Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:17:15 AM
Leonard Bernstein's Fancy Free, which served as a basis for the musical On the Town and the subsequent film of the same title?

I first thought of West Side Story but it is not a ballet.

Anyway, should the answer be LB, it would only be more evidence that "les grand esprits se rencontrent".  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Biffo

Bernstein sounds plausible to me.

My first thoughts were Polovtsian Dances, one of several works by Borodin plundered by Robert Wright and George Forrest for the musical and subsequently film Kismet. The 19th century was ruled out early on with Tchaikovsky and the Dances are not a free-standing ballet though first performed as a concert piece.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 02:36:38 AM
I was going to check Wolf but when I saw Zemlinsky had written a serenade I leapt into the fray.

This Serenaden-Fuchs has a most impressive line up of pupils. And no less than the notoriously grumpy Brahms wrote that "Fuchs is a splendid musician, everything is so fine and so skillful, so charmingly invented, that one is always pleased."

ritter

Quote from: Biffo on February 23, 2019, 05:32:22 AM
My first thoughts were Polovtsian Dances, one of several works by Borodin plundered by Robert Wright and George Forrest for the musical and subsequently film Kismet. The 19th century was ruled out early on with Tchaikovsky and the Dances are not a free-standing ballet though first performed as a concert piece.
I was barking up that wrong tree for a while as well...and since I was mixing up  Stranger in Paradise from Kismet with Some Enchanted Evening from South Pacific, I wasn't really getting anywhere.  ::) ;D

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 05:28:28 AM
Your turn.
I am a composer who is very, very famous in a specific genre, but wrote one ballet (that was orchestrated by another prestigious composer),  first performed by a legendary ballet company in the town in which I pursued part of my studies (a town you'll easily identify me with, even if it's not in my home country).

Who am I, and which is my ballet?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:37:11 AM
I am a composer who is very, very famous in a specific genre, but wrote one ballet (that was orchestrated by another prestigious composer),  first performed by a legendary ballet company in the town in which I pursued part of my studies (a town you'll easily identify me with, even if it's not in my home country).

Luis de Góngora would've been proud of writing such lines.  :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 05:42:48 AM
Chopin - Les Sylphides orchestrated by Glazunov?

Les Sylphides is not by Chopin.  He never contemplated, let alone sketched, a ballet. ;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 05:41:16 AM
Luis de Góngora would've been proud of writing such lines.  :laugh:
Thank you....I think  ::)

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 05:42:48 AM
Chopin - Les Sylphides orchestrated by Glazunov? 
Nope. Think closer to home (in a way).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:46:34 AM
Nope. Think closer to home (in a way).

Then something to do with US, one way or another.  :D

ritter

Another hint:

My ballet was first performed on the same evening as the most famous work by a composer who spent some years in exile in my home country...

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 05:47:31 AM
How do you explain this from Wikipeda? "Les Sylphides (French: [le silfid]) is a short, non-narrative ballet blanc. Its original choreography was by Michel Fokine, with music by Frédéric Chopin orchestrated by Alexander Glazunov.

Read the whole article and you'll understand that Chopin himself has got nothing to do with it.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:51:02 AM
Another hint:

My ballet was first performed on the same evening as the most famous work by a composer who spent some years in exile in my home country...

Góngora meets Mallarmé...

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 05:56:05 AM
Góngora meets Mallarmé...
You make me blush... I should write for a living!  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:58:16 AM
You make me blush... I should write for a living;D

Is that what they were doing?  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 06:05:41 AM
I know that - but his music was used.

True, just like Pergolesi's music was used in Pulcinella:)

If I understand ritter correctly, we must look for a composer who did write a ballet of his own, albeit only in un-orchestrated sketches.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 06:08:12 AM
If I understand ritter correctly, we must look for a composer who did write a ballet of his own, albeit only in un-orchestrated sketches.
You understand correctly. The ballet was comissioned, planned and completed as a ballet, but the task of orchestrating it was handed over to another composer (who has an immense list of opus numbers, none of which surprisingly is an original ballet).

Another clue:

The other ballet (by another composer) that was premiered on the same evening as mine, is a prime example of the inclusion of the most typical musical style of my home country in classical music.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on February 23, 2019, 06:10:48 AM
do you have a guess?

Otomh, knowing Rafael's preferences, my hunch is that the ballet was premiered in Paris by the Ballets Russes. If I'm right, the composer is not French and might possibly be associated, albeit in an oblique way, with Stravinsky.  Other than that, no effing idea, as our dear ritter himself would say.  ;D

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 05:37:11 AM
I was barking up that wrong tree for a while as well...and since I was mixing up  Stranger in Paradise from Kismet with Some Enchanted Evening from South Pacific, I wasn't really getting anywhere.  ::) ;D

Who am I, and which is my ballet?

Carl Maria von Weber, his 'ballet' Le Spectre de la Rose was actually a piano piece, Introduction to the Dance, Berlioz orchestrated it for insertion into the Paris production of Der Freischutz. The scenario Le spectre etc was added later by Diaghilev (?) and performed on the same evening as the premiere of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 06:18:30 AM
Otomh, knowing Rafael's preferences, my hunch is that the ballet was premiered in Paris by the Ballets Russes. If I'm right, the composer is not French and might possibly be associated, albeit in an oblique way, with Stravinsky.  Other than that, no effing idea, as our dear ritter himself would say.  ;D

Quote from: Biffo on February 23, 2019, 06:18:58 AM
Carl Maria von Weber, his 'ballet' Le Spectre de la Rose was actually a piano piece, Introduction to the Dance, Berlioz orchestrated it for insertion into the Paris production of Der Freischutz. The scenario Le spectre etc was added later by Diaghilev (?) and performed on the same evening as the premiere of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
It wasn't the Ballets Russes... ;),and Stravinsky has nothing to do with this...

Giveaway clue: I love the city where my ballet was performed... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on February 23, 2019, 06:22:14 AM
It wasn't the Ballets Russes... ;),and Stravinsky has nothing to do with thus...

Giveaway clue: I love the city where my ballet was performed... ;D

A South American composer?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 06:24:28 AM
A South American composer?
No, not South American...

I insist: "I love the city where my ballet was performed"