Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irons

I don't do smoke and mirrors. ;)
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 07:14:23 AM
I don't do smoke and mirrors. ;)

Is this a new hint?  :)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

pjme

My riddle is much easier...

Quiz!

A well known composer – as described by an equally famous and popular composer.

Here are a few quotes that may help you in identifying him:

"By autumn my meetings with XXX became quite frequent.
I have already said that I had found a striking change in him.
No matter what one might talk about to him about what or what would be the business in hand, he would break away every minute to attend to all sorts of trivial and workaday cares. A rather large watch dog  suplied him with more than a little for these interruptions and everyday bustle. While taking a walk , the concern about the conduct of his dog and his morals, the endeavours to keep him from courting the canine fair sex, went so far that occasionally he carried the hulk in his arms.

All this medley of Christian meekness, backbiting, fondness for beasts, misanthropy, artistic interests, and a triviality worthy of an old maid from a hospice, all were fated to develop into still greater incongruities...."

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 07:16:11 AM
Is this a new hint?  :)

If it isn't by then it is about.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 07:20:12 AM
If it isn't by then it is about.

A symhponic poem about a Brit, then.

Ropartz' La chasse du Prince Arthur?

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 07:22:11 AM
A symhponic poem about a Brit, then.

Ropartz' La chasse du Prince Arthur?

No. Think of the greatest Brit ever.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 07:27:14 AM
No. Think of the greatest Brit ever.

A toss between Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney.

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 07:33:00 AM
A toss between Frank Lampard and Wayne Rooney.

:laugh: :laugh:. At the Hammers we have a song about Frank.

I was more thinking of literary prowess in the great Brits stakes!

Christo

Quote from: pjme on February 20, 2019, 07:17:25 AM
My riddle is much easier...

Quiz!

A well known composer – as described by an equally famous and popular composer.

Here are a few quotes that may help you in identifying him:

"By autumn my meetings with XXX became quite frequent.
I have already said that I had found a striking change in him.
No matter what one might talk about to him about what or what would be the business in hand, he would break away every minute to attend to all sorts of trivial and workaday cares. A rather large watch dog  suplied him with more than a little for these interruptions and everyday bustle. While taking a walk , the concern about the conduct of his dog and his morals, the endeavours to keep him from courting the canine fair sex, went so far that occasionally he carried the hulk in his arms.

All this medley of Christian meekness, backbiting, fondness for beasts, misanthropy, artistic interests, and a triviality worthy of an old maid from a hospice, all were fated to develop into still greater incongruities...."
Rimsky-Korsakov about his tutor, Balakirev. (I saw his St. Petersburg home, now a museum).  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 07:41:29 AM
:laugh: :laugh:. At the Hammers we have a song about Frank.

I was more thinking of literary prowess in the great Brits stakes!

Yeah, I suspected it's all about Shakespeare.

Tchaikovsky's The Tempest?

pjme

Quote from: Christo on February 20, 2019, 08:06:51 AM
Rimsky-Korsakov about his tutor, Balakirev. (I saw his St. Petersburg home, now a museum).  :)

Indeed. And you win the Golden Borscht Award!

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 08:47:07 AM
Yeah, I suspected it's all about Shakespeare.

Tchaikovsky's The Tempest?

No, but nearly there. A work by a composer as famous as Tchaikovsky. When I say "about" I mean Shakespeare himself not one of his plays. I think you will get it now, and well deserved too. By the way, it is a great piece.

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 09:53:27 AM
No, but nearly there. A work by a composer as famous as Tchaikovsky. When I say "about" I mean Shakespeare himself not one of his plays. I think you will get it now, and well deserved too. By the way, it is a great piece.

You mean a tone poem about Shakespeare himself? Otomh I have no idea. No, wait, who wrote the music for Shakespeare in Love:)

Irons

Quote from: Florestan on February 20, 2019, 09:57:41 AM
You mean a tone poem about Shakespeare himself?

That is exactly what I mean. Shakespeare as a word is a bit long-winded though. ;)

ritter

Sibelius's The Bard? Of course, that bard was another bard, but the description of the piece seems to fit the bill (I'm not much of a sibelian, I must confess—-but that must be obvious by now  :-[).

Christo

Quote from: ritter on February 20, 2019, 10:53:40 AM
Sibelius's The Bard? Of course, that bard was another bard
What about Danse macabre, then? 8)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Irons

Quote from: ritter on February 20, 2019, 10:53:40 AM
Sibelius's The Bard? Of course, that bard was another bard, but the description of the piece seems to fit the bill (I'm not much of a sibelian, I must confess—-but that must be obvious by now  :-[).

Yes. The notes with my Gibson recording start by saying - The Bard has no programmatic idea behind it apart from that suggested by the title.

ritter

An easy one: I was for some years in a tempestuous relationship with a noted philosopher, and the later part of my output revolves around one book (one of those books probably more talked about than actually read), but I could not complete this cycle as I died at a relatively young age... So, who am I?

North Star

Quote from: Irons on February 20, 2019, 11:47:32 AM
Yes. The notes with my Gibson recording start by saying - The Bard has no programmatic idea behind it apart from that suggested by the title.

QuoteErik Tawaststjerna thought that the composer was probably inspired by Runeberg's poem The Bard, although the composer himself disputed this. The working title of The Bard was probably Der Ritter und die Najade. The Naiads of course bring to mind The Oceanides.

There may well have been several extra-musical sources of inspiration. Sibelius himself associated it with the world of the Edda and the Ossianic poems and said that the composition was "something like an ancient Scandinavian ballad from the time of the Vikings".
http://www.sibelius.fi/english/musiikki/ork_muita_bardi.htm
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Irons