Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 04:02:17 AM

This composer started his musical career as a piano child prodigy. At 16 he went on to pursue his musical studies abroad, in a city not exactly famous for its piano school. He continued to perform in concerts in various countries. He became momentarily famous after winning a composition competition sponsored by a notorious mass medium. He eventually returned to his native country where he held an important teaching position and was also involved in a field unrelated to music.
Henrique Oswald

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 04, 2019, 05:29:53 AM
Henrique Oswald

You remembered him form the composers's pictures thread, right?  :)

Your turn.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 05:52:26 AM
You remembered him form the composers's pictures thread, right?  :)

Your turn.
Indeed...I try to learn and remember.

OK, let's see (again, very easy):

This composer left his home country and studied in leading European musical centres. When he had settled in a major city, he was accused of espionage by his home country, kidnapped, set on trial and sentenced to life in prison. The international outcry was huge (the petition that was signed reads like an international "who's who" of music at the time), that he was released after two years, returned to his city of choice and never visited his homeland again (can't blame him for that, can we?  ;)).

So, who is he?

Florestan

ritter

Told you it was easy...

Back to you, Sir!

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 12:29:11 AM
You probably meant Kirculescu.  ;)

Damned auto-correct.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 06:57:33 AM
Damned auto-correct.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I never use it, more often than not it's dead wrong.   :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 04, 2019, 06:56:25 AM
Told you it was easy...

Back to you, Sir!

I was court musician for three consecutive monarchs. I wrote the first treatise on "classical" music ever published in that country (not my native one) and composed the first works ever to incorporate elements of that country's traditional music. Who am I and what's the country?

Christo

Is the country Tsarist Russia?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on March 03, 2019, 11:03:50 PM
Hindemith is the only one I know of. So 4 to go.

If I remember correctly, you have at least one of the other settings in your collection as part of a Wergo set of the composer's symphonies.

I will give a clue to the one composer least known at GMG (or more precisely, least mentions that I have seen on GMG).  Two of his works appear in the Sony Black Composers set, although the setting of Lilacs is not one of them.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 08:21:41 AM
Oh, that must be George Walker.  I read up on him when I was listening to his recording of the Liszt sonata and then he died recently and NPR did a feature on him.

Correct. The setting actually won the Pulitzer Prize. 
BTW, if you know the Sessions, you might actually know one of the others.  It's part of a song cycle for soprano and amplified piano.

And a clue to the last composer, actually the first one chronologically.  RVW and Holst were among his pupils.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 07:58:30 AM
Is the country Tsarist Russia?  ::)

No. It has some things in common with it, though.

Jo498

Quote from: JBS on March 04, 2019, 08:01:54 AM
If I remember correctly, you have at least one of the other settings in your collection as part of a Wergo set of the composer's symphonies.
Now it is somewhat creepy that you know my shelves better than I do myself, but I get it:
K.A. Hartmann, 1st Symphony, "Versuch eines Requiems nach Worten von Walt Whitman" (1936, last revisions 1950)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on March 04, 2019, 08:49:42 AM
Now it is somewhat creepy that you know my shelves better than I do myself, but I get it:
K.A. Hartmann, 1st Symphony, "Versuch eines Requiems nach Worten von Walt Whitman" (1936, last revisions 1950)

No, I just remember that you've talked about it before!

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on March 03, 2019, 05:19:48 PM
I will propose a side question while waiting for Florestan...Holst was one of eight composers up to now who have set Whitman's When Lilacs Last Bloomed...  in whole or in part.  Can you name the other seven without consulting Wikipedia?
Only one of the seven is a composer who may be unknown to most GMGers. The most recent one dates from 2004.

Ned Rorem made a Whitman setting but I can't remember what - it is on the same album as the Weill settings in my quixz question  - Songs of War.

Jo498

Maybe I wrote about the box, but I am not even sure I listened to that piece more than once. I have a recollection of some of the other Hartmann symphonies but not the one with singing.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

JBS

Quote from: Biffo on March 04, 2019, 09:11:52 AM
Ned Rorem made a Whitman setting but I can't remember what - it is on the same album as the Weill settings in my quixz question  - Songs of War.

Is the Rorem you are thinking of part of this?
https://songofamerica.net/song/five-poems-of-walt-whitman/#

He's not one of the answers to this question.  Of the remaining two, one is from the  19th century British Isles and the other is 20th century American.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 04, 2019, 08:31:34 AM
No. It has some things in common with it, though.
Teodorico Pedrini (1671–1746), working in Beijing in the services of the Kangxi Emperor (1662–1722), the Yongzheng Emperor (1722–1735), and the Qianlong Emperor (1735–1796).

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 09:29:12 AM
When he wrote about Rorem he also mentioned Weill - and then I checked because I remembered that a bit of the poem was spoken in Street Scene, and a song followed loosely based on it.  Does that count?

No, the connection there seemed too loose.

The setting in question, as I said, was for soprano and amplified piano.  The instrument might give you a clue even if you have never heard the setting.