Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

I confess to missing some of these jokes completely. I had to google.  Based on my experience it never occurred to me you could get a recording of a woman's orgasm onto just one side of an LP ...

8) :laugh:

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 05, 2019, 09:48:09 AM
Good idea. The composer under question was born in what can be considered the last remnant of your favourite empire, the Holy Roman, where his (his!) father worked in the service of the monarch. However, he spent much of his life in a kingdom not far away, which had more opportunities to offer for his - very succesful - musical career, also in the service of the monarch.*) After WWII his remnants were reburied in the capital of his country of origin. He composed operas, symphonies, concertos and chamber music, but is probably best known for his masses, other choral works and also organ music.  ::)

*) On my cd shelves he's classified under his country of origin of which he can be considered the 'national composer' :D

He has been already nominated before - Josef Gabriel Rheinberger, a native of Liechtenstein, composer of some of the most beautiful chamber music I've ever heard.  8)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 05, 2019, 09:50:58 AM
I confess to missing some of these jokes completely. I had to google.  Based on my experience it never occurred to me you could get a recording of a woman's orgasm onto just one side of an LP ...

8) :laugh:

Which reminds me: when was the last time you checked your sex life thread?  ;D

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:28:03 AM
He has been already nominated before - Josef Gabriel Rheinberger8)
Liechtenstein (only surviving princedom of the HRR), represented on my shelves by composers Rheinberger, Marco Schädler, Jürg Hanselmann and Matthias Frommelt (performed by the Liechtenstein SO).  8) Your turn.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

A very easy one.

This composer and instrumentist was prompted to follow a musical career after hearing, in his native city, a recital of another composer and instrumentist from a different country. He even got a letter of recommendation to study with the latter, but the whole thing came to nothing. His (quiet and withdrawn) life was spent alternately in two cities and although he was, according to the unanimous testimonies of those who have heard him playing, a first class virtuoso, he never played his music in public. He is best remembered for one work, composed for his own instrument and inspired by a fellow countryman poet.

Who is he?

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on March 05, 2019, 07:22:20 AM

(BTW thought it was funny that Ken B didn't recognize 'his own' composer.  8)
*thumbs desperately through the Faber Big Book Of Excuses*
I was thrown off thinking about that not very well composer James Northern Ireland.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM
A very easy one.

This composer and instrumentist was prompted to follow a musical career after hearing, in his native city, a recital of another composer and instrumentist from a different country. He even got a letter of recommendation to study with the latter, but the whole thing came to nothing. His (quiet and withdrawn) life was spent alternately in two cities and although he was, according to the unanimous testimonies of those who have heard him playing, a first class virtuoso, he never played his music in public. He is best remembered for one work, composed for his own instrument and inspired by a fellow countryman poet.

Who is he?

J s Bach

Florestan

Christo

Quote from: Ken B on March 05, 2019, 11:38:31 AM
*thumbs desperately through the Faber Big Book Of Excuses* I was thrown off thinking about that not very well composer James Northern Ireland.
James Northern Ireland, let me guess ... this one, perhaps?

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM

Hint: he married one of his pupils.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 06, 2019, 04:55:01 AM
Hint: he married one of his pupils.
Almost every single teacher did.  :D The specifications are a bit too general, I'm afraid: no indication of time, place, or even instrument. Could be anyone on this planet during the last couple of ages, from bamboo flautist to sitar player.

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 06, 2019, 11:59:52 PM
... The specifications are a bit too general, I'm afraid: no indication of time, place, or even instrument. ....
Very true to our dear Andrei's quiz style.... ;D

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2019, 12:11:40 AMVery true to our dear Andrei's quiz style.... ;D

Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM"A very easy one",
he said,
Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM"best remembered",
he said, not difficult at all, he said, so,
Quote from: Florestan on March 05, 2019, 10:52:45 AM"Who is he?",
he said.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2019, 12:08:15 AM
Also, if he didn't have a public career, unless you happened to have stumbled onto this person's biography, how are we to have ever known about him/her?

He didn't have a public career as performer. As a composer he is not that obscure. You know him alright.

Time: he recorded his complete works for his instrument, in stereo.

Place: the two cities where he spent his life are major cultural, financial, industrial and political centres; they are both capitals but only one of them is the capital of a state. There are three official languages spoken in these two cities; all are related but only two are mutually intelligible.

Instrument: stringed, although sometimes used percussively.

There, I gave him away.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2019, 05:11:36 AM
Mompou?

Himself. When he was 9 he heard Gabriel Faure performing in Barcelona and decided on a musical career as well. He got a letter of recommendation to Faure himself signed by Granados but because of his (Mompou's) extremely shy nature he never made use of it. He spent his life either in Barcelona or in Paris. Musica callada is inspired by the poetry of St. John of the Cross. He married Carmen Bravo.

Told you it was very easy.  :D

Your turn.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2019, 05:18:41 AM
Well, it wasn't easy until you gave us more information.

Ask and you shall receive.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2019, 06:12:22 AM
This composer/conductor is almost as famous for what he said as for what he wrote or performed.

This screams Stravinsky but I'm not sure about the other hints.

Christo

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 07, 2019, 05:15:51 AM
Himself. When he was 9 he heard Gabriel Faure performing in Barcelona and decided on a musical career as well. He got a letter of recommendation to Faure himself signed by Granados but because of his (Mompou's) extremely shy nature he never made use of it. He spent his life either in Barcelona or in Paris. Musica callada is inspired by the poetry of St. John of the Cross. He married Carmen Bravo.

Told you it was very easy.  :D

Your turn.
It's only easy if you know the answer. I did not, even after you supposedly gave it all away. The whole train of questions we've gotten lately - well I find them difficult. His father was related to the composer who left the country and named his son after the old country, but then returned only to have a daughter named after his friend. Oh, and he slept with his student and died in poverty. Whatever....
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Jo498

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal