Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 04:09:17 AM
Cipriani Potter played one of the pianos (it was the version of the German Requiem with piano duo accompaniment), and one Julius Stockhausen was the conductor (I haven't been able to identify any family links between Julius and Karlheinz, though).

Of course I googled all this. Never heard of Potter before. The name Cipriani mainly has culinary connotations for me.. ;)
This guy:

[asin]B06Y3FTPBX[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 04:09:17 AM
Cipriani Potter played one of the pianos (it was the version of the German Requiem with piano duo accompaniment), and one Julius Stockhausen was the conductor (I haven't been able to identify any family links between Julius and Karlheinz, though).

Of course I googled all this. Never heard of Potter before. The name Cipriani mainly has culinary connotations for me.. ;)

I couldn't find any connection between Julius (friend of Brahms) and Karlheinz other than the name. I just noticed it when reading the sleeve notes for The Sixteen's recording of the two-piano version of the Requiem.

I had heard of Cipriani Potter but don't recall ever hearing any of his music.

Biffo

My deferred question, probably a lot easier.

This prolific composer wrote three symphonies and other large scale symphonic works. He also wrote a number of symphonic (or tone) poems, one based on a very famous story in his native land the other with a connection to a famous sailing ship.

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on March 11, 2019, 04:55:53 AM
This prolific composer wrote three symphonies and other large scale symphonic works. He also wrote a number of symphonic (or tone) poems, one based on a very famous story in his native land the other with a connection to a famous sailing ship.
Rachmaninov?
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 11, 2019, 06:40:42 AM
Rachmaninov?

With only 45 opus-numbered works he can hardly qualify as prolific.  :)

Rimsky-Korsakov? Sadko and Sheherezade / Sindbad's Ship?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Augusta Holmes and her dramatic symphony The Argonauts. Of course, she was a "she", not a "he"...

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 07:11:46 AM
Augusta Holmes and her dramatic symphony The Argonauts. Of course, she was a "she", not a "he"...

If you're right, which is the other tone poem, the one based on a very famous French story? Can't find it. Plus: The Argonauts is not a tone poem but a dramatic symphony for voices, choir and orchestra. Would you call La Damnation de Faust a tone poem?  ;D

Biffo

Not Rachmaninov, Rimsky of Holmes

Berlioz called his Faust a dramatic legend, definitely not a symphonic poem.

The composer is not French.

Florestan

Biffo

The famous sailing ship is not in the title of the symphonic poem and it is a real ship not a legendary one.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 07:14:25 AM
If you're right, which is the other tone poem, the one based on a very famous French story? Can't find it.
Lutèce? Belle au bois dormant Andromède, Pologne and Irlande surely would't qualify.. ;D

QuotePlus: The Argonauts is not a tone poem but a dramatic symphony for voices, choir and orchestra. Would you call La Damnation de Faust a tone poem?  ;D
So now we resort to semantics and nitpicking?  :D

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 07:24:17 AM
And her three symphonies? Where are they?

https://www.musicologie.org/Biographies/h/holmes_augusta.html
Les Argonautes, symphonie dramatique (1880)
Ludus pro patria, ode-symphonie (1888)
Au pays bleu, suite symphonique (c.1888)

I know, I know, I'm making her fit with a shoehorn, as we say in Spain... ;D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 07:27:00 AM
Les Argonautes, symphonie dramatique (1880)
Ludus pro patria, ode-symphonie (1888)
Au pays bleu, suite symphonique (c.1888)

None of them is a symphony, plus you count Les Argonautes twice,  first as a symphony and then as a tone poem.  ;D

I know, I know, I'm making her fit with a shoehorn, as we say in Spain... ;D

You do just that, yes.  :D

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 11, 2019, 07:26:47 AM
The famous sailing ship is not in the title of the symphonic poem and it is a real ship not a legendary one.

Did it have a shipwreck or sink?

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 07:46:10 AM
Did it have a shipwreck or sink?

No, it has survived and is now moored in London.

ritter

Quote from: Biffo on March 11, 2019, 07:47:52 AM
No, it has survived and is now moored in London.
George Whitefield Chadwick, who wrote three symphonies, and a tone poem on Robert Burns's Tam o'Shanter (where the name of the Cutty Sark is taken from)? And the famous story from his homeland would be Rip van Winkle...

P.S.: If my answer is right, I'd gladly let San Antone cut in (he seems to have challenge ready, and I'll be offline fir a wile).

Biffo

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 07:58:48 AM
George Whitefield Chadwick, who wrote three symphonies, and a tone poem on Robert Burns's Tam o'Shanter (where the name of the Cutty Sark is taken from)? And the famous story from his homeland would be Rip van Winkle...

Correct - Cutty Sark is the nickname of the witch who chases Tam.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: San Antone on March 11, 2019, 08:32:21 AM
This world renowned instrumentalist has performed widely and has released recordings of repertory from Bach to Ades.  He is known for having a distinctive sound on his instrument.  While he is the only truly professional musician everyone in his family played an instrument and he has been quoted saying that playing together as a family was an integral part of his musical development.

His surname is an European variation indicating his ethnic ancestry.

Although he has not composed music he is the author of two published books for children on the lives of composers.

Who is he?
I had no idea until the last clue. I may still be wrong, but Stephen Isserlis wrote two books for children, one about Beethoven and the other about Handel. I was looking at them not too long ago to buy.

mc ukrneal

Question: What is the name of the movie and what is the name of the opera that appears in it?

Hint: In this movie (a personal favorite), we see the main characters in a high speed chase interspersed with scenes from the opera being performed live on stage. Despite the attempted murder of the pope, the pope himself leads the audience to great applause for the performance. This is not a recent movie, but it is in color. This movie, along with a movie from the time (Frisco Kid) got me into these screwball comedies.  A fairly famous musician also made his American debut in this movie.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Foul Play, with The Mikado?

I had to look up the opera. If I'm right I'm shocked that his could be anyone's favorite movie.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 11, 2019, 09:33:40 AM
Yep, you got it.

What ethnicity is this, Isserlis?  :D