Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on February 23, 2019, 08:51:12 AM
Wild guess: Enescu
Wild guess: Futwangler
Wild guess: Bruno Walter

None of the above, but they all had something in common with my man. Giveaway hint: he was the fellow countryman of one of the above.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 08:56:36 AM
None of the above, but they all had something in common with my man. Giveaway hint: he was the fellow countryman of one of the above.
Silvestri.

Florestan

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2019, 09:48:03 AM
Yep. Your turn. Hit us hard and deep.  :)
I played one of the world's most played instruments, but was one of only of a very few famous virtuosi. I commissioned numerous pieces including concerti. My early recordings were produced by a man who later became famous for working with a well known quartet. I was interned in WW2, and later made an MBE. I recorded original works by RVW, HVL, and Malcolm Arnold.

Biffo

The initial thought is Larry Adler but only Tommy Reilly MBE fits all the criteria. He was interned in Germany during WW2.

Ken B

Quote from: Biffo on February 24, 2019, 01:32:30 AM
The initial thought is Larry Adler but only Tommy Reilly MBE fits all the criteria. He was interned in Germany during WW2.

Bingo. Born in Guelph, Canada, my home town. Harmonica player.
Your turn.

North Star

Quote from: San Antone on February 24, 2019, 05:54:33 AM
I had no idea that RVW, HVL, and Malcolm Arnold wrote works for the harmonica. Who is HVL anyway?

:o
Heitor Villa-Lobos. I knew the Vaughan Williams piece, and like it quite a bit. I think I'll need to listen to the V-L.

https://www.youtube.com/v/Wt2QrXA3A6I
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on February 24, 2019, 05:54:33 AM
I had no idea that RVW, HVL, and Malcolm Arnold wrote works for the harmonica. Who is HVL anyway?

:o

RVW wrote his Romance for Harmonica, Strings and Piano for Larry Adler but I only have it played by Tommy Reilly (with Marriner/ASMF).

Now need to think of a new puzzle.

Ken B

Incidentally, the producer in the hint was George Martin. You can guess the quartet ;)

Biffo

This 20th composer studied in Leipzig, Vienna and Paris, feeling a strong affinity with Paris. He toured extensively as a virtuoso pianist including North Africa where his piano was transported by camels. He eventually returned to his native land where he wrote music of a nationalistic or folk idiom.

North Star

Quote from: Biffo on February 24, 2019, 06:29:25 AM
RVW wrote his Romance for Harmonica, Strings and Piano for Larry Adler but I only have it played by Tommy Reilly (with Marriner/ASMF).

Now need to think of a new puzzle.
It seems I have Adler's recording with Sargent in the EMI big box as well as a twofer.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Biffo

My quiz offering seems to have gone down like a lead balloon, possibly because it is too vague. I wanted to add more yesterday but a Microsoft 'update' put my PC out of action for most of the day. Here is a bit more.

While studying in Leipzig he was, to his irritation, frequently compared to his native country's most famous composer who had studied there in the 19th century. Later he performed this composer frequently and did a great deal of study of his works.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on February 26, 2019, 12:43:30 AM
My quiz offering seems to have gone down like a lead balloon, possibly because it is too vague. I wanted to add more yesterday but a Microsoft 'update' put my PC out of action for most of the day. Here is a bit more.

While studying in Leipzig he was, to his irritation, frequently compared to his native country's most famous composer who had studied there in the 19th century. Later he performed this composer frequently and did a great deal of study of his works.

A Scandinavian?

Biffo

Florestan

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on February 26, 2019, 03:25:09 AM
Geir Tveitt?
I hope you are right, because the only composer I am sure studied in Leipzig was Grieg.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 26, 2019, 03:45:05 AM
I hope you are right, because the only composer I am sure studied in Leipzig was Grieg.

That was my line of reasoning too.  :)

Biffo

Biffo

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 26, 2019, 03:45:05 AM

Leipzig has an impressive list of alumni -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Music_and_Theatre_Leipzig#Notable_alumni

Florestan

After a quite successful dress rehearsal, all further performances of this opera were unexpectedly banned by the head of that state. Name it.