Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjme

To make things even more complicated fun, allow me add some ingredients to this quizical brouhaha:

I'm a composer and a virtuoso. I traveled a lot: Russia, Austria, Hungary, Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden , Norway, the Baltic states...Everywhere I was received with great consideration and I met at least one emperor and several kings in person. I performed for Berlioz, shared a podium with Franz Liszt, shook hands with Wagner and Meyerbeer, talked to Rossini. I even performed, in Leipzig,in a trio, with Felix Mendelssohn and Ferdinand David. Who am I?

ritter

Quote from: Christo on February 19, 2019, 01:29:38 AM
The one & only! Kassia or Kassiani (805/10-ca.865), Roman abbess, composer, poet, and hymnographer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kassia
https://www.youtube.com/v/ioWWIiG_sHc
I must confess that the list of orthodox feast days was what helped me; I had never heard of Saint Kassia(ni). I listen to toe YouTube you posted with interest.

Since I cannot post a question right now, let's go ahead using pjme's very cosmopolitan and well-connected mystery composer.  :)

Christo

Quote from: ritter on February 19, 2019, 01:54:12 AM
I must confess that the list of orthodox feast days was what helped me; I had never heard of Saint Kassia(ni). I listen to toe YouTube you posted with interest.

Since I cannot post a question right now, let's go ahead using pjme's very cosmopolitan and well-connected mystery composer.  :)
I was sure, Andrei would only check the Catholic calendar.  8) ;D Good idea to follow Peter's (pjme) lead and wonder, whether his mystery composer-virtuoso could be Clara Wieck, perhaps?  :-\
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

pjme

No, it is a man: moustache & beard well trimmed.

ritter

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2019, 02:18:15 AM
No, it is a man: moustache & beard well trimmed.
Well , I have this silly anecdote : during the intermission of a concert at the Laieszhalle in Hamburg,  I was looking at the busts on display in the foyer.  There was, among other figures related to the musical history of the Hansestadt, Mahler and Scnittke. I noticed a bust that reminded me of Voltaire,  and I asked myself what on earth he could be doing there. Then I saw the nameplate : it wasn't Voltaire at all, it was Clara Wieck!   ;D

pjme

Hmmmm.....Aha!

ritter

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2019, 01:32:50 AM
To make things even more complicated fun, allow me add some ingredients to this quizical brouhaha:

I'm a composer and a virtuoso. I traveled a lot: Russia, Austria, Hungary, Germany, France, Belgium, Poland, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden , Norway, the Baltic states...Everywhere I was received with great consideration and I met at least one emperor and several kings in person. I performed for Berlioz, shared a podium with Franz Liszt, shook hands with Wagner and Meyerbeer, talked to Rossini. I even performed, in Leipzig,in a trio, with Felix Mendelssohn and Ferdinand David. Who am I?

Ole Bull? Although he had no moustache and beard.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

mc ukrneal

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

ritter

Niccolò Paganini? No moustache AFAIK, but perhaps sideburns will do in this context?

Florestan

The "moustache and beard" criterion is met by Stephen Heller, but I don't know about the other ones.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 19, 2019, 05:13:16 AM
Niccolò Paganini? No moustache AFAIK, but perhaps sideburns will do in this context?

Did he travel as far North as Norway?

Christo

Henri Vieuxtemps, perhaps?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 19, 2019, 05:17:26 AM
Henri Vieuxtemps, perhaps?

Given pjme is Belgian, it might be HV alright.

ritter

Paganini, Vieuxtemps, Sarasate...all those violin dudes are the same to me   ::) :D. But yes, Vieuxtemps does seem to fit the bill. Let's see what pjme has to say.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 19, 2019, 05:24:49 AM
Paganini, Vieuxtemps, Sarasate...all those violin dudes are the same to me   ::) :D.

And yet their music is easily distinguishable from each other.  ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on February 19, 2019, 04:50:59 AM
No moustache and beard for him, either.  :)

Not at the same time (that I can find), but he did have both at various times.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on February 19, 2019, 05:24:49 AM
Paganini, Vieuxtemps, Sarasate...all those violin dudes are the same to me   ::) :D. But yes, Vieuxtemps does seem to fit the bill. Let's see what pjme has to say.  :)
But the photos I see show a fairly shaggy beard.

pjme

Alas no - but with "Paganini" and "Vieuxtemps" you're coming closer. My composer/virtuoso was compared to Paganini and yes, he's Belgian.
Go back to that trio with Mendelssohn and David.....( they performed Beethoven opus 97....in 1844)!