horrible personal concert performace experience

Started by маразм1, August 24, 2007, 05:26:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m_gigena

Quote from: Bonehelm on August 25, 2007, 12:07:30 AM
That's actually freaking hilarious.

It also happened to Vengerov during the Dvorak concerto, he rapidly assaulted the concertmaster and everything went fine.

@marazm1,
with such a profile, you should never play the piano.

маразм1

Quote from: aquariuswb on September 09, 2007, 08:37:01 PM
What kind of guitar is it? What type of bridge?

I have les paul, but the bridge is custom tremolo one (stetsbar.com)  It is the same as gibson's tune-o-matic.

маразм1

Quote from: Manuel on September 10, 2007, 05:38:51 AM
It also happened to Vengerov during the Dvorak concerto, he rapidly assaulted the concertmaster and everything went fine.

@marazm1,
with such a profile, you should never play the piano.

Has anybody actually popped piano strings???  those last for 50 years! haha

aquablob

Quote from: marazm1 on September 10, 2007, 08:34:31 AM
I have les paul, but the bridge is custom tremolo one (stetsbar.com)  It is the same as gibson's tune-o-matic.

I was going to say basically the same thing that Grazioso said about filing down the saddles if necessary. Even on a nice bridge like yours these problems can develop... but since I can't see your guitar, all I can really suggest is taking it to a tech to get it looked at!

m_gigena

Quote from: marazm1 on September 10, 2007, 08:35:26 AM
Has anybody actually popped piano strings???  those last for 50 years! haha

November 24, 1968. Horowitz broke one string while playing the second movement of Rach's second sonata. A strong explosion-like noise is heard, followed by applause. An assistant quickly replaced the string and Horowitz kept on playing.

greg

Quote from: Manuel on September 10, 2007, 02:09:17 PM
November 24, 1968. Horowitz broke one string while playing the second movement of Rach's second sonata. A strong explosion-like noise is heard, followed by applause. An assistant quickly replaced the string and Horowitz kept on playing.
so that must mean his piano was finished being made November 24, 1918.

маразм1

Update:
Ok, so 5 shows, 2 sets a night, no broken strings! 

My new strings of choice are gibson vintage reissue.  They look and feel like they're 10 and a half, even though they say they're 10.  They fell extremely comfortable, and look like they'll withstand anything.  No more slinkies, and other stuff. Using DiAdario felt like if i pushed a little harder, the high e-string would come off the fretboard. 

I feel it's worth paying 2 extra bucks, and being completely worry-free. 

d.

greg

if i were you, i'd get an Ibanez so i could use Super Slinkies  ;)

маразм1

Quote from: greg on October 08, 2007, 08:30:38 AM
if i were you, i'd get an Ibanez so i could use Super Slinkies  ;)

I have an Ibanez as a back-up.  But i really hate them.  In my mind they either make "excellent shred guitars".  But I hate shredding.  And if you don't shred, the guitar sounds like ass (with no distortion).

OR

they make excellent jazz hollow-body guitars. 

Gibson LP is the real guitar. 

aquablob

Quote from: marazm1 on October 08, 2007, 08:45:18 AM
I have an Ibanez as a back-up.  But i really hate them.  In my mind they either make "excellent shred guitars".  But I hate shredding.  And if you don't shred, the guitar sounds like ass (with no distortion).

OR

they make excellent jazz hollow-body guitars. 

Gibson LP is the real guitar. 

I agree about Ibanez, but Gibson LP is too heavy (though it sounds and feels great!).

Schecter C-1 Classic will be my next purchase.

m_gigena

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 09, 2007, 06:58:48 AM
Schecter will be my next purchase.

She is resistent to extreme and unforeseen forces, sure.

маразм1

Quote from: aquariuswb on October 09, 2007, 06:58:48 AM
I agree about Ibanez, but Gibson LP is too heavy (though it sounds and feels great!).

Schecter C-1 Classic will be my next purchase.

Everybody keeps saying its too heavy.  I dont get it.  Carrying it--yes!  It's a bitch.  I get blisters on my hands not from working out but from carrying that thing!  But playing it, I don't notice the weight at all.  I can run around with it, or have long 3 -hr rehearsals with absolutely no problems. 

I even have a regular non-padded strap.  Chicks play that guitar, for goodness sake :) 

d.