Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 06:43:28 AM
Have exhausted the list of pupils of Rimsky, and not arrived at any result... :(

The list you consulted is obviously not complete.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Time for giving them away, it seems.

ritter

Gurdjieff and de Hartmann?

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 06:59:53 AM
Gurdjieff and de Hartmann?

Yep. Did you have an epiphany?  :D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 06:53:55 AM
Time for giving them away, it seems.

I'm confused. Isn't the painting by Kandinsky?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Florestan

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 25, 2019, 07:02:09 AM
I'm confused. Isn't the painting by Kandinsky?

It's the cover of the Blaue Reiter Almanac, in which Thomas de Hartmann published an article titled "Anarchy in Music". He composed the music for Kandinsky's Der Gelbe Klang.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_de_Hartmann

http://www.gurdjieff.org/mangan1.htm

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 07:00:18 AM
Yep. Did you have an epiphany?  :D
Kinda....but, to paraphrase good ol' Pierre: "I thought we were talking about composers".  :D

It was the Blaue Reiter that did it, which led to Kandinsky, and the rest is history. It's de Hartmann who studied with Rimsky et al., no? I think that other guy didn't have any formal musical training...

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 06:38:21 AM
If you put it this way, then the two composers' ethnical background was not in nations belonging to the same language family as the Russian.
But, but .... Gurdjieff was Greek-Armenian: both Indo-European languages and as such 'belonging to the same language family as the Russian'. For that reason, I was looking after Estonian composer Artur Kapp, who cooperated with composer-author Julius Kaljuvee.  ;D
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 25, 2019, 07:07:27 AM
But, but .... Gurdjieff was Greek-Armenian: both Indo-European languages and as such 'belonging to the same language family as the Russian'. For that reason, I was looking after Estonian composer Artur Kapp, who cooperated with composer-author Julius Kaljuvee.  ;D

Neither Greek nor Armenian is a Slavic language.

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 07:07:11 AM
Kinda....but, to paraphrase good ol' Pierre: "I thought we were talking about composers".  :D

It was the Blaue Reiter that did it, which led to Kandinsky, and the rest is history. It's de Hartmann who studied with Rimsky et al., no?

Yes. His ballet The Pink Flower was performed by Vaslav Nijinsky, Michel Fokine and Anna Pavlova.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 07:09:15 AM
Neither Greek nor Armenian is a Slavic language.
Slavic is not a language family, but only a group within the language family, like Greek and like Armenian: all of them part of the Indo-European language family (unlike Estonian, which is Finno-Ugric or Uralic, if you like. Shown in a simple map:

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

ritter

Florestan, you should know better by now than discuss geography and that kind of things with our dear Christo:D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 07:17:16 AM
Florestan, you should know better by now than discuss geography and that kind of things with our dear Christo:D

Actually, he gave me an excellent idea. Next time I'll pick up an Icelandic composer and give as hint for his language a photo of Yerevan.  ;D

ritter

A quick one:

One of my works was praised through the roof by a very famous author, when said author saw it in a theatre in a country which was not home either to him or to me. Nowadays, I'm almost completely forgotten (although at least two of my works--including that highly praised one--have been recorded). To be honest, my only remaining claim to fame is being mentioned by the famous author.

Who am I?

Florestan

I presume the very famous author is not Charles Burney, although he looks like a good candidate.

Christo

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 07:17:16 AM
The point is, with his hint about the language family, he excluded all of Rimsky's students with the exception of two Estonians: Rudolf Tobias and Artur Kapp, AFAIK. I was naturally digging up their most hidden secrets.  :D

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 07:21:52 AM
One of my works was praised through the roof by a very famous author, when said author saw it in a theatre in a country which was not home either to him or to me. Nowadays, I'm almost completely forgotten (although at least two of my works--including that highly praised one--have been recorded). To be honest, my only remaining claim to fame is being mentioned by the famous author. Who am I?

Giovanni Pacini?

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 07:29:19 AM
I presume the very famous author is not Charles Burney, although he looks like a good candidate.
Non, il n'est pas M. Burney;)  To be honest, he's infinitely more famous that Burney, who I must confess I had never even heard of until today.

The famous author was recently mentioned in the "favourite villains" thread on GMG.
Quote from: Christo on March 25, 2019, 07:31:52 AM
The point is, with his hint about the language family, he excluded all of Rimsky's students with the exception of two Estonians: Rudolf Tobias and Artur Kapp, AFAIK. I was naturally digging up their most hidden secrets.  :D
Ah, yes, they both hail form one of the, what was it?, 10 Baltic states.  ;)
Giovanni Pacini?
Close, but not quite. Pacini is mega-famous compared to the composer we're looking for..

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 07:36:22 AM
The famous author was recently mentioned in the "favourite villains" thread on GMG.

What obscure composer did Goethe praise to the roof?  ???

ritter

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 10:31:06 AM
What obscure composer did Goethe praise to the roof?  ???
Seit wann ist Goethe ein Franzose;) But he did have something in common with our author, their love for this:

Next hint: Not only was the famous author mentioned in the "villains" thread, one of his books deals with music (actually, with one composer). That composer was far more famous (far more!) than the one we're looking for. This other composer was from the country in which the author listened to the highly-praised work, but died in the author's home country.

This must have given everything away... ::)

Ken B

John Hullah, Dickens