Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on February 27, 2019, 04:57:43 AM
I suppose that by "a different branch of music" you mean "not classical", because if his music does indeed belong to "classical" he must be the best kept secret of Austrian / Viennese music.  ;D

EDIT: Finally got him! Ludwig Minkus! I had no effing idea he was a Viennese.

Correct again! Minkus was born and died in Vienna but made his reputation as a composer of ballet in St Petersburg. WW1 cut off his pension and royalties from Russia and he died in poverty.

Florestan

Well, it appears to be my turn, so...

These two composers are considered as belonging to the same artistic movement, although they never met and there are very few, if any, similarities between their works. One such is that they both wrote at the same age a work for the same forces, bearing the same opus number. Who are they and what are the works?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

BUMP!

Quote from: Florestan on February 27, 2019, 05:43:29 AM
These two composers are considered as belonging to the same artistic movement, although they never met and there are very few, if any, similarities between their works. One such is that they both wrote at the same age a work for the same forces, bearing the same opus number. Who are they and what are the works?

Hint:

Biffo

'belonged to the same artistic movement'

All I could think of was serialism and I didn't  get very far with it - too much scope. It did prompt me to listen to Berg's Violin Concerto (Daniel Hope soloist).

After the HINT the answer still eludes me.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 04:03:48 AM
The hint looks to me like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, which had a song composed by Johnny Marks.  So is one of the composers Joseph Marx?  Joseph Marx coined the term "atonality," an I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Joseph Marx and Richard Welz both wrote a work called Gesang des Lebens.

Is any of this even close?

Nope, not even close.  :)

The hint is in the name, not in the character.

Florestan

Actually, you're not even close to the composers in question, but by nominating Joseph Marx and Richard Wetz you got it right in one respect.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 04:13:31 AM
So, one of the composers is named Rudolph?

No, but the works in question are the same as another one related to a Rudolph. There, I gave them away.  :)

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 04:33:33 AM
Do the composers/works have anything to do with the set of variations based on the tune of Anton Diabelli of which the Diabelli Variations was part?

No, but in naming those variations you come very close to the work related to a Rudolph I alluded to.

Biffo

I am guessing the Rudolph is the Archduke Rudolph, dedicatee of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. Plenty of other composers have written a Missa solemins (or Messe solenelle), the tedious bit is matching two of them.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 02, 2019, 04:48:03 AM
I am guessing the Rudolph is the Archduke Rudolph, dedicatee of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis. Plenty of other composers have written a Missa solemins (or Messe solenelle), the tedious bit is matching two of them.

Hot, burning hot. He was the dedicatee of many Beethoven's works, not just MS. Actually, the one in question bears direct testimony to him (or rather, to his position).

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 04:54:11 AM
Must be the Archduke trio.

Yes.

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 04:55:05 AM
So just find another piano trio op 97 and you have your second composer.

No.

Remember what I wrote:

Quote from: Florestan on March 02, 2019, 04:16:13 AM
the works in question are the same as another one related to a Rudolph.

Hint: ask your heart and you'll instantly got half of the answer.

EDIT: I mean "the same" as in the same forces. Sorry for my possibly bad English.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:02:51 AM
This is what you wrote:

Now you say they do not share the same op. number.  ???

No, see my edit above and excuse my English, it's not my native language.

What I mean is that the works do share the same opus number and they are written for the same forces as the Archduke-trio. In short, look for two piano trios. And again: look in your heart.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:11:14 AM
Both Brahms and Shostakovich wrote piano trios op. 8 - but "part of the same movement?"  I will keep looking.

You're almost there. It's not Shostakovich but it starts similarly.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:13:56 AM
Brahms & Reicha both wrote op. 101 piano trios.

At the same age? And are they both considered as belonging to the same movement?

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:18:02 AM
Yeah, I didn't confirm those things ...

Look, I have just googled it and the second link listed is the other half of the answer. You're so close, so close...

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:21:10 AM
Okay my last guess: Brahms was 20 when he composed his op. 8 and Pfitzer was 20 (depending on the month) when he at least began his op. 8 piano trio.

I had no idea about that, but it's not Pfitzner.

Connect these dots:

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:11:14 AM
Both Brahms and Shostakovich wrote piano trios op. 8 - but "part of the same movement?"  I will keep looking.

Quote from: Florestan on March 02, 2019, 05:11:54 AM
You're almost there. It's not Shostakovich but it starts similarly.  ;)

Quote from: Florestan on March 02, 2019, 05:20:04 AM
Look, I have just googled it and the second link listed is the other half of the answer. You're so close, so close...

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:32:05 AM
Okay must be Brahms and Chopin  - so, Sho and Cho are similar ...

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:43:42 AM
Pfhew ...  :-[

Here's my challenge question:

This composer was not French but studied and lived there, and where he wrote most of his music.  Had he not died so young, he might have gone on to become one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.  At least that was the kind of thing that was said at the time of his death.  His most famous work is a chamber piece. 

Who is he and name the work?

Otomh: Lekeu and his Violin Sonata?

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:47:24 AM
My gosh.  That was quick. 

Well, earlier today Andre posted something about it, so I took my chance on that.  :D

Great work. I also love his Piano Trio. Indeed, one of the greatest would-be in the history of Western music.

I suppose I should try to come up with harder questions ...   >:(   ;D  :laugh:

By all means, please do! AfaIc, it's still your turn. :D

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 07:38:08 AM
Well, if you insist:

This composer could not devote much of his time to music since he had a demanding career which involved constant travel, but he did manage to write music of distinction and is well respected.  He considered chamber music to be his strong suit but his one acknowledged masterpiece is in a different genre altogether.  Some of his later works exhibit influences from his wide ranging exposure to foreign cultures due to his extensive world traveling.

Who is he and what is his masterpiece?

Is it Jean Cras? He fitted in composing with his career as an officer in the French Navy during which he travelled extensively. His opera Polypheme might be his masterpiece though I haven't heard it; I do have recordings of some of his chamber and orchestral works.