Quiz.

Started by Irons, January 19, 2019, 11:54:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2019, 01:54:04 AM
I removed my quiz as it contained a factual error* which I spotted right after posting and could find no way of correcting it whuile preserving the quiz. I'll have to think about a new one but don't have time right now. If anyone else wants to play, feel free to do it.
* Like 'Russian, Armenian and Greek don't belong to the same language family'?  ??? :laugh:
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 26, 2019, 01:57:44 AM
* Like 'Russian, Armenian and Greek don't belong to the same language family'?  ??? :laugh:

I now officially proclaim you the GMG obsessive-hairsplitter-and-nitpicker in residence.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2019, 02:03:55 AM
I now officially proclaim you the GMG obsessive-hairsplitter-and-nitpicker in residence.
Thanks, feel honoured. In Dutch it's called a miereneuker, which translates as 'Ameisenbumser' (German) or 'ant f***er', BTW.
That said, which contemporary composer wrote a symphony in which these little creatures are dancing on war music? Name both.  ::)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 26, 2019, 02:49:11 AM
Thanks, feel honoured. In Dutch it's called a miereneuker, which translates as 'Ameisenbumser' (German) or 'ant f***er', BTW.

You should however ponder the fact that this behavior is amusing for a while but exhibited in continuous manner it becomes annoying.

Christo

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2019, 03:56:31 AM
You should however ponder the fact that this behavior is amusing for a while but exhibited in continuous manner it becomes annoying.
Did I ever misbehave??? Really? (Apparently you can't bear being caught for such a mistake - but that's just part of this game and nothing else).   ;D

Florestan

TD

This composer, born in a city which currently lies in a different country than back then, was a child prodigy pianist. The list of those who praised him looks like a brief who's who in piano playing and teaching at the time. A famous composer-pianist accepted him as pupil although in so doing he broke two of his teaching rules. The same composer praised him in the warmest, most emotional terms. Starting at 13 he gave concerts in three very important cities, to great acclaim. Yet today his music is rarely, if ever, performed and recorded --- for a reason. Name the composer and the reason. As a bonus, name the rules the famous composer broke.

Florestan

Quote from: Christo on March 26, 2019, 04:11:32 AM
Did I ever misbehave??? Really?

I didn't say that. One can be annoying without misbehaving.

(Apparently you can't bear being caught for such a mistake - but that's just part of this game and nothing else).   ;D

And just what such grave mistake have I done? From my post and its immediate context (Ukrainian-born Prokofiev) anyone for whom hairsplitting-cum-nitpicking is not a second nature would have correctly inferred that the languages I referred to were not Slavic. Or perhaps you would contend that Russian is related to Ukrainian in just the same way it is related to Greek or Armenian? It's like my saying that Paris doesn't lie in the vicinity of Riga, and your retorting that yes it does since both lie in Europe and if you look at the world's map they are actually much closer than Ushuaia and Ulan-Bator.

Whatever.

Florestan

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2019, 01:35:56 AM
This composer was not spectacularly gifted nor a prodigy but he possessed a work ethic that made up for any lack of innate talent. He excelled in symphonic as well as chamber music.  It might be easy to think that two younger contemporaries overshadowed him, but he is a major figure and his entire oeuvre is available in recordings.

Joseph Marx?

Ken B

Ken B

A major publication named me "the worst composer", but that is nonsense since I never lived in Darmstadt. I admired Bach and Mozart...

Florestan

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2019, 03:36:01 AM
A major publication named me "the worst composer", but that is nonsense since I never lived in Darmstadt. I admired Bach and Mozart...

Probably not Sibelius.

Ken B

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2019, 03:48:48 AM
Haydn, not spectacularly gifted?
Not compared to Mozart and beethoven, no. And the work ethic fits as does complete works recorded.

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2019, 04:32:03 AM
Not compared to Mozart and beethoven, no. And the work ethic fits as does complete works recorded.

Okay but then again how about "lack of innate talent"? Does Haydn fit in that too?

Biffo

How many quizzes are going on here?

Florestan

Quote from: Biffo on March 27, 2019, 04:59:16 AM
How many quizzes are going on here?

Currently, two I think.

Quote from: Florestan on March 26, 2019, 04:12:30 AM
This composer, born in a city which currently lies in a different country than back then, was a child prodigy pianist. The list of those who praised him looks like a brief who's who in piano playing and teaching at the time. A famous composer-pianist accepted him as pupil although in so doing he broke two of his teaching rules. The same composer praised him in the warmest, most emotional terms. Starting at 13 he gave concerts in three very important cities, to great acclaim. Yet today his music is rarely, if ever, performed and recorded --- for a reason. Name the composer and the reason. As a bonus, name the rules the famous composer broke.

Plus an older one, unsolved yet:

Quote from: San Antone on March 25, 2019, 01:35:56 AM
This composer was not spectacularly gifted nor a prodigy but he possessed a work ethic that made up for any lack of innate talent. He excelled in symphonic as well as chamber music.  It might be easy to think that two younger contemporaries overshadowed him, but he is a major figure and his entire oeuvre is available in recordings.

Biffo

Quote from: Florestan on March 27, 2019, 05:31:49 AM
Currently, two I think.

Plus an older one, unsolved yet:

Thank you.

Ken B

Florestan

Quote from: Ken B on March 27, 2019, 05:59:00 AM
He wrote solo cello suites

Max Reger?

Oh, that's the third one. I forgot to inform Biffo about it, sorry.  :)

Biffo

Boccherini - answer for any of the quizzes