Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Here's an easy one: these two composers were one-hit wonders and it's possible that people know their works alright but have no idea about who composed them. Although they were born and lived on different continents (they were contemporary during the short life of the younger of them), their hits have two things in common. Name the composers and the works.

Hint: La mer. (sic!)
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 01:24:29 AM
Here's an easy one: these two composers were one-hit wonders and it's possible that people know their works alright but have no idea about who composed them. Although they were born and lived on different continents (they were contemporary during the short life of the younger of them), their hits have two things in common. Name the composers and the works.

Hint: La mer. (sic!)
So I want to say Thomas Arne and some yank to be named later. Rule Britannia. Columbia Gem of the Ocean.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 13, 2019, 07:03:44 AM
So I want to say Thomas Arne and some yank to be named later. Rule Britannia. Columbia Gem of the Ocean.

Nope.

Ken B

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 13, 2019, 07:08:25 AM
But there should now be a hint.

La mer, 2nd movement. The title.

The new erato

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 07:13:26 AM
La mer, 2nd movement. The title.
That is why you are vague?

Florestan

Florestan

Okay, two more hints.

ritter

I can only come up with Reger's Im Spiel der Wellen (after Böcklin). But one could hardly call Reger a one hit-wonder (more a zero-hit wonder  ;D ).

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 07:28:08 AM
Okay, two more hints.

Oh, of course, the world-renowned Mexican fjords... :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 07:28:53 AM
I can only come up with Reger's Im Spiel der Wellen (after Böcklin). But one could hardly call Reger a one hit-wonder (more a zero-hit wonder  ;D ).

You are probably one of the few persons in the civilized world who have admittedly never ever heard one of this hits, and quite possibly neither the other one.  ;)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 07:31:20 AM
Oh, of course, the world-renowned Mexican fjords... :D

That's not a fjord, actually. A delta lies not far away.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 07:31:54 AM
You are probably one of the few persons in the civilized world who have admittedly never ever heard one of this hits, and quite possibly neither the other one.  ;)
OK then...one is Ion Ionavici's ultra-maga-super famous Waves of the Danube, and the other? Moncayo's Huapango? What on earth has the latter to do with the sea, or waves, or whatever.... ???

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 07:36:37 AM
OK then...one is Ion Ivanovici's ultra-maga-super famous Waves of the Danube,

Bingo! (I edited your spelling of his name)

and the other? Moncayo's Huapango? What on earth has the latter to do with the sea, or waves, or whatever.... ???

Nothing to do because it is not the right answer.

Hint for you only:

ritter

Juventino Rosas: Sobre las olas. You were right!!! Never heard it, or heard of it!  :D ::)

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 07:43:01 AM
Juventino Rosas: Sobre las olas. You were right!!! Never heard it, or heard of it!  :D ::)

Am I right in presuming you have also never heard (of) something called "España cañí"?  ;D

Anyway, your turn.

Ken B

I gotta say Andrei, my answer fits your clue better than yours does!

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 13, 2019, 07:53:29 AM
I gotta say Andrei, my answer fits your clue better than yours does!

Why, of course, "Over the Waves" and "Waves of the Danube" have nothing in common  --- except they both are waltzes and they both are about waves.

Was Thomas Arne, who died in 1778, contemporary with Thomas a'Becket, who was born in 1808? Plus, how could they have been born on different continents if they were both born in England?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 07:49:26 AM
Am I right in presuming you have also never heard (of) something called "España cañí"?  ;D

Anyway, your turn.
España cañí, of course...and Suspiros de España as well. Even Paquito el chocolatero.... ;D

Let's see. This playwright, widely regarded as one of the greats of all time, contributed the libretto to an opera which holds a singular position in the history of music (even if the work itself is rarely performed--but there's at least two commercial recordings of it--and its composer is not really well known).

A hint: Possibly the most famous composer from the playwright's homeland wrote what is possibly his least-known composition as incidental music to one of  this playwright's more famous works.

So, who's the playwright, whose the unknown composer of the "singular" opera, what opera is it (and, for bonus points, who's the famous composer and what's his forgotten composition)?