Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biffo

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2019, 01:35:56 AM
So sue me, but I am going to put forward a challenge out of order - probably easy

This composer was not spectacularly gifted nor a prodigy but he possessed a work ethic that made up for any lack of innate talent. He excelled in symphonic as well as chamber music.  It might be easy to think that two younger contemporaries overshadowed him, but he is a major figure and his entire oeuvre is available in recordings.

First thought - Max Bruch

Florestan

Vincent d'Indy?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2019, 07:06:22 AM
This composer studied in his home country with three of her most famous composers and teachers. He wrote a ballet in which the most famous three dancers of the same country performed. He then went on to study abroad, in a city where he met a famous poet and a famous painter and wrote music for the latter's attempt at experimental theatre.

Back in his country he met another composer whose fame rests on another field though. Together they composed music inspired by, and in the service of, that other field. This music has been recorded in its entirety.

Both these composers were born in the same country and both had different ethnic backgrounds than the majority of their fellow countrymen.

Name them.

Getting nowhere with this.

Seem to have gone down a blind alley considering Spanich/Catalan composers. Misread the posting so wasted time on Cocteau. Examined the various luminaries of the Ballets russes (including Picasso) to no avail.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 03:31:54 AM
Getting nowhere with this.

Seem to have gone down a blind alley considering Spanich/Catalan composers. Misread the posting so wasted time on Cocteau. Examined the various luminaries of the Ballets russes (including Picasso) to no avail.

In one aspect you're getting warm in the last sentence.

The painter and the composers were fellow countrymen. They all died abroad, two of them in the same town.

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 03:44:12 AM
In one aspect you're getting warm in the last sentence.

The painter and the composers were fellow countrymen. They all died abroad, two of them in the same town.

Manuel de Falla sort of fits some of this. He worked in Paris and died in exile in Argentina. El amor brujo, a mixture of song and dance, was written for Pastora Imperio and performed by her and her brother Victor Rojas in Madrid (1915). Later a revised version was performed in Paris. El sombrero de tres picos was written for  Diaghilev and performed in London with sets by Picasso.

Stlll  no idea about the other composer and the music written in Spain by both of them.

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 03:55:25 AM
Manuel de Falla sort of fits some of this. He worked in Paris and died in exile in Argentina. El amor brujo, a mixture of song and dance, was written for Pastora Imperio and performed by her and her brother Victor Rojas in Madrid (1915). Later a revised version was performed in Paris. El sombrero de tres picos was written for  Diaghilev and performed in London with sets by Picasso.

Stlll  no idea about the other composer and the music written in Spain by both of them.

This is as cold as ice. 

In the last sentence of your preceding post there is a word that hopefully will put you on the right track --- a word, mind you, not a name.

Florestan

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 03:58:38 AM
This is as cold as ice. 

In the last sentence of your preceding post there is a word that hopefully will put you on the right track --- a word, mind you, not a name.

Well it hasn't.

One last question before I give up: Is jazz the connection between the two composers?

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 04:56:59 AM
Well it hasn't.

One last question before I give up: Is jazz the connection between the two composers?

No, not jazz. And don't give up: the key word is russes  ;)

Jo498

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2019, 05:00:08 AM
As a teacher, there were some complaints.

"I never learned anything with Haydn!"
- L.v. Beethoven
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 05:01:05 AM
No, not jazz. And don't give up: the key word is russes  ;)

If this means we are back with obscure female Russian composers I really do give up.

Jo498

I think the key to Florestan's question should be the cooperative project of the two composers. (And why female? "her" refers to the country, I think.) I have no idea but such cooperations are comparably rare.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

ritter

I, for one, don't have the foggiest idea of what Florestan is trying to get at. He said "warmer" about the word russes, but does that mean someone is Russian in the riddle?

Once again, the questions go like this: "I composed some music, had a friend, lived in one city and then in another, and once drank a glass of wine at a bar. Who am I?"  ::) :D

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 25, 2019, 05:42:44 AM
I think the key to Florestan's question should be the cooperative project of the two composers.

Yes. And in the project music was important but not the main goal.

(And why female? "her" refers to the country, I think.)

Indeed. Both composers were men.

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 05:54:59 AM
I, for one, don't have the foggiest idea of what Florestan is trying to get at. He said "warmer" about the word russes, but does that mean someone is Russian in the riddle?

Oh my God! You still didn't get that all three (the two composers and the painter) were Russian?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 05:54:59 AM
Once again, the questions go like this: "I composed some music, had a friend, lived in one city and then in another, and once drank a glass of wine at a bar. Who am I?"  ::) :D

Not at all. In that case I would have asked you to name the bar.  ;D

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 22, 2019, 07:06:22 AM
This composer studied in his home country with three of her most famous composers and teachers. He wrote a ballet in which the most famous three dancers of the same country performed. He then went on to study abroad, in a city where he met a famous poet and a famous painter and wrote music for the latter's attempt at experimental theatre.

Back in his country he met another composer whose fame rests on another field though. Together they composed music inspired by, and in the service of, that other field. This music has been recorded in its entirety.

Both these composers were born in the same country and both had different ethnic backgrounds than the majority of their fellow countrymen.

Name them.

Prokofiev and Eisenstein.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 25, 2019, 06:31:43 AM
Prokofiev and Eisenstein.

Was Eisenstein a composer? He doesn't even fit in the role of the painter. Was Prokofiev a non-Russiian ethnically?

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 06:33:13 AM
Was Eisenstein a composer? He doesn't even fit in the role of the painter. Was Prokofiev a non-Russiian ethnically?
He was. He was Ukrainian.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 25, 2019, 06:34:38 AM
He was. He was Ukrainian.

If you put it this way, then the two composers' ethnical background was not in nations belonging to the same language family as the Russian.

ritter

Have exhausted the list of pupils of Rimsky, and not arrived at any result... :(