Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Hullah (a name completely unknown to me until now) was English, as was Dickens. Remember, our mystery composer and our mystery author hailed from different countries, and the highly-praised work was seen onstage by the author in yet another country.

One correction: It turns out the mystery composer was born in the country (as we know it today) where the performance of the work made such a strong impression on the famous author. But his family hailed from a neighbouring country (which usually claims the composer as one of their own). Sorry for this.  :-[

Biffo

I mentioned Stendahl in the Villains thread. He wrote a life of Rossini. For a time he was French consul in Trieste, a city that has changed hands more than once. Perhaps our mystery composer is from that city ..... or Slovenia,  or Italy,  or Austria usw.

Ken B

Shaw praised Raff to the skies. But Raff is no longer so obscure.
Thomas Mann wrote a book about a composer who is famous, but I have no idea what obscure work he might have praised.

ritter

Quote from: Biffo on March 25, 2019, 01:19:14 PM
I mentioned Stendahl in the Villains thread. He wrote a life of Rossini. For a time he was French consul in Trieste, a city that has changed hands more than once. Perhaps our mystery composer is from that city ..... or Slovenia,  or Italy,  or Austria usw.
Stendhal is right...But he saw the opera (yes, it's an opera) in Milan. As mentioned above, my mystery composer was actually born in Itsly, but his family hailed from a neighbouring country which is not Austria, nor Slovenia, nor France...

We're almost there!  :) 

ritter

This is what Stendhal had to say about that opera:

"His work is the firmest, the most inflamed, the most dramatic I've ever heard. There is not a moment of languor".

Ken B

ritter

Quote from: Ken B on March 25, 2019, 01:36:27 PM
Sarro
Metastasio was a poet AFAIK, and I cannot find anything linking Stendhal with Domenico Sarro (who died some 40 years before Stendhal was born).

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
Seit wann ist Goethe ein Franzose;)

In you original post you did not specify tha author was French nor gave any hint in this direction.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 01:30:59 PM
Stendhal is right...But he saw the opera (yes, it's an opera) in Milan. As mentioned above, my mystery composer was actually born in Itsly, but his family hailed from a neighbouring country which is not Austria, nor Slovenia, nor France...

We're almost there!  :)

Switzerland then. Is he listed here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronological_list_of_Italian_classical_composers

Yes, he is. Carlo Soliva.

Christo

Carlo Soliva, La testa di bronzo (1816)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 25, 2019, 10:35:36 PM
He is.  :D

I edited my post while you typed yours. You beat me to it by a few seconds. :D

Florestan

Quote from: ritter on March 25, 2019, 11:05:44 AM
Not only was the famous author mentioned in the "villains" thread, one of his books deals with music (actually, with one composer).

Actually, at least two of his books deals with music and three composers, not one. Here's a quiz for you: name the books and the composers.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 10:39:23 PM
I edited my post while you typed yours. You beat me to it by a few seconds. :D
I saw your list only after I posted his name - Stendhal was my clue (I'm not that much into early 19th c Swiss-Italian opera).  8)
(I actually beat you by almost two minutes: my 02:33:57 versus you clocking 02:35:52).  >:D

Happily, we're able to share Stendhal's enthusiasm:
https://www.youtube.com/v/I0mSgTIhIWg&list=RDI0mSgTIhIWg&start_radio=1&t=41

ritter

Yes! Carlo Evasio Soliva's La Testa di Bronzo (libretto by Felice Romani). I believe it's Christo's turn... :) Well done!

When Stendhal saw at La Scala in Milan, he said "That little Soliva has the scanty figure of a man of genius".

The work has been recorded. It is quite charming (I was listening to it again last night):

[asin]B000027J8G[/asin]

The only other work by Soliva that has been recorded AKAIK is Giulia e Sesto Pompeo.

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 10:24:35 PM
In you original post you did not specify tha author was French nor gave any hint in this direction.
But I answered in French after your guess of an Englishman. Thought that would be seen as a clue to the writer's nationality.  ;)

Quote from: Florestan on March 25, 2019, 10:41:26 PM
Actually, at least two of his books deals with music and three composers, not one. Here's a quiz for you: name the books and the composers.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Having read (and enjoyed) Vie de Rossini many years ago, I had forgotten about the book dealing with Haydn, Mozart and Metastasio (which I haven't read :-[).

Christo

OK. A quick one: this composer from another country joined Bartók during one of his famous field trips in order to learn the trade from him. Both, in their later scientific records of the expedition (which I read) came to a comparable conclusion: the typical pentatonicism of the folk music they found pointed towards a common origin (with Hungarian folk music) in Central Asia. He created an impressive oeuvre not unlike that of Bartók, his inspirator. Who is this national composer - and which region did they explore together?  ::)

Florestan

Ahmed Adnan Saygun, Anatolia.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2019, 01:09:16 AM
Ahmed Adnan Saygun, Anatolia.
The young Saygun it was, in November 1936, and together they explored the music of the mountain dwellers of the Osmaniye region (not exactly Anatolia but further South-East):

Your turn.  ;D

Florestan

I removed my quiz as it contained a factual error which I spotted right after posting and could find no way of correcting it whuile preserving the quiz. I'll have to think about a new one but don't have time right now. If anyone else wants to play, feel free to do it.