Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 12:02:06 AM
According to Wikipedia: Organ²/ASLSP (As Slow as Possible) - a musical piece by John Cage and the subject of one of the longest-lasting musical performances yet undertaken. It was originally written in 1987 for organ and is adapted from the earlier work ASLSP 1985; a typical performance of the piano version lasts 20 to 70 minutes. In 1985, Cage opted to omit the detail of exactly how slowly the piece should be played. The performance of the organ version at St. Burchardi church in Halberstadt, Germany began in 2001 and is scheduled to have a duration of 639 years, ending in 2640.
Spot on. Your turn, Christo. :)

Christo

OK, something similar.  8)

Which piece by which composer was the first ever to be performed (by who?) in space - and heard on the radio (actually in my year of birth)?  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Quote from: San Antone on March 08, 2019, 12:24:36 AM
According to the Smithsonian it was "Jingle Bells" (by James Lord Pierpont) played on a harmonica by Wally Schirra and small bells played by Thomas P. Stafford.
That gives a whole new meaning to the idea of "music of the spheres "  ::) ;D

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 08, 2019, 12:24:36 AM
According to the Smithsonian it was "Jingle Bells" (by James Lord Pierpont) played on a harmonica by Wally Schirra and small bells played by Thomas P. Stafford.
A good one! But I had just turned 4, at that moment.  8)

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2019, 12:27:09 AM
That gives a whole new meaning to the idea of "music of the spheres "  ::) ;D
;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 12:27:15 AM
A good one! But I had just turned 4, at that moment.  8)
;D
Very sorry! I meant to say: good attempt, but wrong answer!  :P

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 08, 2019, 12:36:25 AM
Okay, then the Smithsonian is wrong.
The very first performance was four years earlier (in my birthyear).

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 08, 2019, 12:47:18 AM
In 1961 Yuri Gargarian (while waiting to launch) asked for music, as the countdown continues, technicians eventually manage to pipe records of Russian love songs into the capsule.

But he wasn't in space.
Not yet. But OK, right performer: on his return to earth he sang a song by Shostakovich:
http://history-is-made-at-night.blogspot.com/2007/06/yuri-gagarin-first-song-in-space.html
Your turn!  :D

ritter

I suppose the movement is Fluxus, the composer is John Cage, but am not sure of the work. Musicircus, perhaps?

Not my cup of tea, I must say. A person who used to be close to me was a great admirer of Joseph Beuys (another Fluxus "luminary"); I couldn't understand his enthusiasm...

ritter

Thanks.

Another easy one (while we wait for Florestan to come up with something like "I composed 200 piano sonatas that have never been performed, and my name only appears in the birth registry of some remote outpost of the Habsburg empire. What was my dog's name? " ;D).

France had its Les six, and, somewhat later, Spain had its own (numbered) group. Name the group, and at least 3 of its members.

ritter

Very good. Back to you.... ;)

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2019, 01:43:42 AMAnother easy one (while we wait for Florestan to come up with something like "I composed 200 piano sonatas that have never been performed, and my name only appears in the birth registry of some remote outpost of the Habsburg empire. What was my dog's name? " ;D).
Trick question of course: composers will only own cats.  ;D

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 08, 2019, 01:56:31 AM
This composer eventually became internationally well known and has influenced countless composers but during his lifetime his music was virtually unknown.  However, not entirely unknown.  Another very famous composer had this to say about him:

"There is a great Man living in this Country – a composer. He has solved the problem how to preserve one's self-esteem and to learn. He responds to negligence by contempt. He is not forced to accept praise or blame. His name is ...."

Name both composers.
Schoenberg about Ives (I happened to know).

Christo

OK. Which performer-composer had a vivid interest in both philosophy and science, wrote a philosophical treatise, lectured on natural phenomena (and published about them) and owned a telescope to observe meteorites and other cosmic events?  ::)

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 03:49:54 AM
OK. Which performer-composer had a vivid interest in both philosophy and science, wrote a philosophical treatise, lectured on natural phenomena (and published about them) and owned a telescope to observe meteorites and other cosmic events?  ::)
William Herschel, a.k.a. Friedrich Wilhelm Herschel?

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2019, 03:54:34 AM
Not that I'm aware of, did he do all this?  :o

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 03:56:25 AM
Not that I'm aware of, did he do all this?  :o
Perhaps not all that...but he did have a telescope AFAIK.  ;)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2019, 03:54:34 AM
Did he perform as well? Also not sure about the writings in philosophy. But he definitely owned a telescope! His sister is a better choice as she definitely performed his music, but again not aware she wrote anything on philosophy. So I'm thinking it's someone else (though it's the one I immediately thought of too).

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

ritter

Wikipedia says he played the violin, the oboe and the organ... Doesn't mention if he was any good at it, tough  :D

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 08, 2019, 04:24:39 AM
Wikipedia says he played the violin, the oboe and the organ... Doesn't mention if he was any good at it, tough  :D
The one we're looking for - at least you are  ;D - was very renowned both as a performer and as a composer (and still is).

ritter