Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 05:43:42 AM
Pfhew ...  :-[

Here's my challenge question:

This composer was not French but studied and lived there, and where he wrote most of his music.  Had he not died so young, he might have gone on to become one of the greatest composers of the 20th century.  At least that was the kind of thing that was said at the time of his death.  His most famous work is a chamber piece. 

Who is he and name the work?
Lekeu

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 02, 2019, 07:38:08 AM
Well, if you insist:

This composer could not devote much of his time to music since he had a demanding career which involved constant travel, but he did manage to write music of distinction and is well respected.  He considered chamber music to be his strong suit but his one acknowledged masterpiece is in a different genre altogether.  Some of his later works exhibit influences from his wide ranging exposure to foreign cultures due to his extensive world traveling.

Who is he and what is his masterpiece?

Roussell. Ariadne or the last 2 symphonies.

Biffo

Three composers set the same war poem by this poet. Composers 1 and 2 were close friends. Composer 1 and 3 set another war poem by the same poet. Composer 2 wrote an orchestral work in honour of the poet. Name the poet (dead easy, probably), composers 1 - 3 and the poems/works in question.

Ken B

Quote from: Biffo on March 03, 2019, 04:17:07 AM
Three composers set the same war poem by this poet. Composers 1 and 2 were close friends. Composer 1 and 3 set another war poem by the same poet. Composer 2 wrote an orchestral work in honour of the poet. Name the poet (dead easy, probably), composers 1 - 3 and the poems/works in question.
Wilfred Owen

Biffo

ritter

Quote from: Biffo on March 03, 2019, 06:24:25 AM
No, a different war
So that rulesout Siegfried Sassoon (and composers Rootham and Bliss), I suppose...

Ken B

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on March 03, 2019, 06:26:56 AM
So that rulesout Siegfried Sassoon (and composers Rootham and Bliss), I suppose...

Yes, all those...see below

Biffo

Christo

Dirge for Two Veterans from Drum-Taps (1865, American Civil War) by Walt Whitman.
The two close friends are Ralph Vaughan Williams (Dona Nobis Pacem, 1936) and Gustav [von] Holst (A Dirge for Two Veterans, 1914); the third composer is Kurt Weill. Gustav Holst's Walt Whitman Overture and 1919 setting of Whitman's Ode to Death, Kurt Weill with his Four Walt Whitman Songs from 1942.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: Christo on March 03, 2019, 06:54:02 AM
Dirge for Two Veterans from Drum-Taps (1865, American Civil War) by Walt Whitman.
The two close friends are Ralph Vaughan Williams (Dona Nobis Pacem, 1936) and Gustav [von] Holst (A Dirge for Two Veterans, 1914); the third composer is Kurt Weill. Gustav Holst's Walt Whitman Overture and 1919 setting of Whitman's Ode to Death, Kurt Weill with his Four Walt Whitman Songs from 1942.

Spot on! The Walt Whitman Overture is the work I was looking for but the Ode to Death is a bonus

Holst and RVW wrote the Dirge in a friendly competition, RVW later incorporated it into Dona nobis pacem.

Your turn.

Christo

OK. This Dutch Baroque composer's music is heard in three rather famous movies (I saw them all & love them). Yet, he's a creation by the film director and the music was composed by a compatriot of the filmmaker. Name both composers.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 03, 2019, 08:36:37 AM
OK. This Dutch Baroque composer's music is heard in three rather famous movies (I saw them all & love them). Yet, he's a creation by the film director and the music was composed by a compatriot of the filmmaker. Name both composers.

You mean the Baroque composer is fictional, right?

Van den Budenmayer, Zbigniew Preisner. The director is of course Krzysztof Kieślowski.  ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 03, 2019, 08:44:49 AMYou mean the Baroque composer is fictional, right?

Van den Budenmayer, Zbigniew Preisner. The director is of course Krzysztof Kieślowski.  ;D
Not only is he fictional, the fictional name borders on the absurd: Van [with capital = Belgian] den [probably German, but after 'van den' = "stemming from", ones expects a place name, a very common type of family names in Dutch] Budenmayer [can only be German, but is not a place name]. Zbigniew Preisner & Krzysztof Kieślowski (one of the very best after Tarkovsky) are both correct - your turn.  ;D

Ken B

Since it's Florestan setting the next one, let me get my guesses in early

Alexandrescu
Barbu
Lipatti
Celibidache
Constantinescu
Kirkilescu
Enescu

JBS

Quote from: Christo on March 03, 2019, 06:54:02 AM

I will propose a side question while waiting for Florestan...Holst was one of eight composers up to now who have set Whitman's When Lilacs Last Bloomed...  in whole or in part.  Can you name the other seven without consulting Wikipedia?
Only one of the seven is a composer who may be unknown to most GMGers. The most recent one dates from 2004.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

springrite

Quote from: Ken B on March 03, 2019, 12:02:07 PM
Since it's Florestan setting the next one, let me get my guesses in early

Alexandrescu
Barbu
Lipatti
Celibidache
Constantinescu
Kirkilescu
Enescu
I'd venture to guess Ciprian Porumbescu instead!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Jo498

Hindemith is the only one I know of. So 4 to go.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

This highly prolific composer and pianist was a pupil of Faure and d'Indy. He wrote 11 symphonies, 13 sinfoniettas and 3 chamber symphonies. One of his works deals with a subject which, according to Wikipedia, was tackled by no less than 17 other composers, last time in 2015. Who is he and what is the work?

Florestan