Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 09:36:09 AM
That's it! La púrpura de la rosa, by Tomás Torrejón y Velasco is the first (or, at least, the first surviving) opera written and performed in America. The libretto by Calderón had originally been intended for Juan de Hidalgo.

The work was first given in Lima on 19 October 1701. It's been recorded twice AFAIK, conducted by René Clemencic and Gabriel Garrido. I saw it fully staged, under Garrido, in the Teatro de la Zarzuela here in Madrid in the late 90s.

mc ukrneal turns (or Biffo's, who got very close)...  :)

EDIT: There's actually four recordings of the work...

Lime as a hint for Lima... really?  ;D

And the last one , what's its meaning?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 09:55:24 AM
Lime as a hint for Lima... really?  ;D
Subtle, isn't it?
And the last one , what's its meaning?
Pedro Calderón de la Barca

Get it?  ;D

BTW, that barca is by Miquel Barceló. It's an impressive large-scale canvas currently being exhibited at te Galería Elvira González here in Madrid.

EDIT:  I'd say Florestan is up (he also got very close, but a split second after Biffo).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 10:05:00 AM
Subtle, isn't it?

Too subtle for me, apparently.  :D

QuotePedro Calderón de la Barca

Get it?  ;D

I had got calderon, I needed no boat.  :D

BTW, that barca is by Miquel Barceló. It's an impressive large-scale canvas currently being exhibited at te Galería Elvira González here in Madrid.

I could have stared at it for a thousand years before realizing it's a boat.  ;D

EDIT:  I'd say Florestan is up (he also got very close, but a split second after Biffo).

Tomorrow. Meanwhile if you have another good one (this last was very interesting), go for it.

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 10:25:48 AM
Too subtle for me, apparently.  :D

I had got calderon, I needed no boat.  :D

I could have stared at it for a thousand years before realizing it's a boat.  ;D

Tomorrow. Meanwhile if you have another good one (this last was very interesting), go for it.

I thought it was a blue whale

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 13, 2019, 10:30:03 AM
I thought it was a blue whale

:laugh:

I had no effing idea what it was.

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 10:25:48 AM
Back to me by default, then...

An easy one:
I wrote a segment of one of my most famous compositions (a collection, rather) inspired only by a postcard sent to me by a fellow composer. Who am I, who was my colleague, and what was pictured on that card?

Ken B

I'll inject one

Name the composer I am thinking of.

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 10:49:01 AM
An easy one:
I wrote a segment of one of my most famous compositions (a collection, rather) inspired only by a postcard sent to me by a fellow composer. Who am I, who was my colleague, and what was pictured on that card?

La puerta del vino (Preludes) by Claude Debussy, inspired by the postcard Manuel de Falla sent him from Granada, depicting the Alhambra gate of this name.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

NikF4

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 10:49:01 AM
Back to me by default, then...

An easy one:
Quote from: Christo on March 13, 2019, 11:18:54 AM
La puerta del vino (Preludes) by Claude Debussy, inspired by the postcard Manuel de Falla sent him from Granada, depicting the Alhambra gate of this name.

You guys bust my chops sometimes. 8)

ritter

Quote from: Christo on March 13, 2019, 11:18:54 AM
Correct! Your turn...

Florestan

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 13, 2019, 11:27:27 AM
Correct! Your turn...

OK. I was born in a musical family on an island that was once Venetian and my family name is derived from an Italian word for 'harbour boy'. I studied and lived in Central Europe, but was forced to flee in 1933, in the same month as my teacher. Both my teacher's influence and folk music have a major impact on my compositions, resulting in two radically different styles. 
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Nikos Skalkottas?

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 11:55:07 AM
Nikos Skalkottas?
A boy working in the Venetian harbour of Negroponte, as it was then called, but probably better known as Euboea, Evia or Εύβοια, was a "scalzotto"; hence his name. His teacher of course Schönberg. Your turn.  ;D

JBS

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 13, 2019, 10:58:28 AM
Alan Hovhaness, And God Created Great Whales.
Ahh, you fell into the trap!
In the first we see a wrap and the second one we see blue
So Gershwin.

;)

Florestan

Florestan

Come on, guys, this is really easy.

Quote from: Florestan on March 13, 2019, 11:47:52 AM

Supplementary hint:

Jo498

My first guess was Quantum Electrodynamics.

But now: Nono: Como una ola de fuerza y luz
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 14, 2019, 01:03:32 AM
Nono: Como una ola de fuerza y luz

Yep!  8)

Your turn.