Consider banning politics

Started by bwv 1080, February 07, 2019, 04:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
But where does one draw the line? It's one thing to discuss politics and it's another to discuss them the way they're carried on here with the endless parade of ad homs and constant belittling.

That's true, and I know I've been guilty of some of that myself. I guess the line is where the mods have to step in and close the threads for a few days and tell everyone to cool it.

But at the same time its not necessary to view a heated entrenched argument as insulting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2020, 06:43:56 PM
That's true, and I know I've been guilty of some of that myself. I guess the line is where the mods have to step in and close the threads for a few days and tell everyone to cool it.

But at the same time its not necessary to view a heated entrenched argument as insulting.

I'm not disputing the arguments, I'm disputing the need to put each other down because there's a disagreement. Two people can disagree but it doesn't have to resort to putting the other person down because they don't agree, which is what I've seen too many times in the political threads here.

SimonNZ

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2020, 07:15:44 PM
I'm not disputing the arguments, I'm disputing the need to put each other down because there's a disagreement. Two people can disagree but it doesn't have to resort to putting the other person down because they don't agree, which is what I've seen too many times in the political threads here.

I suspect that on many though not all occasions its not because of the political matter under discussion or the point of view but because they're continuing with some other kind of behavior than many have asked them to stop.. The insulting language is then a way of trying to impress upon them that continuing when many have asked politely for them to stop doing a certain thing is just a form of trolling.

Mirror Image

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2020, 07:47:59 PM
I suspect that on many though not all occasions its not because of the political matter under discussion or the point of view but because they're continuing with some other kind of behavior than many have asked them to stop.. The insulting language is then a way of trying to impress upon them that continuing when many have asked politely for them to stop doing a certain thing is just a form of trolling.

Trolling is certainly a good word to describe it. Anyway, I made my points on the previous page and whether they're valid or not is left for others to decide.

FelixSkodi

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2020, 07:47:59 PM

The ignore function exists as does the report function. I stress that last part because the mods here are awesome, especially Gurn and Knight (I state these two as these are the two I've had the most interactions with).

SimonNZ

Well, to give one example from the politics threads, there's one member - for the sake of anonymity let's call him "teddy bear" - who I want to hear from because he seems to have intelligence, be well read and has a different perspective. But I want to hear from the best or sincere version of himself, not the arrogant ass version, and unfortunately the arrogant ass is what we get 90 percent of the time. Ignore would be writing him off as worthless, which I don't think is the case. Just very very very difficult and frustrating.

FelixSkodi

Quote from: SimonNZ on May 12, 2020, 08:10:07 PM
Well, to give one example from the politics threads, there's one member - for the sake of anonymity let's call him "teddy bear" - who I want to hear from because he seems to have intelligence, be well read and has a different perspective. But I want to hear from the best or sincere version of himself, not the arrogant ass version, and unfortunately the arrogant ass is what we get 90 percent of the time. Ignore would be writing him off as worthless, which I don't think is the case. Just very very very difficult and frustrating.

Lol. For posters like that, even though I love "teddy bear," I simply ignore the thread they are going-off in or I simply scroll past their posts. I think we all have, and are, posters who we value in most instances and not others. Plus, let's say they really annoy me, which I doubt might happen, then I just get off the forum and go do something else that I like. I think if you banned politics that those posters might just get up and leave and migrate to a place that was not so heavy-handed.

But, you must also recall that Iago is one of my favorite posters ever; I still revisit his profile to read through them. Now, he was a cuddly teddy bear.  ;D

Here's him at his best:
Quote from: Iago on May 31, 2009, 04:04:05 PM
There is lots of music by Bach that can be described by a word starting with the letter "B". But that word isn't "beautiful". That word is "BORING".

Tiresomely BORING. BORING to the point of sleep induction in the listener.
So BORING that it makes me turn off my audio system.
I have never owned a recording of music by any of the Bachs, and never will.
The only Bachian experiences I have had were in the concert hall. And they never failed to put me in a catatonic trance of severe ennui and boredom.

UGH, the Bachian style makes me PUKE!.

Don't bother rebutting. My mind and my taste CANNOT be changed. Not after 60 yrs of listening.

Irons

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 12, 2020, 06:43:21 PM
Someone shouldn't even have to use the ignore function if people would be more respectful of each other.

I agree, respect is the key. I am against banning anything, including politics which is impossible anyway. Just look at the coronavirus thread. We come from opposite directions but have enjoyed my discussions with Que on the Brexit thread, argument without rancour. To use a term in great use at the present time I have chosen to "self-isolate" from the Boris Johnson thread. Respect is in short supply there.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

david johnson

YES!  I support banning politics from the entire universe :P

71 dB

I cleared up my ignore list. Nobody is ignored by me now and wasn't actually ignored before because I kept clicking the "you are ignoring this person, click to read the message" links so ignore function didn't help me ignore anything, it only caused me more work.  :P Ignore function should be strong: When you ignore someone, you see zero evidence of the activity, not even the posts where someone quotes someone you ignore.

The only effective ignore function is to leave the forum, but I'm not doing that either.

I want to be respectul, but my lack of self-esteem and frustrations in life make me weak and I become disrespectful easily. Looks like that's my life, and I got to live it this way. The best advice I can give to myself is: People will always disagree and it's ok.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: david johnson on May 14, 2020, 01:27:19 AM

How are you going to run the society without politics? Total anarchy?

pjme

warning :
look at the  :P smiley before writing a reaction

steve ridgway

Quote from: david johnson on May 14, 2020, 01:27:19 AM

+1 The rest of the universe seems to get along just fine without it 8).

71 dB

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 14, 2020, 03:13:41 AM
+1 The rest of the universe seems to get along just fine without it 8).

Even without plutocracy?

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2020, 01:16:29 AM
I agree, respect is the key. I am against banning anything, including politics which is impossible anyway. Just look at the coronavirus thread. We come from opposite directions but have enjoyed my discussions with Que on the Brexit thread, argument without rancour. To use a term in great use at the present time I have chosen to "self-isolate" from the Boris Johnson thread. Respect is in short supply there.

I agree with Irons tactics, but disagree regarding respect. If you don't have the willpower to ignore, the rest of us shouldn't be punished for your lack and inability.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 14, 2020, 07:37:58 AM
I agree with Irons tactics, but disagree regarding respect. If you don't have the willpower to ignore, the rest of us shouldn't be punished for your lack and inability.

"Respect yourself and others will respect you." - Confucius

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2020, 08:14:17 AM
"Respect yourself and others will respect you." - Confucius

Why do you care that random people, who you don't know and likely will never meet, respect you?

MusicTurner

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 14, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Why do you care that random people, who you don't know and likely will never meet, respect you?

Alternatively, there's something appreciable in not wanting to display one's oh-so-impressive-cynicism, or the like.

FelixSkodi

Quote from: MusicTurner on May 14, 2020, 08:31:15 AM
Alternatively, there's something appreciable in not wanting to display one's oh-so-impressive-cynicism, or the like.

We've had and have threads specifically designed to objectify women. That someone called you a nitwit should be the least of your worries.

Irons

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 14, 2020, 07:37:58 AM

You are right. Anything else water off a ducks back but politics = >:D. Is a music forum though. :(
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.