Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 03:48:00 PM
No you are right that our dating of Josquin des Prez was incorrect and we now place him about a decade later than had been thought (because of the mix up with the other Josquin).  The subject of my question, a composer who we assumed had been influenced by Josquin, we now think it was actually the other way around.
Ah.
Hmmm.
I don't know the dating changes etc, but from the clue it needs to be a heavy hitter from around Josquin's demise. I only know a few of those.
Gombert? He's my first thought. Or Pierre de la rue?

Other guesses: Isaac? Brumel?

JBS

Jean Mouton?  Loyset Compere?

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

JBS

Quote from: San Antone on March 04, 2019, 04:04:54 PM
You are half right.   ;)

If it's one of those two, I would go for Compere, as being not as well known and better fitting the description "older contemporary" of JdP.

JBS

Okay, this one should be easy.

I am a moderately well known composer, but if you mention my name to most people they would associate it with  smiling milk maids, schoolboys in lederhosen, and similar figures.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on March 04, 2019, 04:23:22 PM
Okay, this one should be easy.

I am a moderately well known composer, but if you mention my name to most people they would associate it with  smiling milk maids, schoolboys in lederhosen, and similar figures.
Goldmark.

Added: Kalman.

JBS

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 05:14:38 PM
Goldmark.

Added: Kalman.

Not even close.
Okay.  Goldmark was 7 when the mystery composer died. Goldmark and Kalman were koniglich, the mystery composer was kaiserlich.
And the last word of my original question is itself a clue.

Ken B

Quote from: JBS on March 04, 2019, 06:22:02 PM
Not even close.
Okay.  Goldmark was 7 when the mystery composer died. Goldmark and Kalman were koniglich, the mystery composer was kaiserlich.
And the last word of my original question is itself a clue.
Ha!
Hummel.

JBS

Ken B

Moderate on the difficulty scale.

I was a professor of music. My students include two famous conductors, both famous for their conducting and also well known for their sexual exploits, one scandalously so. I wrote a lot of music, including seven symphonies but am more well known for choral music. I too studied in  Leipzig, like so many GMG quizzes did, and as an undergraduate at a famous university I was 65 out of 66 in my class. I was not born in England but spent most of my career there.  I am an Anglican.

Christo

Quote from: Ken B on March 04, 2019, 07:14:29 PM
Moderate on the difficulty scale.

I was a professor of music. My students include two famous conductors, both famous for their conducting and also well known for their sexual exploits, one scandalously so. I wrote a lot of music, including seven symphonies but am more well known for choral music. I too studied in  Leipzig, like so many GMG quizzes did, and as an undergraduate at a famous university I was 65 out of 66 in my class. I was not born in England but spent most of my career there.  I am an Anglican.
At first sight: Stanford?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: JBS on March 04, 2019, 09:24:18 AM
Is the Rorem you are thinking of part of this?
https://songofamerica.net/song/five-poems-of-walt-whitman/#

He's not one of the answers to this question.  Of the remaining two, one is from the  19th century British Isles and the other is 20th century American.

Now that I am back at home I can answer your question. The Rorem piece I was thinking of was An incident from War Scenes. It is on the album Songs of War from Simon Keenlyside and Malcolm Martineau.

As an aside, Reconciliation from the  work in your link was also set by Vaughan Williams in Dona nobis pacem. I will have to see if I can find the Five poems etc on Spotify.

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on March 04, 2019, 09:34:25 PM
At first sight: Stanford?
Damn you guys are good. Charles Villiers Stanford.
Conductors: Stokowski (had an affair with Garbo), Goosens (adultery scandal)

Christo

Quote from: Ken B on March 05, 2019, 06:41:54 AM
Damn you guys are good. Charles Villiers Stanford.
Conductors: Stokowski (had an affair with Garbo), Goosens (adultery scandal)
Many thanks; knew about Goossens and met Stanford's antecedents when in Dublin, a couple of years ago; have his seven symphonies of course (he's the teacher of RVW and Holst).  ;)

OK. This composer taught a young composer who was named after the first composer's country of origin. Name both.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 05, 2019, 07:00:20 AM

OK. This composer taught a young composer who was named after the first composer's country of origin. Name both.
Composer Vincenzo Ferroni (1858 -1934 ) was the teacher of composer Italo Montrmezzi at the Milan Conservatory. ..

But something tells me these aren't  the blokes you're looking for. .. ;)

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on March 05, 2019, 07:00:20 AM
Many thanks; new about Goossens, and met Stanford's antecedents when in Dublin, a couple of years ago; have his seven symphonies of course (he's the teacher of RVW and Holst).  ;)

Perhaps Donald Swann was born in Flanders?  ;)
Don't give a hint yet, I am just joking.

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 05, 2019, 07:12:24 AM
Composer Vincenzo Ferroni (1858 -1934 ) was the teacher of composer Italo Montrmezzi at the Milan Conservatory. ..
But something tells me these aren't  the blokes you're looking for. .. ;)
Correct #notcorrect  ;D The pupil's second name is actually identical to the teacher's country of origin.  ::)

Quote from: Ken B on March 05, 2019, 07:12:56 AMPerhaps Donald Swann was born in Flanders?  ;)  Don't give a hint yet, I am just joking.
:D (had to google the joke; they're no household names at this side of the pond).

Jo498

Stanford and Ireland
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

Quote from: Jo498 on March 05, 2019, 07:21:49 AM
Stanford and Ireland
Knew I could count on you! Your turn.  ;D
(BTW thought it was funny that Ken B didn't recognize 'his own' composer.  8)

Jo498

This was so close to the question before that it was comparably easy.

Which composer anticipated both 4'33 and a notorious movie scene featuring Meg Ryan? Name the composer and the two pieces!
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 05, 2019, 07:39:27 AM
Alphonse Allais,  Funeral March for the Obsequies of a Deaf Man?  But I have no idea of the second answer.

Must be something related to the (in)famous Meg Ryan orgasm in a restaurant.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini