Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Mihail Andricu (1894-1974) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihail_Andricu
(but I didn't know him yet, had to google)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 12:44:06 AM
Mihail Andricu (1894-1974) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mihail_Andricu
(but I didn't know him yet, had to google)

I could have bet on it, but hey, I googled your Van den Biedermeyer as well, so we're even now.  :D

And besides, googling is allowed, see the OP.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

OK. Not only was he not the bishop of Rome, this very prolific composer never visited Italy and his compositions don't show Italian influences. He's best known for his polyphonic, typically 'Protestant' settings of all 150 Psalms in the Dutch vernacular, making use of all kinds of popular melodies and meant to be sung by the common people, also at home. Who's this contemporary of the last 'European emperor' - he will have met him in person -, living and working in a world that was both Protestant and Catholic?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 03:18:13 AM
OK. Not only was he not the bishop of Rome, this very prolific composer never visited Italy and his compositions don't show Italian influences. He's best known for his polyphonic, typically 'Protestant' settings of all 150 Psalms in the Dutch vernacular, making use of all kinds of popular melodies and meant to be sung by the common people, also at home. Who's this contemporary of the last 'European emperor', living and working in a world that was both Protestant and Catholic?

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck?

Christo

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 03:18:13 AM
contemporary of the last 'European emperor'

Ah, second hallf of the 19th century then. Let the hunt begin.  :D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 03:23:58 AM
Ah, second hallf of the 19th century then. Let the hunt begin.  :D
Renaissance & long before Sweelinck. A usurpator is not an emperor.  8)

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 03:29:06 AM
I wonder: why did you start off by talking about Italy, even throwing in a reference to the Pope, if this composer has no connection to that country?  Does his name sound Italian?
Very good questions indeed!

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 03:29:06 AM
I wonder: why did you start off by talking about Italy, even throwing in a reference to the Pope, if this composer has no connection to that country?  Does his name sound Italian?

Clemens Non Papa!

But hey, the "last European Emperor" might apply to Charles V as well as Franz Joseph I, not an usurpator but a very legitimate emperor.  :D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 03:31:42 AM
Clemens Non Papa!

But hey, the "last European Emperor" might apply to Charles V as well as Franz Joseph I, not an usurpator but a very legitimate emperor.  :D
Correct, and: not so correct. From a neerlandocentric perspective on Europe, this Franz Joseph is small beer, hardly relevant to us... Besides, Charles V was a Dutchman.  8) Your turn.

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 03:39:12 AM
.. Besides, Charles V was a Dutchman.  8) Your turn.
Carlos I de España y V de Alemania. .. Half Spanish, mind you.  ;)

NikF4

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 03:34:26 AM
Correct, and: not so correct. From a neerlandocentric perspective on Europe, this Franz Joseph is small beer, hardly relevant to us..  8)

You are probably the only person on this planet to have a "neerlandocentric perspective on Europe" --- which is all the more hilarious since by your own admission you're a Saxon (and a Low one, for that matter), not a Dutch. I'm not sure, though, that moving the goalposts is a genuine neerlandic cultural trait. "Hardly relevant" is not the same as "usurpator". The former applies to basically all kings of The Netherlands past and present, the latter describes Napoleon I and Napoleon III, not Franz Joseph.   ;D

QuoteYour turn.

This composer started his musical career as a piano child prodigy. At 16 he went on to pursue his musical studies abroad, in a city not exactly famous for its piano school. He continued to perform in concerts in various countries. He became momentarily famous after winning a composition competition sponsored by a notorious mass medium. He eventually returned to his native country where he held an important teaching position and was also involved in a field unrelated to music.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 03:39:12 AM
Charles V was a Dutchman.

Incorrect. By his parents he was half Flemish, half Spanish. By his ancestors, he also had German, French and Portuguese blood.

He famously said  "I speak Latin to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse". No mention is made of Dutch.  ;D

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 04:30:57 AM
being born and bred in Gent qualifies him as a Dutchman.  8)

Maurice Maeterlinck was born and bred in Ghent. Is he a Dutchman too?

Re 2: Dinu Lipatti

Nope.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:15:21 AM
Incorrect. By his parents he was half Flemish, half Spanish. By his ancestors, he also had German, French and Portuguese blood.

He famously said  "I speak Latin to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to my Horse". No mention is made of Dutch.  ;D
"German" is your mistranslation for Dutch (his mother tongue, together with French). And unlike you  ;D we don't use an ethnic definition of Dutchness; being born and bred in Gent qualifies him as a Dutchman.  8)

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:02:17 AM
You are probably the only person on this planet to have a "neerlandocentric perspective on Europe" --- which is all the more hilarious since by your own admission you're a Saxon (and a Low one, for that matter), not a Dutch. I'm not sure, though, that moving the goalposts is a genuine neerlandic cultural trait. "Hardly relevant" is not the same as "usurpator". The former applies to basically all kings of The Netherlands past and present, the latter describes Napoleon I and Napoleon III, not Franz Joseph.   ;D

This composer started his musical career as a piano child prodigy. At 16 he went on to pursue his musical studies abroad, in a city not exactly famous for its piano school. He continued to perform in concerts in various countries. He became momentarily famous after winning a composition competition sponsored by a notorious mass medium. He eventually returned to his native country where he held an important teaching position and was also involved in a field unrelated to music.
Re 1: You're mistaken, I'm absolutely very Dutch, as a Low Saxon (but definitely not from Holland, nor is the 'Dutch' language my mother tongue). As to the Dutch kings since 1806: you're correct in assuming they're no kings, but a Napoleonic creation (the first and second kings were actually Napoleon's brother and nephew); the Netherlands being a Republic since 1572, but with hereditary stadtholders now called "kings" for international use (otherwise you wouldn't get it, being used as you are to German loan monarchs). ::) The present 'king', Willem-Alexander, is still a direct descendant not only of these Nassaus, but also of the counts of Holland (i.e. NOT the Netherlands, just Holland) of the Middle Ages. Of course, the real Dutch monarchal tradition is that of the Roman Empire and its emperors, from the first Charles til 1648 (and parts of the Netherlands til 1806 and even 1809).  ;D
Re 2: Dinu Lipatti

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:35:25 AMMaurice Maeterlinck was born and bred in Ghent. Is he a Dutchman too?
Of course he does, in the sense of the Netherlands as a whole (I can't help you're making use of these odd concepts like "Dutch" (Deutsch) to describe the people and language of the Netherlands.  :o

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 04:41:12 AM
the real Dutch monarchal tradition is that of the Roman Empire and its emperors, from the first Charles til 1648 (and parts of the Netherlands til 1806 and even 1809).  ;D

I'm sure you can find a connection with the royal house of David too.

No, really, I thought your "neerlandocentrism" was just a joke but now I see it's for real. It's good to know, that will spare a lot of my time.

Of course he does, in the sense of the Netherlands as a whole (I can't help you're making use of these odd concepts like "Dutch" (Deutsch) to describe the people and language of the Netherlands.  :o

Quote from: Merriam-Webster
Definition of dutchman

1 capitalized a archaic : a member of any of the Germanic peoples of Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and the Low Countries
b : a native or inhabitant of the Netherlands
c : a person of Dutch descent
d : german sense 2a

2 : a device for hiding or counteracting structural defects

I can't help you're making use of the archaic concept of Dutch, one which would make Brahms, Mozart and Othmar Schoeck Dutch as well.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 04:41:12 AM
"German" is your mistranslation for Dutch (his mother tongue, together with French).

It's not mine, but anyway if it were so, this would hardly help your case, as it shows that apparently Charles V regarded the Dutch language as little more than mere braying.  ;D

Florestan

Okay, enough history, linguistics and ethnology, real or fictional, at least from my part. Let's get back on topic.

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:02:17 AM

Not Lipatti.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:55:43 AM
No, really, I thought your "neerlandocentrism" was just a joke
Of course it is; happily you're never seriously pretending there's such a thing as a Romanian either.  :laugh:
Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:55:43 AM
I can't help you're making use of the archaic concept of Dutch, one which would make Brahms, Mozart and Othmar Schoeck Dutch as well.
Of course not, 'the Netherlands' referring only to the present day BeNeLux territories (roughly speaking, and those parts of Northern France that belonged to the 'Seventeen Netherlands' in the Early Modern Era). That "Dutch" is confusingly used as sometimes referring to these 17 historical Netherlands, sometimes to the Northern republic only, depending of the specific historical contest, is something we have to live with. In any case: "Flemish" is an anachronism and not used in this historical context; you won't refer to historical Transylvania as a "Romanian land", will you?  8)

Re the composer: Atterberg?