Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Ghost of Baron Scarpia on March 11, 2019, 10:11:55 AM
Foul Play, with The Mikado?

I had to look up the opera. If I'm right I'm shocked that his could be anyone's favorite movie.
Correct! Dudley Moore made his American debut in the movie. I didn't say it was my favorite, but it is a favorite. It's pretty silly, but it's a light, fun caper. Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase are so young here. It still makes me laugh. Anyway, since I also like Anton Rubinstein and crossover, I guess there is no helping me.

Anyway, you're up.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 11, 2019, 10:19:04 AM
Correct! Dudley Moore made his American debut in the movie. I didn't say it was my favorite, but it is a favorite. It's pretty silly, but it's a light, fun caper. Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase are so young here. It still makes me laugh. Anyway, since I also like Anton Rubinstein and crossover, I guess there is no helping me.

Anyway, you're up.

We all have our guilty pleasures. I like Smokey and the Bandit. And who am I to talk, I recognized the film instantly. I couldn't place the title but I remembered it had Goldie Hawn.

Florestan

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 10:13:00 AM
What ethnicity is this, Isserlis?  :D

Okay, according to Wikipedia "The name 'Isserlis' is one of many European variations of the Hebrew name 'Israel'.[7] To me this looks like bull. I even doubt that there are "many" European variations of "Israel".
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Ok, I've made a big mistake, I'm not a quiz type and I have to make up a quiz. This will be a doozie!

This person toured Europe as a child and later became one of the most famous composers in the history of the continent. Despite this there are rumors that his sister Nannerl was even smarter. His music is known to everyone on this board except MI.

Irons

Blimey. Even I know that! Mozart.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2019, 10:59:50 AM
Blimey. Even I know that! Mozart.

Next quiz is on you, then! :)

Irons

Well, this is topical. ;) Which famous figure of classical music said in 1927 "I do not think good jazz is harmful. And the highbrows of music who do not like good jazz are snobs".
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Ken B

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2019, 11:31:15 AM
Well, this is topical. ;) Which famous figure of classical music said in 1927 "I do not think good jazz is harmful. And the highbrows of music who do not like good jazz are snobs".
Copland.

Irons

Neither.

"Apart from a few lessons from Weingartner, I am self-taught; I watched many rehearsals under such conductors  as Nikisch, Motti and Richard Strauss - and Francisco de Lacerda, a Portuguese who impressed me especially, he was my model more then anyone else."

Ken B

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2019, 12:39:24 PM
Neither.

"Apart from a few lessons from Weingartner, I am self-taught; I watched many rehearsals under such conductors  as Nikisch, Motti and Richard Strauss - and Francisco de Lacerda, a Portuguese who impressed me especially, he was my model more then anyone else."
Hmmm. Karl Bohm possibly. He studied law.

Irons

No, but there is a similarity. The study part.  ;)

ritter

Böhm studied with Eusebius Mandyczweski (that's the kind of name one wouldn't forget  ;D), and I really don't see good old Karl defending jazz...

EDIT:

Josef Krips studied with Weingartner and Mandyczweski...could Krips be our mystery man?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 11, 2019, 01:08:19 PM
Böhm studied with Eusebius Manyczweski (that's the kind of name one wouldn't forget  ;D), and I really don't see good old Karl defending jazz...

Mandyczewsky, actually.  ;D

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 11, 2019, 01:11:12 PM
Mandyczewsky, actually.  ;D
Yep...honest typo this time around.  :-[

Irons

Ken B was not referring to music when he said "study".

Florestan

Ernest Ansermet?

ritter

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2019, 01:22:03 PM
Ken B was not referring to music when he said "study".
Walter Braunfels?

Irons

Florestan

Quote from: Irons on March 11, 2019, 01:36:38 PM
Well done. Ansermet it is.

The father of this composer and pianist was born on an island, her mother on another island, and he was born on the latter. He took piano lessons from his sister, a composer in her own right. As a child prodigiy he composed his first song at 11. He studied with a composer who would later become (in)famous because of his daughter. He composed piano works, songs and music for stage and film. One of his greatest hits was nominated for an Academy Award but lost to another song --- and in retrospect the jury was obviously right.

Name the composer, his teacher and the reason why the jury was right.

Christo

Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona - he studied with Joaquín Nin, father of Anaïs Nin (sexually abused by her father). His song "Always in my heart" (Siempre en mi Corazón) was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song in 1942, but lost to "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin. "The version sung by Bing Crosby is the world's best-selling single with estimated sales in excess of 50 million copies worldwide. Other versions of the song, along with Crosby's, have sold over 50 million copies."
(I know him mainly because of Leo Brouwer, the grandson of his sister Ernestina Lecuona).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948