Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

No, it doesn't. But neither is it some extraordinary additional assumption. They emigrated from Germany and ended up in Britain. An extremely rare and unlikely case in the first half of the 20th century, nobody would ever have thought of...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2019, 07:23:30 AM
Easy! Do some triangulation with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_composers_by_birth_date

;D
Had already - before the latest confessions - consulted both lists, based on the speculation that the family left for the UK (and not the US). Who can better?  ;D
Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 07:37:30 AM
I would guess this is a Jewish family leaving Germany during the rise of Hitler.
Or an equivalent to the Mann family (my very first thought).
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 07:37:30 AM
I would guess this is a Jewish family leaving Germany during the rise of Hitler.

From the original post it could have been anything from a Russian aristocrat fleeing the Bolsheviks to an Italian left-wing intellectual fleeing Mussolini's regime to an Austrian Jew leaving after the Anschluss.

Ken B

Refugees in the 30s or 40s ... that covers a lot of ground. Most of Europe, much of eastern Asia...

Jo498

Congrats, San Antone. How did you achieve the impossible? How did you exclude all the Samoans, Manjurians and Martians?

I am sorry that I severely misjudged the question due to local bias. The thing is that while Weissmann is indeed obscure, Alfred Kerr was one of the three or four most famous German language literary/theatre critics of the 20th century (and together with Austrian Karl Kraus the dominant critic of the early 20th century). And the first of Judith Kerr's books "When Hitler stole pink rabbit" has been extremely popular in Germany since the mid-70s, including a TV production. So I really thought I had to start in very general terms and had given it away with the first two additional hints or so.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 08:28:46 AM
Another female composer - American - claims she has not received credit due her because of her association with a famous older composer who used her ideas as his own. 

Name both composers.
Feldman and Brunita Marcus

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 08:37:36 AM
Was it too easy?  Oh, well, I guess we need those to break it up.  But it is Bunita, no "r".  Your turn.
Well my Hovhaness was pretty easy. I don't believe her claim, but I listened to some of her music and enjoyed it.

Another easy one. Name the composer.

Biffo

May I now interpolate my much delayed question? After the rigours and obscurities of the past couple of days this one is dead easy; it should take most people about 10 seconds but longer to google all the subsidiary details.

This female composer is well known despite having a very small output. She was a complete slapper and pathological liar. Prior to her marriage she had a string of passionate but apparently unconsummated relationships with a number of men, all much older than herself. The last of these was her teacher, a well known composer who later married the sister of an even better known composer.

After marriage our composer made up for lost time and threw herself at any passing expressionist painter, architect, poet .... the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker.

Her step-father was, in his day, a noted landscape painter. He later became an enthusiastic Nazi and committed suicide when the Third Reich collapsed.

Out composer's daughter had an even more complex married life. Aged 16 she married an obscure musician, mainly to escape her ghastly mother. She subsequently married a well known composer, a publisher and a reasonably well known conductor. She became a noted artist though she struggled when she went out of fashion. Possibly her best known work, for music-lovers, is a bust of a well known US conductor.

Name a many of these interesting people as you choose and also the elephant in the room.

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 09:18:11 AM
Does Chanukkah have significance or is the menorah to signify the composer is Jewish?

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 07:48:58 AM
My guess is the composer is Julia Weissman (Julia Anna Franziska Kerr born in Weisbaden as Julia Anna Franziska Weismann was a German composer), married to Alfred Kerr the parents of Judith Kerr, author of children's books.

Kerr was born in Berlin, the daughter of Alfred Kerr (1867–1948), a German-Jewish theatre critic who had changed his name from Kempner to Kerr in 1887, by his marriage to Julia Weismann [de] (1898-1965), the daughter of a Prussian politician. Judith Kerr had a brother, Michael (Sir Michael Robert Emanuel Kerr (1 March 1921 – 14 April 2002) was a British jurist, lawyer and author. His career eventually led him to the High Court, where he believed that he was the first senior judge born an alien since the 12th century.).

In 1933, just before the Nazis came to power, the family left Germany, fearful because Alfred Kerr had openly criticized the Nazis. Alfred Kerr's books were burned by the Nazis shortly after he fled Germany. The family travelled first to Switzerland and then on to France, before finally settling in Britain, where Judith Kerr has lived ever since. She subsequently became a naturalised British subject.

8)

Never ever heard about any of them before --- and I had a big hunch this would indeed prove be the case.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 09:38:28 AM
Is this a new hint or just to clarify that the composer in question is Jewish?
Clarification.

Ken B

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2019, 08:42:57 AM
Well my Hovhaness was pretty easy. I don't believe her claim, but I listened to some of her music and enjoyed it.

Another easy one. Name the composer.

Pablo de Sarasate.  ;D (beer was his beverage of choice)

Alternately, someone from the Darmstadt school (ie, more garbage than music).  >:D

Biffo

Charles-Valentin Alkan

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 14, 2019, 09:08:47 AM
This female composer is well known despite having a very small output. She was a complete slapper and pathological liar. Prior to her marriage she had a string of passionate but apparently unconsummated relationships with a number of men, all much older than herself. The last of these was her teacher, a well known composer who later married the sister of an even better known composer.

After marriage our composer made up for lost time and threw herself at any passing expressionist painter, architect, poet .... the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker.

A googling of "nymphomaniac composers" yielded no signifcant results. The hunt goes on.  ;D

Ken B

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2019, 10:24:44 AM
A googling of "nymphomaniac composers" yielded no signifcant results. The hunt goes on.  ;D
You insist on a composer? If you broaden your search to include engineers, teachers, waitresses, nurses you'll have more luck.