Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 16, 2019, 09:57:37 AM
Is exactly the answer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Godowsky

I know that Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources, but still I have to ask: where does it say Godowsky had stage fright? It describes him as a "virtuoso". Which virtuoso ever had stage fright? ;D
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

JBS

Quote from: Florestan on March 16, 2019, 10:45:49 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopold_Godowsky

I know that Wikipedia is not the most accurate of sources, but still I have to ask: where does it say Godowsky had stage fright? It describes him as a "virtuoso". Which virtuoso ever had stage fright? ;D

I don't always use Wikipedia!
https://www.cmuse.org/famous-classical-musicians-who-suffered-from-stage-fright/

BTW, your message inbox is full again.

Hollywood Beach Broadwalk

Florestan

Quote from: JBS on March 16, 2019, 10:50:18 AM
your message inbox is full again.

Not any more.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Jo498

Quote from: Ken B on March 16, 2019, 10:42:08 AM
Fireworks - Firebird - From Russia with Love
The associations are too loose but one of these links is basically correct.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Jo498

Quote from: Christo on March 16, 2019, 10:40:57 AM
John Addison composed the music for A Bridge To Far, in which Sean Connery playes the rol of Major General Urquhart (commander at the bridge; I'm living in that neighbourhood). Addison studied oboe with Leon Goossens, the great oboist. Handel was also an oboist in his early years and always writes for the oboe with great ingenuity. Four steps.  :P
The composer is far better known than Addison. The connections I am looking are mostly a little tighter although this is of course debatable. The movie I am looking for is some more iconic in the career of Connery.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Ken B

Quote from: Jo498 on March 16, 2019, 12:02:00 PM
The associations are too loose but one of these links is basically correct.
Actually all the links are correct and by "loose" you simply mean "not the ones I had in mind".

Jo498

Yes, of course. As I am the one who asked the riddle, the point is precisely to find out what I had mind. But you certainly knew this before, smartie.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

Quote from: Jo498 on March 16, 2019, 12:05:43 PM
The composer is far better known than Addison. The connections I am looking are mostly a little tighter although this is of course debatable. The movie I am looking for is some more iconic in the career of Connery.)
Sean Connery was the narrator in a 1966 recording of Peter and the Wolf, conducted by Antal Dorati (here on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqgRJY7YThSvoXTow8Xh1CChBPe6APO4d). Moving forward from Handel to Prokofiev can be done in any two or three steps you wish - but I see that you now add an iconic Sean Connery movie to your requirements.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Ken B

Well I do think Fireworks Firebird is fair. Balanchine. Connery I read wrote a ballet that Balanchine read.

Hmm I also see Connery studied dance and ballet with Yat Malmgren, a Swedish ballet dancer.

Ken B

Quote from: San Antone on March 16, 2019, 12:36:35 PM
Handel (Belshazzar) - Walton (Belshazzar's Feast) - Walton (Henry V) - Connery (The Man Who Would be King)
That last is a leap but I like this chain!

Jo498

Handel (Belshazzar) - Walton (Belshazzar's Feast) - Walton (Henry V) - Connery (The Man Who Would be King)
This is quite good but I have a considerably easier one in mind.

I did not "add more iconic movie" to the requirements. I gave this as an additional hint after one suggestion had been made.

The loosest step is the next from Handel, the rest is very straightforward. The type of connection is
historical-theatrical - theatrical - theatrical-familial - theatrical (in the wide sense that theatre, opera, movies, ballett could all be included).
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

Handel's opera Giulio Cesare (1724) was based on Shakespeare, as are Romeo and Juliet & the accidental music for Hamlet by Prokofiev, who also composed Peter and the Wolf,  that was recorded in 1966 with Sean Connery as the narrator.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Jo498

You already forgot that it involves a famous movie not Peter and the Wolf.
And Handel's Caesar is not based on Shakespeare.
The first connection is hard to make more precise without giving it away (despite being somewhat vague). The second one is roughly "x wrote piece based on y", the third I cannot make more precise without giving it away. The fourth is "acted in a movie together with".
So now it's probably easier working historically backwards.
- Blaise Pascal

Christo

In the Robin Hood movie Robin and Marian (1976), Sean Connery's partner is Audrey Hepburn, who played Natasha Rostov in War and Peace, based on Tolstoy's novel that was also used for Prokofiev's opera War and Peace - Sean Connery the narrator in the 1966 production of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf BTW  :D - &tc.  ;D

listener

Handel Water Music, Bridge over Troubled Water, A Bridge Too Far, Sean Connery (in A Bridge too Far...)  ?
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Ken B

Quote from: listener on March 16, 2019, 03:53:23 PM
Handel Water Music, Bridge over Troubled Water, A Bridge Too Far, Sean Connery (in A Bridge too Far...)  ?

Handel, Coronation Anthems; Connery, The Man Who Would Be King

Jo498

Quote from: Jo498 on March 16, 2019, 01:13:28 PM
The first connection is that of contemporary artist active in a similar artistic field with a famous piece that bears both general connections to one of the main genres of Handel as well as a more specific one related to a particular occurence that involved major performers of certain Handelian pieces (this last one might not make it easier).
The second one is roughly "Well known 20th century composer wrote music for piece based on y",
the third is twofold with both a personal relation to well known 20th century composer and professional (like performing in the piece of the step before)
The fourth is "person of step before acted in a movie together with Sean Connery". The movie was already mentioned further above and it's more famous than the one with the bridge.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

The Threepenny Opera was (partly) a parody of the kind of opera Handel wrote.
Kurt Well wrote a version of the above
Lotte Lenya sang in the Weill piece
She also appeared with Connery in From Russia with Love as Rosa Klebb

Jo498

Exactly. The parody was actually called "Beggar's Opera" by John Gay.
Apart from generally making fun of opera seria it contained a scene with fighting female protagonists based on the competition of two primadonne (Cuzzoni and Bordoni) and their fans. Lotte Lenya was married to Weill and also performed in the Threepenny opera.

I think I am not going to put any quizzes anymore as I apparently cannot find the proper questions for this audience.
- Blaise Pascal