Started by bwv 1080, February 07, 2019, 04:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 04, 2020, 04:46:47 PM
I want the thread, I just don't want the hastily made one by an OP who has shown himself to be a troll, and which has already proven fractious, even (gasp) without my participation. And I especially don't like that this is now being treated as a fait accompli, when everyone states they'd prefer something robust but civilized. Which I think would mean setting out certain criteria in the header from the beginning, for example that responses of mere snark, sarcasm and eyerolling won't be tolerated, just as more offensive or insulting language wont be. The current OP has no intention of following his own "keep it classy, I promise I will" header, and has proven it in only three pages. Nothing good can follow from these beginnings.

You may well be right about his having no intention; he rarely makes even a show of good faith.  He may also be incapable, a common failing among the trumpkins.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

arpeggio

I remember when I mentioned several conservatives who were critical of Trump.

One of them referred to these critics as clowns.

I wonder what pejoratives they will apply to Mattis.

greg

I don't get the idea of locking stuff or even blocking/ignoring people (don't even know what the function is called)... never done it once, and I've posted here since before 2006... just too much of an authoritarian action for my taste.

Even the most extreme examples of past members... it's the internet, so we're all on an even playing field. Instead of blocking someone if they are a bully, bully them back, and don't stop until they stop. And as for threads, just let them play out if they get derailed, who cares? You could be me and be getting not enough interest in your threads to even want to post in The Diner. Bleh.
Wagie wagie get back in the cagie

Karl Henning

Quote from: arpeggio on June 04, 2020, 08:55:06 PM
I remember when I mentioned several conservatives who were critical of Trump.

One of them referred to these critics as clowns.

I wonder what pejoratives they will apply to Mattis.

Count on them to display a comparable lack of imagination.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: greg on June 04, 2020, 09:51:03 PM
I don't get the idea of locking stuff or even blocking/ignoring people (don't even know what the function is called)... never done it once, and I've posted here since before 2006... just too much of an authoritarian action for my taste.

Even the most extreme examples of past members... it's the internet, so we're all on an even playing field. Instead of blocking someone if they are a bully, bully them back, and don't stop until they stop. And as for threads, just let them play out if they get derailed, who cares? You could be me and be getting not enough interest in your threads to even want to post in The Diner. Bleh.

If 'The Diner' section of the forum didn't exist, I wouldn't care. It seems, especially lately, that if you want to treat someone like dirt or call them names, insult their intelligence, etc., then this part of the forum is the place to do it without fear of moderator interference. A forum needs guidelines, because if you don't have some rules, then you have chaos. I also disagree with your bullying comments. In my experience, you don't fight fire with fire and yield satisfactory results. If anything, it further alienates both parties and, as a result, could very well lead to members leaving, which we've seen many times before.

greg

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 08:49:43 AM
If 'The Diner' section of the forum didn't exist, I wouldn't care. It seems, especially lately, that if you want to treat someone like dirt or call them names, insult their intelligence, etc., then this part of the forum is the place to do it without fear of moderator interference. A forum needs guidelines, because if you don't have some rules, then you have chaos. I also disagree with your bullying comments. In my experience, you don't fight fire with fire and yield satisfactory results. If anything, it further alienates both parties and, as a result, could very well lead to members leaving, which we've seen many times before.
Well the problem with making everything safe and regulated is the development of the echo chambers which lead to extremist thinking because views go unchallenged. This sort of thing has a greater chance of affecting the real world as well.

I also think that there needs to be places where chaos can run rampant, but within a safe environment, like the internet. Otherwise, people's inner chaos can sometimes spill out into the real world, as well. Safe outlets are good.

You don't fight fire with fire, but you fight it with strong water pressure, if you get what I'm going for.

Karl Henning

Quoteif they are a bully, bully them back, and don't stop until they stop.

Some bullies don't stop until an authority steps in. That is one flaw in your suggestion. Another is that it places the energy burden upon the bullied.  Bullies who are in practice just riff on. Another flaw is requiring a person to engage in behavior he finds objectionable, as a supposed recourse.

A historically poor suggestion on your part.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 05, 2020, 10:46:25 AM
Some bullies don't stop until an authority steps in. That is one flaw in your suggestion. Another is that it places the energy burden upon the bullied.  Bullies who are in practice just riff on. Another flaw is requiring a person to engage in behavior he finds objectionable, as a supposed recourse.

+ 1 I can only nod my head in agreement, Karl.

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 10:51:24 AM
+ 1 I can only nod my head in agreement, Karl.

Common sense. Why the need for illegible print, I wonder?
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

greg

There is no requirement, it's only a suggestion as you can still ignore people. Once people are known to be bullies in an online setting they will lose credibility anyways. It can come to a point where they get bored because they have no effect.

Perhaps in online forums, having a reputation thread that people can reference is a good solution. So new members can reference that thread and know immediately who to act coldly and dismissive toward. The people with the worst reputation will know that harassing others won't be rewarded, and either stop or get bored and leave. They continue because they provide some good qualities and might even be helpful sometimes. But it's probably better to not even indulge in gratitude towards such people, either.

greg

You all agree but realize that online (and IRL) safe spaces are possibly the primary cause for the strong political division in the US.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2020, 10:53:36 AM

I don't know how Greg's mind works, so I can't answer this. :D

Florestan

Quote from: Mirror Image on June 05, 2020, 11:00:19 AM
I don't know how Greg's mind works, so I can't answer this. :D

Urmmmm... ahemmm.... it was Karl, actually.

EDIT: I see that meanwhile he printed it normally. Very good.

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Mirror Image

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2020, 11:02:47 AM

Ah, sorry! I got confused. :P Nothing new there. ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2020, 11:02:47 AM

I don't kmow why that font-resizing plagues me when I'm posting from my Kindle....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on June 05, 2020, 10:53:36 AM

No need: Act of Algorithm.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

arpeggio

+1 from me as well.

SimonNZ

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 04, 2020, 01:22:59 PM
I'm sure everyone is busy, but if this idea is going to be a hard "no" then I'm going to need to hear a hard no at some point.

"..."

yeah. okay. whatever.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 08, 2020, 01:06:23 AM
"..."

yeah. okay. whatever.

I wrote you a PM on Friday which you haven't yet taken the time to answer, so I don't feel unduly upset by your impatience.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)