Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draško

Adrien-François Servais

ritter

Draško best me to it!  :)

ritter

Quote from: San Antone on February 19, 2019, 06:26:49 AM
My guess is Ysaye, but I can't find a photo of him sporting facial hair.
Jnless he played with Mendelssohn-Bartholdy using a ouija board, rather unlikely  ;D.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

pjme

Quote from: Draško on February 19, 2019, 06:20:30 AM
Adrien-François Servais
Yes!
Alas the Servais website isn't yet available in English...but it is really well documented. His granddaughter is "the" Misia Sert !
https://www.servais-vzw.org/halle/

Let's hope the Servais villa can be saved:
https://www.youtube.com/v/4awTJEitU1g

Draško

Yeah. I thought it had to be a cellist from the original question. I was thinking Franchomme or maybe Offenbach but neither fit the rest of the description. Only when you said Belgian.

Someone can have my spot setting up, if that's how it works. I don't generally know much about composers' biographies.

Irons

Quote from: Draško on February 19, 2019, 07:22:26 AM

Someone can have my spot setting up, if that's how it works. I don't generally know much about composers' biographies.

You guys fly way above my head :-[.

So getting in where I can! Which work, which was mentioned on this forum in the last week or so, has the heavy brass playing just one note, with the exception of a single trombone which plays two?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Christo

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2019, 06:58:47 AM
Yes!
Alas the Servais website isn't yet available in English...but it is really well documented. His grand daughter is "the" Misia Sert ! https://www.servais-vzw.org/halle
Let's hope the Servais villa can be saved: https://www.youtube.com/v/4awTJEitU1g
Very intriguing & a good reason to pay Halle a visit soon! Many thanks.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Draško on February 19, 2019, 06:20:30 AM
Adrien-François Servais

Who? Never heard about him.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

pjme

Yet I'm sure he will touch the springs of your romantic heart!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/4PUW24Vhfdo

Spring, string.... you know what I mean!

Florestan

Quote from: pjme on February 19, 2019, 10:12:58 AM
Yet I'm sure he will touch the springs of your romantic heart!  :D

https://www.youtube.com/v/4PUW24Vhfdo

Indeed, beautiful music.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 12:45:51 AM
Indeed, beautiful music.
And wonderful to see how his statue dominates the Halle market square:  :)

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2019, 12:55:23 AM
And wonderful to see how his statue dominates the Halle market square:  :)

Yes, a nice perspective. Btw, the statue was deisgned and executed by his son-in-law, a Polish sculptor.

Now, how about Irons' quiz? Any ideas, for I have none.  :)

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 01:00:56 AM

Now, how about Irons' quiz? Any ideas, for I have none.  :)

A Tone-Poem.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 05:38:40 AM
A Tone-Poem.

In which the brass plays just one note save for a trombone which plays two? Hmmm, is there any such beast? I reckon if there is it's certainly not by a German.  :laugh:

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 05:47:31 AM
In which the brass plays just one note save for a trombone which plays two? Hmmm, is there any such beast? I reckon if there is it's certainly not by a German.  :laugh:

You are right not by a German, and before you ask, not by a Brit either. :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 06:15:52 AM
You are right not by a German, and before you ask, not by a Brit either. :laugh:

The Mystery of Time?

Irons

No. Bear in mind I said not by a Brit.

Christo

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 06:35:34 AM
No. Bear in mind I said not by a Brit.
Miloslav Kabeláč is soooo British.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2019, 06:38:51 AM
Miloslav Kabeláč is soooo British.  :D

He's actually Britiš.  :)