saint Kassia the Hymographer?

Christo

Quote from: ritter on February 19, 2019, 01:23:43 AM
Saint Kassia the Hymographer?
The one & only! Kassia or Kassiani (805/10-ca.865), Roman abbess, composer, poet, and hymnographer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassia
https://www.youtube.com/v/ioWWIiG_sHc