Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Google or not, it's your turn.  :D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

I was stabbed by a prostitute. My last, unfinished, composition was about a man stabbed by a prostitute.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 12, 2019, 08:38:35 AM
I was stabbed by a prostitute. My last, unfinished, composition was about a man stabbed by a prostitute.

Claude Vivier?

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 08:38:59 AM
Claude Vivier?
I knew I could rely on you for all things murderous male prostitute Andrei!  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 12, 2019, 08:47:22 AM
I knew I could rely on you for all things murderous male prostitute Andrei!  ;)

Not only male. This composer died while having intercourse with a female prostitute but after hearing her testimony the jury found her innocent. Who was he and what happened?  ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 09:40:06 AM
Not only male. This composer died while having intercourse with a female prostitute but after hearing her testimony the jury found her innocent. Who was he and what happened?  ;D
How can we forget that one! There are quite a few unusual deaths, but that is a doozy.  Koczwara Kocswara Koszwara. Something like that. I forget! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 12, 2019, 09:47:56 AM
How can we forget that one! There are quite a few unusual deaths, but that is a doozy.  Koczwara Kocswara Koszwara. Something like that. I forget! :)

Kotzwara.  :D

Your turn.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 09:40:06 AM
Maybe Scarpia is right about quickies after all.

mc ukrneal

There are numerous operas based on Shakespeare's plays. Name 5 operas based on Shakespeare's plays that used a different title. For example, Otello is essentially the same as Othello and doesn't count. Translations don't count unless they are different in spirit.  It's ok to reuse plays (with different opera titles) if desired.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 12, 2019, 10:11:31 AM
There are numerous operas based on Shakespeare's plays. Name 5 operas based on Shakespeare's plays that used a different title. For example, Otello is essentially the same as Othello and doesn't count. Translations don't count unless they are different in spirit.  It's ok to reuse plays (with different opera titles) if desired.

I don't understand this question.  ???

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 10:14:33 AM
I don't understand this question.  ???
You want 5 operas based on a Shakespeare Play that don't use the same title. So Hamlet (Thomas) and Otello (Verdi) don't count. But if Thomas had called his opera Death in Scotland or Verdi had called his Iago, they would count.

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 12, 2019, 10:23:29 AM
You want 5 operas based on a Shakespeare Play that don't use the same title. So Hamlet (Thomas) and Otello (Verdi) don't count. But if Thomas had called his opera Death in Scotland or Verdi had called his Iago, they would count.

Ah, okay, now I got it.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 10:25:24 AM
Ah, okay, now I got it.
I was going to say yes to your example, but you stole it right back! :)

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 12, 2019, 10:27:43 AM
I was going to say yes to your example, but you stole it right back! :)

That's because I felrt it was superfluous.  :D

Here you are, five:

Béatrice et Bénédict
Die Ermordung Cäsars
Das Liebesverbot
At the Boar's Head
Die Geisterinsel

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 12, 2019, 10:29:49 AM
That's because I felrt it was superfluous.  :D

Here you are, five:

Béatrice et Bénédict
Die Ermordung Cäsars
Das Liebesverbot
At the Boar's Head
Die Geisterinsel

Looks good! Anyone want to name some more?

Florestan

Jo498

You left out several of the most famous ones
Bellini: I capuleti e i montecchi (Romeo & Juliet)
Verdi: Falstaff (The merry wives of Windsor)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on March 12, 2019, 10:37:17 AM
You left out several of the most famous ones
Bellini: I capuleti e i montecchi (Romeo & Juliet)
Verdi: Falstaff (The merry wives of Windsor)

The Bellini isn't based on Shakepeare but a different literary source. To nitpick 'At the Boars Head' is derived from more than one play. The musical part of Purcell's Fairy Queen has no connection with Shakespeare or even the action of the play embedded in it.

Add RVW  Sir John in Love - Merry Wives etc

Christo

Shylock (1979) by composer Hans Kox, who died two weeks ago. 
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Biffo on March 12, 2019, 10:49:25 AM
The Bellini isn't based on Shakepeare but a different literary source. To nitpick 'At the Boars Head' is derived from more than one play. The musical part of Purcell's Fairy Queen has no connection with Shakespeare or even the action of the play embedded in it.

Add RVW  Sir John in Love - Merry Wives etc
The Bellini is an interesting one, since the source is the same that Shakespeare used for his play (from Luigi Da Porto).

Smetana wrote an unfinished opera called Viola that was based on Twelfth Night. Henze wrote an opera (Venus and Adonis) based on a poem of Shakespeare (that one I stumbled upon when checking a couple of the possible answers). Salieri also wrote a Falstaff.