Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: Jo498 on March 18, 2019, 05:57:38 AM
Exactly. The parody was actually called "Beggar's Opera" by John Gay.
Apart from generally making fun of opera seria it contained a scene with fighting female protagonists based on the competition of two primadonne (Cuzzoni and Bordoni) and their fans. Lotte Lenya was married to Weill and also performed in the Threepenny opera.

I think I am not going to put any quizzes anymore as I apparently cannot find the proper questions for this audience.

Sorry, should have remembered the correct title, my head was spinning by the time I had read the question half-a-dozen times. I have Britten's tarted up version of Gay. Also vaguely remembered some romantic connection between LL and KW - didn't realise they were married.

Biffo

Something a bit easier.

This opera was written by a committee. One of the contributors is very well known. Another contributor, as well as being a composer, was a singer and instrumentalist. He is probably best known for appearing in an opera by the well known composer where he was able to display both his performance skills. Name the composers, operas and any other members of the committee - two of them have a connection with the second opera as well.

Christo

Quote from: Jo498 on March 18, 2019, 05:57:38 AM
I think I am not going to put any quizzes anymore as I apparently cannot find the proper questions for this audience.

Nothing wrong AT ALL with your puzzle; I loved it and do hope you will continue to make them. Feel very sorry if we can't deal with the fun & confusion of it!  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

Quote from: Biffo on March 18, 2019, 06:40:46 AM
This opera was written by a committee. One of the contributors is very well known. Another contributor, as well as being a composer, was a singer and instrumentalist. He is probably best known for appearing in an opera by the well known composer where he was able to display both his performance skills. Name the composers, operas and any other members of the committee - two of them have a connection with the second opera as well.
The only opera written by a collective that I know - I was thinking about it immediately - is Reconstructie (1968) about Che Guevarra, written by Louis Andriessen, Reinbert de Leeuw, Misha Mengelberg, Peter Schat, Jan van Vlijmen, with a libretto by Hugo Claus and Harry Mulisch. Louis Andriessen wrote a couple of other operas. Good start?  ???
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 06:40:36 AM
My best guess:

Der Stein der Weisen, oder die Zauberinsel (German for The Philosopher's Stone, or the Enchanted Isle) is a two-act singspiel jointly composed by Johann Baptist Henneberg, Benedikt Schack, Franz Xaver Gerl, Emanuel Schikaneder, and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in 1790 (K. 592a). Benedikt Emanuel Schack was a composer and tenor of the Classical era, a close friend of Mozart and the first performer of the role of Tamino in Mozart's opera The Magic Flute.

That's the one I was looking for,  never heard of the other two possibilities but thanks for the effort.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 07:41:04 AM
Probably pretty easy compared to the recent challenges - but, here's mine:

As a university student the subject of this challenge and three other amateur musicians devoted themselves to studying and performing the literature for piano trio and piano quartet.  The ensemble focused on the works of Mozart, Beethoven, Ries, Dussek and Onslow but the mainstay of the group's repertory was a specific piano trio by a famous composer.

Although he continued his university studies (which was a stipulation of his inheritance) his focus shifted entirely to music and he is known to us as a composer.

Name the composer and the famous piano trio.

Was he a Frenchman?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Ken B

Inheritance suggest Poulenc. Fame suggests Archduke Trio

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2019, 09:57:19 AM
Was he a Frenchman?
Who else would perform Onslow?  :D

Ken B

Quote from: Christo on March 19, 2019, 10:12:58 AM
Who else would perform Onslow?  :D
Everything I have heard by Onslow has been excellent.

Florestan

A hint about his nationality would be most helpful. As for the time, I suspect the second half of the 19C.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 10:38:06 AM
The nationality of the famous composer of the piano trio (of whom the future composer was a great admirer) was Austrian.

Haydn's Gypsy?

You are off regarding the time period.

20C, then (I guess the first half of the 19C is out of the question).

Our composer played the piano or the violin?

Ken B

Not many famous trios. It would have a name.

Ghost Trio by LvB

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 19, 2019, 12:12:16 PM
Not many famous trios. It would have a name.

Ghost Trio by LvB

The trio's composer is Austrian and not Haydn. Therefore, Mozart or Schubert.

Jo498

It's a Schubert trio (I suspected this from the beginning) but I have no clue about the composer.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 12:25:19 PM
Another hint, time period is within a year or two of the famous composer dying, young.

Schubert, around 1830.

You don't mean the composer is Schumann, do you?  :laugh:

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 19, 2019, 12:17:29 PM
The trio's composer is Austrian and not Haydn. Therefore, Mozart or Schubert.
Or Hummel

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 19, 2019, 10:17:03 AM
Everything I have heard by Onslow has been excellent.

Ditto.

Biffo

I deduced Schumann fairly quickly yesterday (law studies, inheritance) but could find no reference to him playing piano trios by Schubert or anyone else - biographical details online are surprisingly thin for a major composer. Now it seems the trio in question is by Schubert - how about Piano Trio No 2 in E flat major, D 929. If that is wrong I'll let someone else guess the other one.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 20, 2019, 01:52:30 AM
I deduced Schumann fairly quickly yesterday (law studies, inheritance) but could find no reference to him playing piano trios by Schubert or anyone else - biographical details online are surprisingly thin for a major composer.

And Onslow? Was he known outside France?

Now it seems the trio in question is by Schubert - how about Piano Trio No 2 in E flat major, D 929. If that is wrong I'll let someone else guess the other one.

Well, if it's not D 929 then it should be D 898. Or even D 897.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 19, 2019, 12:57:27 PM
It is Schubert, but he died in 1828.

I know. I was referring to the time Schumann played it.