Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2019, 10:27:31 AM
Indeed. ALuminum CAN

Confession,  I googled 'jewish composers' then kicked myself when I saw one of my favourite composers of piano music on the first page.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 14, 2019, 10:29:42 AM
You insist on a composer? If you broaden your search to include engineers, teachers, waitresses, nurses you'll have more luck.

Yes, as of late this thread has gone astray. Name a composer whom not even the Devil has heard of but whose second cousin had a somewhat famous affair with a waiter whose great great-uncle wrote a book about the most famous fortune teller of the composer's country of adoption. 
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Alma Maria Mahler Gropius Werfel (born Alma Margaretha Maria Schindler)

Daughter Anna married Ernst Krenek, sculpted a bust of Bruno Walter.

I'm still on the hunt for the butcher, the baker and the mailman.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Christo

I was posting the same name: Alma Mahler, step-father Carlo Moll, daugther Anna Justine Mahler (the sculptor) ETC. But Andrei should continue.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: San Antone on March 14, 2019, 11:01:38 AM
Alma Mahler was part of my first challenge question, and definitely had an active love life. But I am confused since Zemlinsky's sister married Arnold Schoenberg but the hint does not to match up with that scenario, since Zemlinsky was not better known than Schoenberg.
Exactly the same consideration kept me from yelling 'Alma' at first sight.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

After all the integral-serialist-triple-counterpoint-on-an-inverted-dodecaphonic-canon-style intricacies of the latest quizes, this one should be a piece of cake.

Name a work and the composer following these visual hints.

Biffo

Sorry,  got the sister the wrong way round.

Bruno Walter was not the conductor I was thinking of. Anna heard him conduct Mahler 2 and preferred his interpretation to that of BW. If she also made a bust of Walter, many apologies.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2019, 11:19:50 AM
After all the integral-serialist-triple-counterpoint-on-an-inverted-dodecaphonic-canon-style intricacies of the latest quizes, this one should be a piece of cake.

Sheep - its fans
Stones - cannot get satisfaction from it

So far, La Mer, whic fits the harbor too.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 14, 2019, 11:19:50 AM

Shepherd Jagger, The Emperor's Shoe Oil

listener

The Shepherd on the Rock   Franz [Beckenstrasser) Schubert (Shoe Berth)
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Florestan

Quote from: listener on March 14, 2019, 10:53:57 PM
The Shepherd on the Rock   Franz Schubert (Shoe Berth)

Correct. Your turn.

listener

My composer-conductor remembered his homeland with a symphony written while touring, one of the movements is a reminiscence of one of the visited ports so its name is somewhat misleading.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Christo

Alf Hurum perhaps?

Christo

listener

Maybe there's more than one correct answer, the one I'm looking for suffered a loss of reputation when the remark of the conductor of a later work to the effect of "Long live Sousa" was misheard as a call for support of revolution.

Christo

Quote from: listener on March 15, 2019, 08:29:50 AM
Maybe there's more than one correct answer, the one I'm looking for suffered a loss of reputation when the remark of the conductor of a later work to the effect of "Long live Sousa" was misheard as a call for support of revolution.
Matthijs Vermeulen & Cornelis Dopper, of course!

listener

RIGHT!  The  scherzo of the "Amsterdam" Symphony (#6) is a reminiscence of Vancouver's Chinatown which was near by when he visited with the Savage Opera Company.

Christo

Quote from: listener on March 15, 2019, 09:07:36 AM
RIGHT!  The  scherzo of the "Amsterdam" Symphony (#6) is a reminiscence of Vancouver's Chinatown which was near by when he visited with the Savage Opera Company.
Good to learn (didn't know  ;D). Cornelis Dopper's hometown, however, was the provincial town of Stadskanaal, where six years ago I attended the - rather belated - premiere of his 1934 Requiem (for soloists, choir and orchestra). His symphonies are OKish, IMHO, No. 7 perhaps most, but one piece really stands out and should be a curtain riser: the Ciaconna Gotica, a set of fantastic variations for orchestra (1919).

listener

Quote from: Christo on March 15, 2019, 10:18:42 AM
Good to learn (didn't know  ;D). Cornelis Dopper's hometown, however, was the provincial town of Stadskanaal,.

Which is why I used the word "homeland".

your turn...

Christo

OK. One of the legendary stories in Shostakovich' Testimony, if Solomon Volkov can be trusted,  8) is about a pianist. One day Stalin heard a live concert on the radio with one of his favourite pieces and ordered for the record of it by this specific artist - which he thought he had heard - to be brought to his dacha near Moscow. No one dared tell him that there was no such disc and the pianist and a bunch of orchestra players were hurriedly convened in a recording studio. The third consecutive conductor (the first two overwhelmed by the stress) managed to complete a recording well into the night. A single disc was produced and brought to Stalin's dacha early in the morning. The story goes that it lay on Stalin's turntable when he suffered his stroke in 1953.

Name the piece and the artist - and what she wrote Stalin to thank him for the gift he had bestowed on her.  ;D