Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 03:49:54 AM
OK. Which performer-composer had a vivid interest in both philosophy and science, wrote a philosophical treatise, lectured on natural phenomena (and published about them) and owned a telescope to observe meteorites and other cosmic events?  ::)
Herschel

Ken B

Quote from: Jo498 on March 08, 2019, 05:34:21 AM
Someone even more irate and choleric than Beethoven!
Florestan.

vandermolen

Mischa Spoliansky?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on March 08, 2019, 11:28:53 PM
It's him, your turn!  :D

Born into a Jewish family but baptised into the Russian Orthodox Church. Initially studied Biology at university. I married the daughter of a famous composer. One of my pupils is much better known than I am. Another (slightly) better known composer dedicated one of his symphonies to me. Only three of my five symphonies have been recorded.

Who am I ?

A walk in the park for you lot.
:)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

The new erato

Steinberg I Guess

vandermolen

The new erato

This composer wrote a number of mazurkas, some waltzez and nocturnes, a few chamber pieces and two piano concertos. He studied with a Polish composer, and died in Paris.

ritter

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2019, 01:10:59 AM
This composer wrote a number of mazurkas, some waltzez and nocturnes, a few chamber pieces and two piano concertos. He studied with a Polish composer, and died in Paris.
Frédéric Chopin did all that....  :)

The new erato

Chopins major teachers as a young talent before he moved to Paris were Czech and Silesian (which at the time weren't Polish according to wikipedia).....  This composer also numbered Kalkbrenner as an occasional teacher.....

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on March 09, 2019, 01:30:41 AM
Frédéric Chopin did all that....  :)

Probably too obvious. I thought of Szymanowski but he didn't write two piano concertos and died in Lausanne.

The composer himself may not be Polish so I might be barking up the wrong tree. Did Chopin have pupils?

The new erato

Periodically taught by Chopin according to sources.

ritter

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2019, 01:37:06 AM
Chopins major teachers as a young talent before he moved to Paris were Czech and Silesian (which at the time weren't Polish according to wikipedia)..... 
But perhaps he had a Pole as a minor teacher in his childhood ... ;D

The hunt continues... :)

Biffo

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2019, 01:37:06 AM
Chopins major teachers as a young talent before he moved to Paris were Czech and Silesian (which at the time weren't Polish according to wikipedia).....  This composer also numbered Kalkbrenner as an occasional teacher.....

Thomas Tellefsen?

The new erato

Quote from: Biffo on March 09, 2019, 01:43:13 AM
Thomas Tellefsen?
Exactly. From my hometown of Trondheim, Norway.

Biffo

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2019, 01:45:41 AM
Exactly. From my hometown of Trondheim, Norway.

A bit of a cheat really, once you mentioned Kalkbrenner it was easy. I am afraid he is just a name to me and I don't think I have any of his music; perhaps I should explore it.

The new erato

Quote from: Biffo on March 09, 2019, 01:51:41 AM
A bit of a cheat really, once you mentioned Kalkbrenner it was easy. I am afraid he is just a name to me and I don't think I have any of his music; perhaps I should explore it.
I felt I needed to give ritter some clues.... ;D

ritter

Quote from: The new erato on March 09, 2019, 01:54:25 AM
I felt I needed to give ritter some clues.... ;D
But ritter, alas, was too slow... :D

Biffo

I need some time to think up a worthwhile challenge. If any one has an idea of their own please fill in the gap.

ritter

I'll fill the gap... ;)

This man was one of the most revered performers of his time, travelling the world with his art. He's especially connected to one composer, and he himself wrote many works (in that composer's style, but that have lapsed into obscurity). His four children also were performers, one of them acquiring legendary status, another one almost the same (and also composed), and a third one made an important contribution to medical science (not unrelated to the family's performing tradition.

So, who was this man?