Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JBS

Quote from: Jo498 on March 07, 2019, 06:56:42 AM
Boulez?

My thought exactly...but Jo got there first (if it's correct).

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 07, 2019, 06:48:54 AM
A good guess but not correct.
The problem is: more than one composer-conductors seem to qualify. Apart from Bernstein and Boulez, one could also think of Antal Doráti, and more. Can you offer one more specific trait?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Until Jo comes up with his quiz, let me tell you a fairy tale.

Once upon a time, about a hundred years ago, in a far away land whose inhabitants are worldwide known for their mad love for football and carnivals, there were three brothers. Each time their mother called them for dinner, the name of three very famous composers were heard. Each time their schoolmaster called them, the name of a very famous instrument-maker was heard. The brother who bore the name of the greatest of the three composers eventually became a composer himself. All three composers were extremely succesfull in one particular genre but the greatest of them was equally succesfull in many other ones.

Name the three composers and the brother in question.

(Note to self: if this will still be considered cryptic and lacking in specifics, never ever post any other quiz.)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 07, 2019, 12:06:17 PM
Until Jo comes up with his quiz, let me tell you a fairy tale.

Once upon a time, about a hundred years ago, in a far away land whose inhabitants are worldwide known for their mad love for football and carnivals, there were three brothers. Each time their mother called them for dinner, the name of three very famous composers were heard. Each time their schoolmaster called them, the name of a very famous instrument-maker was heard. The brother who bore the name of the greatest of the three composers eventually became a composer himself. All three composers were extremely succesfull in one particular genre but the greatest of them was equally succesfull in many other ones.

(Note to self: if this will still be considered cryptic and lacking in specifics, never ever post any other quiz.)
My first thought is Camargo Mozart Guarnieri and family. If he had a family.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2019, 12:08:50 PM
My first thought is Camargo Mozart Guarneri and family.

Correct.

I am relieved, I can still post here.  :laugh:

Who are the other two composers, though?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 07, 2019, 12:06:17 PM
Mozart Camargo, Rossine [a misspelling], Bellini & Verdi Guarnieri.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 07, 2019, 12:10:10 PM
Mozart Camargo, Rossine [a misspelling], Bellini & Verdi Guarnieri.

Correct but Ken got there before you.  :)

In Portuguese Rossine is actually right in terms of pronunciation.  ;D

And I never knew there was also a fourth broither named Bellini, which should have been Belline anyway.  :laugh:

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 07, 2019, 12:10:03 PM
Correct.

I am relieved, I can still post here.  :laugh:

Who are the other two composers, though?
Rossini, Bellini, and verdi. http://www.pianosociety.com/pages/guarnieri/

Ken B

I claim the prize!

Now I need a quiz that will beat Christo.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2019, 12:15:50 PM
I claim the prize!

It's yours alright!  8)

If it were about a Saxon it would really make my day.  ;D

Christo

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2019, 12:15:50 PM
I claim the prize!

D--n.  :D

Ken B

I have a good quiz in mind,  good because the hint is a funny aphorism, but Christo would nail it in seconds so I need to come up with another one ...
*thinking*

Ken B

I was a friend of Stravinsky and Antheil, as well as writers such as Hemingway. I set verses by Renaissance poets, appeared often on radio, and stirred much controversy. I used complex meters like 19/32. My music is not much performed nowadays. I spent time in prison.

ritter

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ken B

vandermolen

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
Damn you guys are good. Yes, Pound.

I think you mean that ritter is good!
8)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

Quote from: vandermolen on March 07, 2019, 10:38:31 PM
I think you mean that ritter is good!
8)
He's seen so often Pounding on the table, here, that everybody knows him!  ;D

ritter

Quote from: Ken B on March 07, 2019, 04:31:00 PM
Damn you guys are good. Yes, Pound.
Thanks. There's some luck involved...Several pages back, Florestan was asking about what I interpreted as "poet (or philosopher) - composers", and doing some research, the name of Pound came up—I don't know his music, but now know it's been recorded.. The prison bit in Ken's question sort of gave it away, too. BTW, many years ago, I was reading the Cantos. At the beginning, my reaction was "Damn, this is good!". Several cantos later, I was saying to myself "Damn, I'm not understanding anything".   :-[ ;D

So, a quick and easy question: what's the longest composition ever performed (actually, being performed)?

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 07, 2019, 11:33:00 PM
So, a quick and easy question: what's the longest composition ever performed (actually, being performed)?
According to Wikipedia: Organ²/ASLSP (As Slow as Possible) - a musical piece by John Cage and the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken. It was originally written in 1987 for organ and is adapted from the earlier work ASLSP 1985; a typical performance of the piano version lasts 20 to 70 minutes. In 1985, Cage opted to omit the detail of exactly how slowly the piece should be played. The performance of the organ version at St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt, Germany began in 2001 and is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years, ending in 2640.