Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Just listened to Siempre en mi Corazon sung by Placido Domingo. I can't imagine it selling 50 million copies but with a less cheesy accompaniment it would  be an enjoyable song.  If I never hear White Christmas again as long as I live I won't mind.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 12, 2019, 02:41:59 AM
Cuban composer Ernesto Lecuona - he studied with Joaquín Nin, father of Anaïs Nin (sexually abused by her father). His song "Always in my heart" (Siempre en mi Corazón) was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Song in 1942, but lost to "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin. "The version sung by Bing Crosby is the world's best-selling single with estimated sales in excess of 50 million copies worldwide. Other versions of the song, along with Crosby's, have sold over 50 million copies."
(I know him mainly because of Leo Brouwer, the grandson of his sister Ernestina Lecuona).

Your turn.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

In his American exile Thomas Mann met left-handed pianist Paul Wittgenstein on the beach. The latter had recently cooperated with a composer whose oratorio had just been premiered in the Third Reich. There's a widespread speculation, yet unproven, that this oratorio stood as a model for a famous creation in Thomas Mann's novel, Doctor Faustus. Name both composers and both works. 
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: Christo on March 12, 2019, 04:18:18 AM
In his American exile Thomas Mann met left-handed pianist Paul Wittgenstein on the beach. The latter had recently cooperated with a composer whose oratorio had just been premiered in the Third Reich. There's a widespread speculation, yet unproven, that this oratorio stood as a model for a famous creation in Thomas Mann's novel, Doctor Faustus. Name both composers and both works.

When I read Doctor Faustus many years I ago I was struck at the resemblance between the oratorio written by Adrian Leverkuhn and Der Buch mit sieben Siegeln (1935-37) by Franz Schmidt. I can't remember the name of the Leverkuhn work but Schmidt wrote Concertante Variations on a Theme of Beethoven for Piano (left hand alone) with orchestra for Paul Wittgenstein.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 04:28:01 AM
I can't remember the name of the Leverkuhn work

Apocalypsis cum figuris.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 04:32:30 AM
Apocalypsis cum figuris.
Apocalipsis cum figuris #thanks
Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 04:28:01 AM
When I read Doctor Faustus many years I ago I was struck at the resemblance between the oratorio written by Adrian Leverkühn and Das Buch mit sieben Siegeln (1935-37) by Franz Schmidt. I can't remember the name of the Leverkühn work but Schmidt wrote Concertante Variations on a Theme of Beethoven for Piano (left hand alone) with orchestra for Paul Wittgenstein.
Great to learn! Your turn.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 04:32:30 AM
Apocalypsis cum figuris.

Thanks, saves me digging out the novel from the vaults.  Also thought that Leverkuhn's Violin Concerto was based on Berg's and his Faust on Busoni with a touch of Berlioz.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 04:40:05 AM
Thanks, saves me digging out the novel from the vaults.  Also thought that Leverkuhn's Violin Concerto was based on Berg's and his Faust on Busoni with a touch of Berlioz.

Much easier to identify the sources than the Vinteuil sonata.  :D

Biffo

This composer had a meteoric rise to fame and royal patronage led to a glittering career. A change of regime led to exile in France. Most of his works listed in his inventory were lost in the years after his death.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 04:51:25 AM
This composer had a meteoric rise to fame and royal patronage led to a glittering career. A change of regime led to exile in France. Most of his works listed in his inventory were lost in the years after his death.

Was he European?

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 04:56:59 AM
Was he European?

Yes, though his works have been found as far afield as Munich and the New World.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 04:51:25 AM
This composer had a meteoric rise to fame and royal patronage led to a glittering career. A change of regime led to exile in France.

So, either a change from monarchy to republic, or a change of dinasty. Hmmm....

Christo

Jakub Reys (or Polak), born in Poland around 1540 and died in Paris, 1605?

Biffo

Quote from: Christo on March 12, 2019, 05:44:13 AM
Jakub Reys (or Polak), born in Poland around 1540 and died in Paris, 1605?

No, our composer died roughly a century later

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 05:50:01 AM
No, our composer died roughly a century later

Around 1700, then. Now, which regime changes occurred around that time? Otomh, the 1688 Gorious Revolution in England and possibly the War of Spanish Succession (1700-1714). Am I even close?

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 07:48:46 AM
Around 1700, then. Now, which regime changes occurred around that time? Otomh, the 1688 Gorious Revolution in England and possibly the War of Spanish Succession (1700-1714). Am I even close?

Yes, very close, it was the latter.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 08:00:24 AM
Yes, very close, it was the latter.

Sebastián Durón.

Never ever heard of him before.  :)

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 08:07:28 AM
Sebastián Durón.

Never ever heard of him before.  :)

Correct! I have a modest amount of Spanish baroque but hadn't heard of Duron until I bought an album of his music from Albert Recasens and La Grande Chapelle.

Florestan

I also had a brother who was like me a musician and a composer. A man of great talent, far more gifted than I. He died very young ... alas ... alas! He killed himself in the prime of life.

Which very famous composer said that, and whom was he referring to?

Ken B

Mahler. Brother Otto.