Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 09, 2019, 02:29:31 AM
I'll fill the gap... ;)

This man was one of the most revered performers of his time, travelling the world with his art. He's especially connected to one composer, and he himself wrote many works (in that composer's style, but that have lapsed into obscurity). His four children also were performers, one of them acquiring legendary status, another one almost the same (and also composed), and a third one made an important contribution to medical science (not unrelated to the family's performing tradition.

So, who was this man?

Sounds like The Jackson Five!  ;D

The correct answer being actually Manuel Garcia, worldwide famous tenor asscoiated particuarly with Mozart's operas, father of Maria Malibran, Pauline Viardot-Garcia and Manuel Garcia jr, baritone, inventor of the laryngoscope.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2019, 05:59:50 AM
Sounds like The Jackson Five!  ;D

The correct answer being actually Manuel Garcia, worldwide famous tenor asscoiated particuarly with Mozart's operas, father of Maria Malibran, Pauline Viardot-Garcia and Manuel Garcia jr, baritone, inventor of the laryngoscope.
The one and only... :)

The composer I was thinking of that he was connected with was actually Rossini, but Mozart will do as well (García and his daughter, legendary soprano Maria Malibran, gave the first performance of Don Giovanni in America (in New York in 1827, with the support of Lorenzo de Ponte, no less).

I have these two (Rossinian-sounding) operas by García in my collection:

Daughter Pauline Viardot, a mezzo, composed as well (there's some CDs other mudic). BTW, Werner Schroeter's  The Death of Maria Malibran is one of the strangest films I've ever seen (but that was many years ago, and I have little recollection of it).

Your turn, Florestan (unless Biffo is ready with his question—he graciously let me cut in while he prepared his challenge).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 09, 2019, 06:18:43 AM
Your turn, Florestan

As promised, inspired by your splendid idea.

Bow, bow! Oh, sorry, hello! Please excuse me, I am a Newfoundland dog. My master was a composer and pianist, more famous in the latter capacity, although his piano concerto is rather well-known and extremely taxing for performers and audiences alike. He was the native of a country which is an open-air museum of art history, full of blossoming lemon trees and beautiful songs. While very young he accepted a teaching position in a country where cranes fly past many dark woods and lakes. While there, he was entouraged by a circle of artists (including a very famous composer, a writer, a conductor and a painter --- the latter two were actually brothers). I was always present at their meetings so eventually they proclaimed me honorary convener and decided to name their group after my name. My master even composed a suite inspired by our (sic!) meetings. My name is Lesko, what's the name of my master?

NB: I offer for free the 6-CD complete piano works of this composer (downloads) to anyone who names it without googling.

Ken B

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 09, 2019, 06:36:25 AM
Busoni

That was quick. Google or no Google? Please be honest.  :)

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2019, 06:39:55 AM
That was quick. Google or no Google? Please be honest.  :)
Google  :( although my first thought was Busoni from the description of his career but I did not know about his dog. When I googled I saw Leskovites. I had heard that name (and forgotten it) but had no idea it was connected to a dog.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 09, 2019, 06:44:33 AM
Google 

I knew it! But you could have refrained from spoiling the party of those who might have tried to give it a go without Google.  ;D

Your turn (says grudgingly).

Ken B

I fear this is a gimme for a certain player but I like the clue so much ...

This composer once described himself as
QuoteEnglish by birth, Canadian by adoption, Irish by descent, Scotch by absorption.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2019, 06:47:24 AM
I knew it! But you could have refrained from spoiling the party of those who might have tried to give it a go without Google.  ;D

Your turn (says grudgingly).
With the kind of hair trigger sharp shooters we have here, who can nail Ezra freakin Pound as a composer in minutes?  Not a chance!

Florestan

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2019, 06:52:11 AM
Healey Willan
Google?

Yes. My great aunt was an organist and a private student of his. His choral and organ pieces get performed regularly in Canada, but the orchestral music rarely.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 09, 2019, 07:06:02 AM
Google?

English-born Canadian composers.  ;D

My family name has become very famous in the last two decades, especially among kids and youngsters, but this has got nothing to do with me. My godmother gave me a first name after an artist who was her brother, or so she claimed. I was a composer and pianist praised by a very famous composer and pianist who nevertheless declined to be my teacher. I premiered two of his works in my own country. Who am I?

Florestan

BUMP!

Quote from: Florestan on March 09, 2019, 07:12:24 AM
My family name has become very famous in the last two decades, especially among kids and youngsters, but this has got nothing to do with me. My godmother gave me a first name after an artist who was her brother, or so she claimed. I was a composer and pianist praised by a very famous composer and pianist who nevertheless declined to be my teacher. I premiered two of his works in my own country. Who am I?

Hint: his last concert was the first performance of Brahms's A German Requiem in that country, in a version with two-piano accompaniment.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 01:31:00 AM
BUMP!

Hint: his last concert was the first performance of Brahms's A German Requiem in that country, in a version with two-piano accompaniment.
Still no idea... :(

Jo498

Before the hint I thought of Biber (because of the pop starlet with a similar name).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

vandermolen

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2019, 02:20:29 AM
Before the hint I thought of Biber (because of the pop starlet with a similar name).
Me too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2019, 02:20:29 AM

Quote from: vandermolen on March 11, 2019, 02:54:14 AM
Me too.

Biber was not a pianist, though.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 11, 2019, 02:58:07 AM
Cipriani Potter?

Yes. Not a relative of Harry Potter. Praised by Beethoven who nevertheless declined to teach him. Premiered the latter's 3rd and 4th piano concertos in England.

Your turn.

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 01:31:00 AM
BUMP!

Subsidiary question: What is the connection between this performance and one of the leading lights of the 20th century avant garde?

ritter

Quote from: Biffo on March 11, 2019, 03:47:45 AM
Subsidiary question: What is the connection between this performance and one of the leading lights of the 20th century avant garde?
Cipriani Potter played one of the pianos (it was the version of the German Requiem with piano duo accompaniment), and one Julius Stockhausen was the conductor (I haven't been able to identify any family links between Julius and Karlheinz, though).

Of course I googled all this. Never heard of Potter before. The name Cipriani mainly has culinary connotations for me.. ;)