Consider banning politics

Started by bwv 1080, February 07, 2019, 04:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Irons on May 14, 2020, 10:17:15 AM
You are right. Anything else water off a ducks back but politics = >:D. Is a music forum though. :(

I've been on other forums dedicated to a particular topic, but they gated the politic forum. That is a possible solution, I suppose, for those that can't control themselves.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Philoctetes on May 14, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Why do you care that random people, who you don't know and likely will never meet, respect you?

I don't expect them to respect me personally, but a person can try to be respectful of another person's opinion without resorting to ad homs or flame-throwing.

FelixSkodi

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2020, 04:25:25 PM
I don't expect them to respect me personally, but a person can try to be respectful of another person's opinion without resorting to ad homs or flame-throwing.

Ah, yes. An edict from the paragon of virtue.

Mirror Image

SimonNZ

Well this is a peculiar situation...

To clarify a little what I meant before I flounced off: I do honestly believe the moderators here are fine people who do a fine job and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. My frustration was with the trolls and with the nature of every discussion board, good bad or otherwise that I've experienced for the trolls to ultimately get their way through sheer persistence, even if that just means destroying something or poisoning the well. I see an example of this as two political threads being closed and one started by a troll, which I believe gives him some powers over it, being open. If I was being calmer and more helpful I might have suggested that they should all be closed and a mod start a new one with their own guidelines in the header. I submit that idea now.

And yes, I know my responses on these threads would not always be characterized as "when they go low we go high".

I have, however, tried to keep political discussion exclusive to those threads as much as possible, have even tried to nanny political discussions that have popped up elsewhere back where it belongs.

Why have political threads at all? I think peoples attitude to the Diner generally is instructive: the common response seems to be "you could do away with all of it - except those ones I really like". And these are a topics I find necessary and engaging, if often heated. I don't believe 99% of the discussion has been rubbish or just reinforcing the boundaries of the culture wars as two recent opinions stated.

Yes its a classical music site. I've been waiting and expecting my enthusiasm for classical to come back to the level it was on TC before most of my vinyl got stolen and then I had to sell of all my cds during a stretch of hard times. I still read and enjoy the posting of others and contribute a little, though much more to jazz and non-classical in recent years. I'd like to think its been noted that I contribute to those threads and to threads on other cultural pursuits.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

I'm glad you've decided to stick around, Simon.

SimonNZ

I appreciate that, and the kind words from others, and I'm sorry to be making such a melodrama out of this. We'll see.

bhodges

Yes, appreciation here, too (and also for the kind comments on moderation).

--Bruce

André

Welcome back, Simon. You were missed, even If for a few days  :).

Florestan

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 03, 2020, 03:41:41 PM
Well this is a peculiar situation...

Things didn't always go smoothly between you and me but I'm glad you're back.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

ritter

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 03, 2020, 04:21:38 PM
I appreciate that, and the kind words from others, and I'm sorry to be making such a melodrama out of this. We'll see.
Good to see you back here on GMG, Simon!

Best regards from the antipodes,

Que

Glad to have you back, Simon!

Q

Papy Oli

Good to have you back Simon !
Olivier

SimonNZ

Thank you, all.

This little experiment has proven so gratifying I intend to repeat it every four or five days from now on.

Ratliff

Simon's back. Server crashes are not always a bad thing. :)

SimonNZ

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 03, 2020, 03:41:41 PM
My frustration was with the trolls and with the nature of every discussion board, good bad or otherwise that I've experienced for the trolls to ultimately get their way through sheer persistence, even if that just means destroying something or poisoning the well. I see an example of this as two political threads being closed and one started by a troll, which I believe gives him some powers over it, being open. If I was being calmer and more helpful I might have suggested that they should all be closed and a mod start a new one with their own guidelines in the header. I submit that idea now.

I'm sure everyone is busy, but if this idea is going to be a hard "no" then I'm going to need to hear a hard no at some point.

arpeggio

Not only politics, there can be nasty exchanges between people who like and dislike Cage.

If I am unhappy with a thread I avoid it.  Just like members on my ignore list.

SimonNZ

I want the thread, I just don't want the hastily made one by an OP who has shown himself to be a troll, and which has already proven fractious, even (gasp) without my participation. And I especially don't like that this is now being treated as a fait accompli, when everyone states they'd prefer something robust but civilized. Which I think would mean setting out certain criteria in the header from the beginning, for example that responses of mere snark, sarcasm and eyerolling won't be tolerated, just as more offensive or insulting language wont be. The current OP has no intention of following his own "keep it classy, I promise I will" header, and has proven it in only three pages. Nothing good can follow from these beginnings.

arpeggio

Quote from: SimonNZ on June 04, 2020, 04:46:47 PM
I want the thread, I just don't want the hastily made one by an OP who has shown himself to be a troll, and which has already proven fractious, even (gasp) without my participation. And I especially don't like that this is now being treated as a fait accompli, when everyone states they'd prefer something robust but civilized. Which I think would mean setting out certain criteria in the header from the beginning, for example that responses of mere snark, sarcasm and eyerolling won't be tolerated, just as more offensive or insulting language wont be. The current OP has no intention of following his own "keep it classy, I promise I will" header, and has proven it in only three pages. Nothing good can follow from these beginnings.

I agree.